Cricket

Comments

• Brook reaches 300, England are 773-4, a lead of 217 runs.
  • Smith goes for 31 off just 24 balls, England are 779-5.
  • edited October 10

Now Smith, who is intent on scoring quickly, gets a life as Pakistan drop a sitter. England are 742-4, a lead of 186. It's all about time in the game though, I suspect England will declare at 10.10-10.20 to give our bowlers 20-30 minutes at the Pakistan openers before tea.

Edit: The declaration will probably be between 10.00 and 10.10; I forgot to include the 10 minutes between innings in my calculations.
  • Brook goes for 317 off just 322 balls 👏👏👏. England 797-6, a lead of 241.
  • Atkinson only lasts 2 balls. 799-7.
  • England declare (at about 10.07 😊) on 823-7, a lead of 267.
  • edited October 10
    Woakes takes a wicket with the first ball, clean bowled through the gate.
  • Nearly a second, Woakes, at full stretch, couldn't quite hang onto the ball as he grasped at it one-handed.
  • And now a similar attempt put down by Atkinson in the next over.
  • Had to go out for a couple of hours, I come back and Pakistan are 87-6.
  • One of England’s greatest ever days.
    Up there with Headingley ‘81 imo.
  • 191-7, Leach makes the breakthrough after a century partnership. Only 2 more wickets required as Abrar won't be batting.
  • Pope drops a relatively easy catch, he really shoulda taken it.
  • Leach takes a very good caught and bowled, Pakistan are 214-8.
  • All over, Smith stumps Naseem Shah off Leach, and England win by an innings and 47 runs after conceding 556 in the first innings. Crazy game.
  • Leach takes a very good caught and bowled, Pakistan are 214-8.

I got up, turned on and saw that - thought it was an excellent catch.

Then Leach finished them off before I finished making breakfast. 😭

• edited October 14

Back to back tests on 2 strips about 20 feet apart look like being bore fests as unlikely to get results in either, especially as Brook heads the ball onto his own stumps and the bails don’t come off.
    Not exactly a bowlers’ paradise.

Very unusually, they're re-using the strip from the first Test for the second Test 🤔🤔🤔. I mean, it's unusual anyway to play back to back Tests at the same venue, but to use a worn wicket is very unusual.

Sounds extremely suspect to me, they just want to create a spinning pitch to favour their bowlers and ensure a result. Shouldn't be allowed imo, I really hope we win the toss as I don't fancy batting 7th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/ckg057pd3g9o
  • You mean like we produced green wickets to aid our seamers?
  • IronHerb said:

You mean like we produced green wickets to aid our seamers?

Obviously pitches will vary from country to country, but to use a worn pitch is very dodgy imo. Somehow I don't see them doing that if Pakistan had won the first Test.
  • Damn, Pakistan have won the toss and, hardly surprisingly are going to bat. I do think it's really out of order to re-use the same pitch; Pakistan are playing 7 spinners according to Sky Sports.
  • edited October 15
    The ball is spinning already; Leach bowled the 6th over, and Bashir the 7th. Leach strikes in his second over, turning one to uproot the off stump; Pakistan are 15-1.
  • edited October 15
    Leach takes a second, a smart catch by Crawley at mid-wicket this time. 19-2.
  • No further wickets, Pakistan reach 79-2 at lunch.
  • edited October 15
    Finally we get another wicket, just before tea. Potts with the wicket, caught just off the strip (short mid-off?) by Stokes. Pakistan 168-3 with one more over before tea.

Pakistan survive the over and reach tea at 173-3.
  • The new man doesn't last long after tea as Smith takes a decent catch off of Carse, 178-4.
  • Duckett drops a chance off Leach. Not an easy chance, but one that he should have taken.
  • edited October 15
    Looks like we missed a fine edge through to the keeper. A relatively muted appeal from the bowler and a couple of fielders, but nothing behind the wicket from Smith or Root at a close in (with helmet on) first slip. We didn't review, but snicko suggest there was a definite edge.
  • Bashir takes the 5th wicket, that of debutant Kamran Ghulam who goes for 118. Pakistan are 243-5.
  • 259-5 at the close of day. A decent performance by England, but, given how important the toss will undoubtedly prove, will it be good enough?