England in India

Comments

• England all out for 253, 143 behind.
  • Great entertainment. England’s morning but definitely India’s day.
    Love test cricket.
  • edited February 3
    India reach 28 without loss at close of play, a lead of 171.
  • We need some early wickets today 🤞🤞🤞, although, having to bat last, I'm not feeling too optimistic of getting a result tbh.
  • 29-1, Anderson strikes 😊
  • 30-2, another one for Anderson.
  • Close to a third. After surviving being given LBW thanks to a review, Gill survives a very close "umpires call" review by England with a good chunk of the ball appearing to be hitting the bails.
  • edited February 4
    Nelson strikes, 111-3, a superb catch by Stokes, running back, over his shoulder. Hartley with the wicket. Unfortunately the lead is already up to 254, with 7 Indian wickets still to be taken, and with Root off the field after injuring a finger fielding at slip.
  • 122-4, a very smart catch by Foakes off Rehan Ahmed.
  • India reach 130-4 at lunch, a lead of 273 which already feels like a very tough target.
  • Finally we make a successful review in this series, Gill gloves one and is caught by Foakes off Bashir for 104. India are 211-5, already 354 ahead.
  • Another successful review, for LBW this time, although it was very poor by the umpire not to give it on field imo. India 220-6, Hartley with the wicket. The lead is up to 363.
  • After 2 successful reviews, we burn one with an LBW shout off Rehan Ahmed's bowling; it's done too much.
  • India reach 227-6 at tea, a lead of 370. It will be a huge ask when England get back in.
  • 228-7, Rehan Ahmed with the wicket just after tea.
  • 229-8, Hartley takes another.
  • edited February 4
    A bad drop at slip by Crawley off Hartley.
  • The drop of Ashwin has already proved costly, but at least we've now taken Bumrah's wicket. 255-9, a lead of 398.
  • India 255 all out, another smart catch by Foakes off Rehan Ahmed. England need 399 to win, an extremely big ask on an Indian pitch in the 4th innings.
  • edited February 4
    Such a shame, only 4 overs to the close and Duckett goes for 28, 50-1.

Rehan Ahmed comes in as nightwatchman, if such a thing exists under Stokes and McCullum.
  • England reach the close at 67-1. A decent start although a shame to lose Duckett. Root was off the field for most of the Indian second innings so I'm not sure what number he'll be able to bat at. England need a further 332 to win, a huge ask still. At least 4 of the 6 frontline batsmen need to make major contributions.
  • It's amazing that we're even considering that we might chase this down in India, but with this team we just might ...

More likely it will be 1-1 after two and all still to play for. We've taken 20 wickets in each match and our lowest innings so far is 246. Having seen previous tours in India, no matter what happens now I am really happy with this performance.
  • I'll add taking the first two tests to four days is even something, I'm not sure the Indian's know what sort of pitches would be best for them and we having a working opening partnership, a bit nuts but somehow working.
  • Rehan Ahmed goes for 23, England 95-2.
  • Pope also goes for just 23, too many of out batsmen in the series have got to 20 and then not made much more. 132-3 .
  • Root goes for 16 off just 10 balls, a very poor shot imo.
  • Crawley goes for 73 just before lunch, when India review an LBW shout. 194-5.
  • More bad news, Bairstow is given LBW even closer to lunch, is umpires call on hitting wicket, so he's gone as well. 194-6, lunch.
  • edited February 5
    Stokes carelessly run out, he didn't seem to be sprinting and was run out by a direct hit. Sloppy imo. 220-7 .

Having seen the replay, Stokes was very poor there. There was definitely a single there for the taking, he more or less jogged most of it.
  • Foakes gone for 36, England 275-8, needing another 124 to win.