Couldn't Think - from January 2024

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Does anyone have anything to offer... WHY do players take their shirts off after scoring... What is the impulse?

Makes no sense to me.

( I'm prompted to post while watching the FA cup game and the Man U kid gets sent off for second yellow plus misses semi final.)

I've wondered the same for years. The conclusion I came to is that most footballers aren't very bright.
  • I would guess like so much human behaviour, they saw it once and then did it themselves without any reflection regard why, it did seem to be contagious which is why they actually made it a bookable offence.

Now it is bookable I can't see how any player would do it, yet still they do. Even Soucek the other day who appears one of the more thoughtful of footballers did it.

I think some used it to advertise a cause which I can sort of understand but it still needs stopping as you can't have everyone advertising their pet cause every single goal.

We also keep getting them for petty retaliation which with VAR they know they can't get away with. match discipline has never been so necessary.
  • It would appear that Forest have received a 4 point deduction for their FFP misdeeds.
  • Would drop them just below Luton and into the bottom 3.
  • Just hope Everton get more =)
  • steve said:

Just hope Everton get more =)

I'd love it for them to get a full 10 points, and for it to stick this time 😊.
  • I always found the one 'mitigating factor' that they argued - deciding to delay selling Brennan Johnson after the accounting deadline because they could get a higher fee than selling at an earlier date - utterly ridiculous.

I'm glad the Commission rejected it.
  • It is a factor (in terms of its transfer size and the timing) but it doesnt make up for the 100 other players they signed! :)
  • The point is, if you’re needing to miss deadlines in order to increase revenue to meet the rules, you are doing something wrong. Ultimately, that’s bad planning.
  • Gonna be a car crash at the end of the season, with appeals, counter appeals and legal wrangling.
    So glad we’re not involved in it.
  • edited March 19
    Last day of Pl is 19 May.
    Latest date for wrapping up final appeals hearings (NF and Everton) 24 May.

While not a huge amount of time, it potentially leaves clubs not knowing which league they will be playing in next sesaon. There's been criticism that it could mean some clubs going into the summer not knowing if they are planning for PL or Champo football. Having thought about it, I'm not convinced that's a huge problem; bottom clubs (if well run) will be doing this anyway during the latter part of the season .... it's just a delay of a few days until they can with certainty rule out one of the scenarios..
  • They delivered the verdict on Forest a few weeks before they had to, so there's no reason any appeal process shouldn't be dealt with before the end of the season (the 24th May date was, I believe, for an April initial verdict). Hopefully Everton will be dealt with in the next week or two.

• Alvarez getting a nice 2 and a half weeks extended break to recharge. Considering Moyes has said he has had trouble with adapting to the intensity of the two games a week, hopefully the 2 week break gives him a good recharge going into the final set of games
  • I know he says a lot less than he used to, but I just wish he'd shut up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68610772
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68618210
    That letter wouldn’t have been written if they were at or near the top of the league would it?
  • Slacker said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68618210
    That letter wouldn’t have been written if they were at or near the top of the league would it?

Yer gotta laugh. 😂
  • Reminds me of Gort, the alien robot from The Day The Earth Stood Still. 🤷‍♂️ 😂
  • Reminds me of Morph hahaha
  • edited March 22
    Nike changing the England Flag on the latest England Kit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68632034
    Hopefully no one will buy them.

I wonder how they would have reacted if it was the USA flag being changed?
  • Some of the sizes are already sold out, so I have a feeling it's not as big a deal to many as being made
  • Of course those people who have Nike shares hope it sells real well =)
  • edited March 22
    It's not like Nike sprung this on an unsuspecting world. The FA would have agreed to it.

I'm looking forward to Squire's next cartoon.
  • edited March 22
    I think it looks quite smart, and as Mrs Grey has said there is no way Nike would just produce a new England shirt without a prototype being shown to the FA first. So If anyone is responsible it must be the FA rather than Nike.
  • I've been reading some of the #outraged comments and have had to laugh at some of them.
  • Outraged of Penge... Whatever next? They'll be having leagues for women and even a national team for them!!
  • Verstappen out of the Australian Grand Prix after only 6 laps 😊😊😊.
  • Sad to hear of the death of Hugh Southern who co-founded the West Ham forum Claret & Hugh.
  • Leicester are going all Spursy in the Championship. They looked certainties for automatic promotion all season but have suffered a real drop in form recently and lost to Bristol City today, taking them out of the automatic places should Ipswich hold on against Blackburn. It will be two of three but Ipswich and Leeds are in great form at present.