Couldn't Think - from January 2024

Comments

• People just want content to consume all the time

D' ya think his online name is a reference to Gonzo Journalism. He's wumming his subscribers. Lol.
  • I'm also intrigued by how anyone might think the FA has done anything that they could be sued for by Paqueta. They haven't made allegations, they haven't sanctioned him, or in any way prevented him playing, being paid....
    Crazy idea.

I mean, maybe he is thinking about it, with his ' big team of amazing legal eagles ' but it is a bit mind boggling.

And at a bit of a tangent.. I have a friend who was hired to help Mrs Paqueta learn English. Nuff said, but I could probably get a YouTube channel out of it 😆
  • I just read a bit online about Steve Wright (being way from UK for 15 years means my memory for things a good chunk of time back is good but outside of football I know precious little of what goes on back 'home').

I have to say that I used to love the incomprehensible Elvis character on the show years ago and when I was in my car he was on the radio most of the time. I get that we all like and dislike people for any number of reasons but I have a soft memory spot for Steve Wright.

The article said that 'everybody loved him'. I believe no that this statement wasnt researched enough in ASLEF's neck of the woods ;)
  • I can't understand why the betting issue with paquetta is taking so long. My understanding is that betting companies will have a lot of information regard the accounts used to place the bets and proof of identity is necessary to open these accounts. This should mean its very easy to see if any account is connected to him or a family member. This stuff regard bets from his local town means nothing if the accounts cannot be connected as there would be only suspicion without proof.

If they have some proof it should have been able to be verified by now and if they don't they should move on. It's been seven months since it became public.
  • If they have some proof it should have been able to be verified by now and if they don't they should move on. It's been seven months since it became public.

The Granit Xhaka case, a high profile case which appears quite similar, took 17 months to resolve and resulted in no case to answer.

Kynan Isaac was found guilty of spot fixing, and other betting offences, nearly a year after getting carded in an FA Cup match.

In April 2018 Bradley Wood was found guilty of getting booked in matches in January and February 2017.

It appears these things take time.

• It'd be nice if Paquetta's case took 17 months so at least we'd probbly be keeping hold of him for a couple of seasons
  • Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia pondering the idea of a single "Baltic League" with the top four teams from the three national leagues playing each other in the second half of the season

It seems to have some support from UEFA and FIFA

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/17/baltic-league-could-be-pioneer-for-cross-border-football-in-europe
  • edited February 21
    This is priceless

In 2019 two Waltham Forest councillors commissioned a £7.2k statue of Harry Kane but it has been in storage ever since

They wanted to put it at Chingford station but TfL rejected the idea on safety grounds, worried that it might become a target for fans of other clubs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68350836
  • Surely the only place for it would be outside the Spurs ground, Just as we had the Moore, Hurst and Peters statue lifting the world cup, they could have had Kane statue lifting the ........., oh hold on.
  • It seems he was born in Chingford, this pair of plums got Waltham Forest council to pay for it and they're unlikely to donate it to Haringey

They rejected a proposal to put it in Ridgeway Park which is in their ward
  • Just noticed on another site that Ken Brown celebrated his 90th birthday last Friday - how did we all miss that?
  • We didn’t all miss that, it was on the OS.
  • Just noticed on another site that Ken Brown celebrated his 90th birthday last Friday - how did we all miss that?

Don't worry, I missed his 80th, he said he was fine with it.
  • We didn’t all miss that, it was on the OS.

Thorn, I rarely go on the OS unless someone on here suggests or recommends it.
  • Joe Hart going to retire.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68371796

I could have opened a new thread in the 'past players' category, but we probably won't be discussing it much.

I thought it remarkable, though, that this was the para on his past career.

Hart has made 690 club appearances, having also turned out for Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Blackpool, Birmingham, Torino, Burnley and Tottenham.
  • MrsGrey, it's obvious isn't it, we're being cancelled. :(
  • We all tried to forget his time with us so why shouldn’t the BBC
  • edited February 22
    Freddie Potts could be getting a day out at Wembley; he's on a season long loan and is a regular starter at Wycombe Wanderers who have reached the final of the EFL Trophy against Peterborough United in April. Gideon Kodua also joined Wycombe on loan in January, but he's barely played (an injury time sub appearance) and wasn't even on the bench for the semi-final win against Bradford City last night.
  • We all tried to forget his time with us so why shouldn’t the BBC

To be fair, I actually had forgotten

• Just seen that Stan Bowles has died .Loved him when he played for QPR ..RIP
  • I remember many years ago when he was well past his prime playing for Brentford. It was a nothing end of season game and the crowd were let’s say ‘teasing’ him while he was by the line coming off the pitch as the game finished. He stood there, smiled and gestured for more with a smile on his face. He was shot as a footballer but you couldn’t take away that he was one of an era’s ‘ballers’ and an entertainer that today’s game wouldn’t be able to accommodate. RIP Stan Bowles
  • Everton's deduction reduced to 6 points. I can only hope it will be a further 10 points for the second offence:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273436
  • Well they will be up for there next game wonder who it is .oh right of course its us
  • Everton's deduction reduced to 6 points. I can only hope it will be a further 10 points for the second offence:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273436

I am not in favor of a points sanction as it seems so subjective and arbitrary, this decision makes it seem even more so.

I struggle with balancing the need for a meaningful punishment with the massive benefit that the clubs around them enjoy, especially if a club that would be relegated is “saved” as a result.

The crime is financial and probably driven by egregious transfer policies, I would impose a lengthy transfer ban, the team would be weakened and at least the league position would be decided by actual results

Just a thought

• But the transfer ban would impact future seasons, not the season in which the offence occurred. Plus, having spent over budget on acquiring better quality players, those players will (theoretically) continue to give the club an advantage over lower-spending competitors for a number of seasons (depending on the contract they were signed on).

I don't think that punishment would be fair.
  • NBC showing a nice piece on Clyde Best.
  • MrsGrey said:

But the transfer ban would impact future seasons, not the season in which the offence occurred. Plus, having spent over budget on acquiring better quality players, those players will (theoretically) continue to give the club an advantage over lower-spending competitors for a number of seasons (depending on the contract they were signed on).

I don't think that punishment would be fair.

Do both.

• Happy 84th birthday Mr Lyall. You gave me some of my favourite memories as a West Ham supporter.