Couldn't Think - from January 2024

Comments

• His birthday was actually a few days ago, on 24th February, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing he was still alive to celebrate it.

I certainly still cherish the FA Cup wins under him in 1975 and 1980, and our highest ever league placing in 1985/6.
  • His birthday was actually a few days ago, on 24th February, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing he was still alive to celebrate it.

I certainly still cherish the FA Cup wins under him in 1975 and 1980, and our highest ever league placing in 1985/6.

We were the last team (not from the top tier) to win the FA Cup. Not sure if it will ever be done again.
  • Fab is usually fairly reliable so reasonable to post this I think:

• It's been picked up and repeated widely by UK media. All cite various reports in Italy. No link as yet to an official announcement, but looks legit.
  • Doping horses, dogs? ;)
  • He was definitely lethargic in many games I watched so not a total surprise.
  • Reported it was a performance enhancing drug 😆
  • Just imagine how poor his play wouldve been without those performance enhancing drugs!
  • Have had a friend who works in a lot of high legal cases just tell me

"You won't hear it anywhere else yet, but City are taking the prem to arbitration over the valuation of their sponsorships"

Not exactly the most shocking news but i would hesitate to guess that if they are doing this then i would imagine that they are about to get slapped with something heavy in the form of maybe points deductions or something.
  • either that or if they can change the way the PL calculates Fair Value for sponsorships they can create a few loopholes for themselves.
  • It should not be too complicated if they take similar sponsorship deals of champions League clubs in the Premier league along with Spain, Italy and Germany relating to deals not connected to the owners. Add a little on to be safe, maybe 10% to prevent it being contested and that's your value. Anything over could reasonably be said to be inflating income to circumvent financial fair play.
  • It should not be too complicated if they take similar sponsorship deals of champions League clubs in the Premier league along with Spain, Italy and Germany relating to deals not connected to the owners. Add a little on to be safe, maybe 10% to prevent it being contested and that's your value. Anything over could reasonably be said to be inflating income to circumvent financial fair play.

Unfortunately I think that's a bit too simplistic, given that the PL is the biggest league in the world (by quite a chunk I suspect) in terms of TV rights, but yes, there should be a solution out there.

• Yes, it shouldnt take a football financial genius to work out a ball park (as there cant be too many extra factors involved)
  • Who has a problem with him in Korea? :)

Jesse Lingard said he felt "blessed and grateful" to have made his debut for FC Seoul on Saturday even though he was roundly booed during their 2-0 defeat to Gwangju.
  • Just looking at our highest appearance makers in the current squad. Cresswell (338), Antonio (292), Ogbonna (244) and Fabianski (190) are in the top five, and are all out of contract this summer. Also in the top 10 are Benrahma (155) and Johnson (100) who both have question marks over whether they'll be here or not.

If those guys aren't around, Tomas Soucek (192) and Jarrod Bowen (190) will be miles ahead of the next guys. If all of the above people are gone, the top 5 looks like this.
    1. Soucek (192)
    2. Bowen (190)
    3. Coufal (139)
    4. Zouma (87)
    5. Paqueta (70)

If I went down to the top 10, Danny Ings would have snuck in.

I know this doesn't really matter, but I personally always like it when we have at least a handful of long serving players. It gives a sense of stability that I think is important.
  • Benrahma got his 4th start in five games at the weekend although he got subbed after 77 minutes. That must feel very familiar..

Ironically the one game he didn't start he came on a half time and scored the winner.
  • Fab is usually fairly reliable so reasonable to post this I think:

That pic is almost caption competition worthy…….my entry, “ hey Paul, I know it is irritating but before you leave tonight, do not forget that we have the mandatory drug test thing going on today”

• Paqueta has been called up by Brazil for friendlies against England and Spain at the end of the month

But

A source at the FA has confirmed to C&H that he is still being investigated over the betting thing
  • The relegation battle in the Championship is reaaly hotting up. Rotherham look gone on only 19 points, but the next 8 places which includes 2 relegation slots, are covered by only 2 points, with Sheffield Wednesday, who've been in the drop zone most of the season and currently in 23rd, being one of the form teams in the division having won 5 of their last 6.
  • Came across this on Facebook

• edited March 7
    MIAHammer said:

Came across this on Facebook

There's a lot of hair in that squad.
  • I never knew Terry Hurlock started out with us, a Millwall legend to may of their fans.

The thinking mans Vinny Jones

Quotes from From Wiki

"I stayed away from him as much as possible!" – David Beckham recalls a match against Fulham during his loan spell at Preston North End[30]

"Some of us [Millwall players] were playfully goading Terry about what he was going to do to Vinnie Jones in the upcoming fixture with Wimbledon. Without saying a word, he got up from the table and walked to the entrance of the pub and ripped the door off its hinges" – Millwall teammate Tony Cascarino[30]

"Absolute hero. He was a very, very hard player, but a very, very intelligent player" – Millwall supporter Bob Crow[4]

"Intimidating? He just had to growl at the opposition and they'd be scared, but he was also a decent player" – Millwall teammate Teddy Sheringham[31]
    Q: "What's your favourite animal?" A: "Terry Hurlock" – Millwall teammate Neil Ruddock[32]

"Hurlock was like Michael Bolton crossed with a pit-bull and was brought in to add some bite to the Saints midfield" – Chris Rann, Metro[33]

"I'd come here (Brentford) as a young professional and he just epitomised it. He was just a leader and I only thought – if I could emulate this fellow. He'd get press for his ruggedness and tough tackling, but he could play. Week in, week out, year after year Tel was ripping up trees for Brentford. He was a great player. If you're a poor player you aren't going to go on and play for Glasgow Rangers" – Brentford teammate Terry Evans[34]
  • I was going to hit 'excellent ' but remembered he was a Millwall legend. Couldn't do it. 🤔
  • So far today, Harry Kane has scored his goals 28,29 and 30 in the Bundesliga. Next in the table is Guirassi with 21 and Openda with 17 goals. It seems like Kane is bent on reestablishing the two-power-standard. And yet, it doesn't look lile he will be winning any titles with Bayern Munich this season.
  • I can't make tomorrows game against Villa so i have forwarded my seat to my son as "forward to a friend".
    He has received it with all the information but where in the bottom left hand side you usually have a bit which you can click on and download the ticket there is nothing.
    Could anyone help me with this please?
  • edited March 16
    Mike, I often forward my ticket (I live too far away for evening games) and can't make Sunday. I noticed it was in a different format this week and it seems they now only forward a ticket that is downloaded to phone, not the paper version. My one was received and successfully uploaded to phone, but I didn't do that bit. Have they sent it directly to your son's phone?
  • Mike, Phone the ticket office 03330301966 then Option 1 I think.
  • IronHerb said:

Mike, Phone the ticket office 03330301966 then Option 1 I think.

Son rang them up and they sorted it out and it's now gone to his apple wallet.
    Thanks @Whitehorsehammer and @IronHerb for your help.
  • Does anyone have anything to offer... WHY do players take their shirts off after scoring... What is the impulse?

Makes no sense to me.

( I'm prompted to post while watching the FA cup game and the Man U kid gets sent off for second yellow plus misses semi final.)