Couldn't Think - from November 2023

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Tbh, I enjoy cryptic crossword puzzles, although I don't have that much time to spend on them now.

If anyone else is a fan, it would be great to have a separate thread where we can do the 'got the answer but not sure why it's that' ( also known as parsing) type discussion. For me, that's a big part of the fun.

( I know, I'll get my coat....)

I haven't got the patience to give it a go. There's a very good chance my phone would get thrown out of the window hahaha
  • Something I find interesting is that I still hear on commentary sometimes that Bowen does a lot of defensive work, and conversely that you sacrifice some of that by having Paqueta and/or Kudus in the side (I think it was Andy Townsend on comms for the Freiburg game, and he said exactly this about Kudus).

I was curious about their defensive contributions, so I've just looked it up on FBRef, and it's (to me, at least) fascinating stuff, and shows what Moyes a) expects and b) succeeds in getting from his forward players.

These stats are for the Premier League, and compared to all other wingers and attacking midfielders in the league this season (except for Bowen, who is compared to other strikers). So, where it says that Kudus is in the 99th percentile for Tackles, that means he is in the top 1% of all wingers and attacking midfielders when it comes to tackles attempted.

It's a sea of green, here, meaning our three most creative and dangerous forward players also do WAY more defensive work than the vast majority of comparable players in the league.

• Nice work alderz, although it's no surprise to any of us.

Just proves that Townsend, like most commentators, don't really know much about the clubs they're paid to speak about.
  • Fab’s contract extended to summer 2025.
  • All 7 puzzles are towards the bottom of the page linked, as is the "Final Challenge".

Ah. I might have another look. So far I'm baffled.
  • All 7 puzzles are towards the bottom of the page linked, as is the "Final Challenge".

Ah. I might have another look. So far I'm baffled.
    That's not a good look for an Intelligence Officer test. 😂
  • cooper sacked at Forest
  • More fun and games in Turkey, a Club President called his players off the pitch in protest against the ref not awarding a penalty:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67767410
  • edited December 2023
    After their superb chase at the weekend to win the 3rd T20 against the West Indies, England were put in this evening and made their highest ever score in the format, 267-3, with another century from Phil Salt.
  • A parrot has learned the words to West Ham's famous song about Jarrod Bowen...

After a google search the parrots name is Arnie. It says that he doesnt use the swear word in the song. However, after listening to the clip, he actually does say the 'S' word but leaves out Dani Dyer ;)

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/9896709/arnie-the-parrot-west-ham-jarrod-bowen-song/
  • I'm in Hereford picking up a couple of crates. I'm going to see if I can find Bowen's potato field and try a couple of laps.
  • First step to a glorious England call-up?
  • More trouble in Turkey, match abandoned after Istanbulspor chairman ordered his players to leave the pitch after they were denied a penalty against Trabzonspor

Maybe the Turkish FA should put up fences around the directors' box and lock them in during matches
  • Good luck finding the field Preston - potatoes only in the ground from February to October at most and also those pesky farmers change fields from one year to next.
  • MrsGrey said:

First step to a glorious England call-up?

I saw a couple of fields and I got cramp just looking at them hahaha
  • Merry Christmas everyone, wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday.
  • Merry Christmas everyone, wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday.

Ta, and ditto 😉
  • Merry Christmas one and all.

Walking round our hay meadow just after dawn to build an appetite for breakfast, Mrs and I saw a barn owl come out of an owl box I made and put in a big ash tree 12 years ago. It's the first time that it has been used.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67722627

BBC football quiz.

I just did the West Ham bit. I got 4 out of 12. O.o
  • MrsGrey said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67722627

BBC football quiz.

I just did the West Ham bit. I got 4 out of 12. O.o

I got 9 which I was quite pleased with 😊😊😊, and even moreso now 😂🤣😂.

• I managed 8, and I was prepared to brag but it turns out buffy has beaten me to it, and beaten me generally.
  • Personally, I see absolutely no shame in getting 4 =)
  • I got 9 with a few correct guesses =)
  • 9 for me too.
  • I got more points on the Liverpool and Arsenal quiz than on the West Ham one ;)
  • edited December 2023
    Bazshuayi said:

I got more points on the Liverpool and Arsenal quiz than on the West Ham one ;)

No surprise there 😂🤣😂
  • (puts the bait out there....)
  • I scored 8, not bad for me hahaha
  • 7. But I am top of the Prediction League thingy (so pigs do fly)
  • I stumbled across this article on TV revenue for football: Linky to FT article, thought you might get a subscription request - it seems to vary with the FT.

Basically it raises a number of interesting points for us:
    1 - English Premier League football gets a lot of TV revenue, and shares it out pretty evenly as prize money. This explains why a poor position last year didn't hurt too much financially.
    2 - Our ECL victory was financially worth about seven positions in the league (based on the figures on this site), which seems a pretty even trade to me!
    3 - Even better if you can have both - the money earned in the Europa League so far is already worth about four positions.
    4 - Even so, Europe at our level seems to be only about a 10%+boost to finances. I haven't seen any Champions League figures, which I assume is significantly more lucrative.
This discussion has been closed.