Couldn't Think - from January 2024

Comments

• Potentially a very good day for Ipswich; Leicester lost, Southampton only drew (before today thay were 8 points behind Ipswich but with 2 games in hand) and Leeds are currently losing 2-1 at Watford.
  • Leeds nick a point with a late equaliser, but still a good day for Ipswich.
  • The list below was included in the BBC article on the school shooting in Finland today. Scary to think that America is believed to have more guns than people.

• That's horrifying when you think how many of them DON'T have guns!
  • A lot of people I know in thr San Francisco Bay Area have guns. Hand guns for protection seem to be an ok thing/norm here. I think in other areas/states, its more a case of what they have (in terms of auto rifles etc) and how many. In Florida it seems everyone has an Arsenal of weapons waiting for someone to attack them ;)
  • There are so many guns in Texas, I'm amazed they haven't named a gun after the state hahaha
  • edited April 3
    According to the Pew Research Center only 32% of Americans own guns although 40% live in a household where someone owns a gun. Around 20% own more than one gun and 9% own five or more guns
    Bazshuayi said:

A lot of people I know in thr San Francisco Bay Area have guns. Hand guns for protection seem to be an ok thing/norm here. I think in other areas/states, its more a case of what they have (in terms of auto rifles etc) and how many. In Florida it seems everyone has an Arsenal of weapons waiting for someone to attack them ;)

There are so many guns in Texas, I'm amazed they haven't named a gun after the state hahaha

45.7% of Texans are gun owners, Florida 35.2%, California 28.3%,

Montana is top with 66.3% while New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Hawaii are bottom with just 14%-15%

The future Mrs shrugged is a non-gun owner but lives in West Virginia, the 5th most gun friendly state (58.5%) and she will be very glad to get away from that when she moves to London

Another reason she is moving is the weather, when I was there a couple of weeks ago we were basking in glorious sunshine one day and it snowed the next. Yesterday there was a tornado and she had to go down to the basement to "shelter in place"
  • And in other news, the mighty Urchins look like they are running away with the Isthmian Premier League - currently ten points clear with two games in hand. Chatham will have to win all four of their remaining games to stand any chance of catching Hornchurch who just need one win out of their remaining six to secure promotion.

Urchins urchins :-)
  • Next Saturday - Hornchurch v Chatham.

COYU
  • Quel surprise! The PL are planning changes this summer to the FFP and P&L rules and will abolish points deductions as a punishment. Fines will be imposed instead which will surely frighten the lives out of the City owners and others such as Chelsea and Newcastle et al.
  • Quel surprise! The PL are planning changes this summer to the FFP and P&L rules and will abolish points deductions as a punishment. Fines will be imposed instead which will surely frighten the lives out of the City owners and others such as Chelsea and Newcastle et al.

Isn't this a bit late for an April Fools joke?

Cue the court case if Everton or Notts Forest go down this year due to the points deduction.
  • Presumably the clubs will be asked to vote on it?
  • More info here https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-considering-huge-ffp-28937721

- A few options under consideration
    - Article short on specifics
    - Will be put to a vote
  • The strapline from that article:

"The Premier League are reportedly considering a change to how breaches of Profitability and Sustainability Rules are punished, with a number of clubs in favour of a new system."

Anyone who votes against points deductions should be immediately investigated. It's like that episode of the Simpsons where the cops trick the criminals into thinking they're going to win a holiday or a car or something.
  • Fines are not deterrents though. Points deductions are, as can be seen by all the squealing currently going on.
  • IronHerb said:

Fines are not deterrents though. Points deductions are, as can be seen by all the squealing currently going on.

Fines are no point for the likes of Man City.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68713522

Some interesting stats. By all accounts it seems like we're a pretty well run club. Although as we all know, looks can be deceiving.
  • How many optometrists does it take to change a lightbulb? 1 or 2? 1 or 2? 😂🤣😂
  • Do optometrists fit you with glasses that are half full ?
  • Everton only get deducted another 2 points, I was hoping for at least another 6, if not 10 for a second offence.
  • They bottled it.
  • edited April 8
    However, the commission accepted Everton's arguments for mitigation in relation to the fact the club has:

Already been deducted points this season
    Suffered a loss of revenue because of the suspension of a sponsorship deal with Russian company USM
    Made an early admission of guilt"

So I want a reduced sentence because I've already been found guilty of a similar offence? I'll remember that when I do my next stint on jury service.

Stopped from dealing with a pariah state.

I'll also admit guilt for next season just in case.

Couldn't make it up really. 😂
  • That's the problem. They are making it up.

The PL introduced an offence without a set of specific sanctions for different types of breach .
  • It's not too difficult to tie in points to a percentage of breach, an increase of set points on top for second or third offences and offering a consideration of a reduction measured against the degree of transparency offered by the club.
  • The PL are praying all clubs with points deductions finish at least those points clear of relegation or there could be litigation over the summer from relegated clubs.
  • PL will hide behind ' independent commission '
  • Congratulations to Hornchurch in securing promotion with five games to play, the work starts now on upgrading the ground and setting the team up to play in a stronger league with a much broader regional footprint, it will be a challenge for sure but I am hopeful they can secure their position in the National League South and maybe even build from there.

Urchins, Urchins
  • MrsGrey said:

More info here https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-considering-huge-ffp-28937721

- A few options under consideration
    - Article short on specifics
    - Will be put to a vote

More on this:

The meeting is taking place today, and despite the 'reports' (seem to have originated with the Daily Mail... hmm...) BBC is categorically stating that they've been told 'that won't happen'. (referring to fines instead of points deductions).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/live/crgylgdrvd8t

I'll just say that again.

Daily Mail.