Couldn't Think - from January 2024

Comments

• We know what we are” Declan's post on his Instagram stories regarding the anniversary of our European success last year... A nice thing to do and I still like him 😀
  • I will always hold him in the highest regard, also sets a perfect example on and off the pitch at a time when kids need good examples to follow. Hearing him get booed at Arsenal was one of the saddest thing a section of our supporters have done.

• I see a member of the Saudi royal family is involved in a consortium to buy Everton. Assume if it goes ahead Everton will join Newcastle in supporting City’s legal foray against the PL.
  • Everton has quite a few prospective owners, there's a couple of local businessmen who are Everton supporters, an investment company owned by the founder of Dell computers who loaned Everton money in the past, an American who has a stake in Crystal Palace and another American who owns Roma,

I don't think Everton fans care who owns their club, they just want someone to sort out the financial mess the current owners have created so they aren't struggling against relegation for a fourth season in a row or facing another points deduction
  • Mostly for Mrs Grey but all cryptic crossword fans welcome to have a go at this clue I solved this morning.
    'I'm forever blowing bubbles' like East Ender reportedly not enamoured of hippy musical
    ( 7 letters )
  • Reportedly suggests it sounds like they hate Hair (musical) = hair hater. East Ender drops their aitches so sounds like air ater = aerator which can blow bubbles . Simples
  • Excellent!!

Sorry not to respond. I saw the clue you posted, got as far as dropping aitches and sounds like Hair (was thinking to work with 'are') when the guys fitting my new kitchen worktop arrived and ruined my day.
  • MrsGrey said:

Excellent!!

Sorry not to respond. I saw the clue you posted, got as far as dropping aitches and sounds like Hair (was thinking to work with 'are') when the guys fitting my new kitchen worktop arrived and ruined my day.

Did they not get it fitted ok then?

• Reportedly suggests it sounds like they hate Hair (musical) = hair hater. East Ender drops their aitches so sounds like air ater = aerator which can blow bubbles . Simples

That's the thing with these cryptic clues that I have difficulty with; "not enamoured" means "dislike or disapprove of" rather than hate.
    I'll just have to stick to the picture puzzles. =)
  • MrsGrey said:

Excellent!!

Did they not get it fitted ok then?

Its ok now.
    Took just over 7 hours to sort it out.
    The day's plans were scuppered!
  • Sorry Mrs G not to give more time as you were nearly there. Agree with Buffy that it's not the neatest of clues but with the West Ham vibe I couldn't not post it.
  • Alvarez had to be helped off with what appeared to be a hamstring after 30 minutes of Mexico's match with Jamaica
  • Saw the game .did not look good seemed in pain .Or perhaps just upset hard to tell .
  • Suggestiions that it's a serious hamstring tear and he'll be out for 3 months. Typically means he'll miss all of pre-season (which many have felt he needed as he struggled to get through games last season) and the start of the season too. As if we didn't have enough problems .

https://x.com/premsportstv/status/1804690910627717558?s=46
  • well guess he wont be going to Man u ,so at lest thats good news
  • Suggestiions that it's a serious hamstring tear and he'll be out for 3 months. Typically means he'll miss all of pre-season (which many have felt he needed as he struggled to get through games last season) and the start of the season too. As if we didn't have enough problems .

https://x.com/premsportstv/status/1804690910627717558?s=46

Perhaps Flynn might be required more than had anticipated, if deemed good enough by new boss....
  • edited June 23

Perhaps Flynn might be required more than had anticipated, if deemed good enough by new boss....

It's a bit of a problem though; Southampton apparently want him, but they're not gonna wait around forever and if we stall too long to give J-Lo a chance to run the rule over him, they may sign someone else instead. Given how well he played for them last season, you'd think that if we are going to offload him, we're likely to get the best price from them.

• We need another CM full stop. Downes could be 15m towards that.
  • If Soton actually paythat. We should give them Ings. If we mess them about we may have to keep Ings!
  • A real shame for him, but a good rest is also probably what he needs
  • alderz said:

A real shame for him, but a good rest is also probably what he needs

Could be 3 months out and no pre season. So possibly not so good.
  • Yeah, of course, if it's that big an injury that would be a problem. Taking that tweet at face value though, if he misses Copa America but it's not a 'big' injury, that seems that it's not serious enough to take his whole pre-season away.
  • edited June 24
    Doubt most of our internationals on duty will have much of a pre season anyway, maybe just a couple of weeks holiday.
  • Paqueta played the full 90 mins in 0-0 draw with Costa Rica.
  • Paqueta played the full 90 mins in 0-0 draw with Costa Rica.

Did he get booked? 😬
  • The Sun rolling with Shaq O Neal looking to invest in West Ham. That's up there with the most completely left field things I have heard regarding West Ham.
  • C&H reporting that Alvarez's injury is not as bad as first thought and he could be 5-6 weeks rather than 3 months as initially feared

https://www.claretandhugh.info/alvarez-could-return-sooner-than-expected/
  • Paqueta missed a penalty in the first half and scored a penalty in the second half before being subbed in the 79th minute in Brazil's 4-1 win over Paraguay
  • And was booked in the 70th minute 🟡