England in India

Comments

• Rehan Ahmed takes his first wicket of the match, Hartley taking the catch on the boundary not long after lunch, 223-4.
  • Meanwhile, at the Gabba, Australia, who let the West Indies reach 311 after having them at 64-5, are currently struggling on 40-4 (they were 24-4). Shame, no-one likes to see that 😂🤣😂.
  • India go past England's first innings total for the loss of only 4 wickets, 250-4.
  • 288-5, Hartley with another wicket, caught on the boundary.
  • 309-5 at tea, a lead of 63.
  • 356-6, Root gets another wicket. India have a lead of 110 so far.
  • It will be all over by this time tomorrow.
  • 358-7, a dreadful (for India) run out, with both batsmen at the same end.
  • edited January 27
    India resume on 421-7, with a lead of 175 already. Can't help feeling it will take an extra-ordinary effort from England to avoid an innings defeat from here.
  • edited January 27
    A maybe slightly fortunate wicket, given out LBW on field but with 2 "umpire's call" when reviewed. Root with the wicket, India 436-8, a lead of 190.
  • Root with another and on a hattrick, 436-9.
  • No further wicket, but a double wicket maiden for Root.
  • India all out for 436, a lead of 190. Well done by England in taking the last 3 wickets for just 15 runs this morning, but we need a vastly improved performance with the bat on a pitch that isn't getting any better if we're to make a game of it.
  • Crawley gone for 31, 45-1.
  • edited January 27
    89-1 at lunch, a solid reply especially off only 15 overs. The worry is how wickets have fallen in clusters so far, and there's certainly some variable bounce to contend with.
  • Duckett got a life, was hit on the pads, given not out and India didn't review; it was three reds.
  • Duckett gone for 47, 113-2.
  • Root given out LBW, there's an "umpire's call" in there but he has to go. 117-3.
  • Bairstow gone for 10, 140-4.
  • Stokes gone for 6, 163-5.
  • 172-5 at tea, still 18 runs behind. A bad session, losing 4 wickets.
  • England overtake India, so at least it won't be an innings defeat. 191-5 .
  • A ton for Ollie Pope, such a contrast to the first innings when he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights during his very brief innings.
  • Pope gets a bit of a life on 110, when he's nearly caught by Axar, in the air and at full stretch, but he can't quite hang onto it nor take it at his second attempt after it bounces out of his hands.
  • Foakes gets one that keeps very low and is gone for 34. 275-6, England lead by 85.
  • 316-6 at close of play. A great final session, 144 runs for the loss of just one wicket. England lead by 126 runs with Pope unbeaten on 148.
  • It will be all over by this time tomorrow.

Pft. What do I know? Hahaha. Well played England and a fantastic knock from Pope.
  • Cheers for all the comments Buffy. England have done pretty well; I have to say their approach to both the batting and bowling attack looks right to me. Yes, India are better at this stuff in India - being spinners and playing spinners - and we'll probably lose the series, but we're already giving them more of a match than we usually manage! We only passed 150 twice in the last series I believe.
  • edited January 27

Cheers for all the comments Buffy. England have done pretty well; I have to say their approach to both the batting and bowling attack looks right to me. Yes, India are better at this stuff in India - being spinners and playing spinners - and we'll probably lose the series, but we're already giving them more of a match than we usually manage! We only passed 150 twice in the last series I believe.

Only 2 out of 4 in the first innings (4 out of 8 innings in total), and in one of the other matches the pitch was truly awful with India themselves only making 145 in their first innings as Joe Root took 5 wickets for just 8 runs in what was at the time the shortest completed Test Match since 1935.

I'll expect similar dodgy pitches should we, by some miracle, get a result in this match; on that last tour we made 578 in winning the first Test before suddenly really struggling for the rest of the tour.
  • Rehan Ahmed goes for 28 as India make an early breakthrough. 339-7, a lead of 149.