Couldn't Think - from November 2023

Comments

• The positive about sin bins is that the sinned against team gets the benefit rather than a.n.other team the following week or later …
  • Dodger58 said:

The positive about sin bins is that the sinned against team gets the benefit rather than a.n.other team the following week or later …

This is something that I and many others on here have thought needed to be rectified.
    Yet another idea taken from Rugby - who'd'a thunk it. ;)
  • Did rugby take it from Ice Hockey?
  • IronHerb said:

Did rugby take it from Ice Hockey?

According to two very quick google searches, it was introduced in ice hockey in 1916, and it was introduced into rugby in 2001.
  • That may be so, but somehow I don't think that ice hockey is much in the thoughts of football administrators.
  • That may be so, but somehow I don't think that ice hockey is much in the thoughts of football administrators.

With the amount of American influence on the game these days I don't know how much their thinking about Ruby, either
  • Does America have a lot of influence on football these days? The USA doesn't have a member on the FIFA council at the moment and the president of CONCAF is Canadian so not sure how their exercising their influence.

If anything its the Arab oil countries that seem to have a major influence, FIFA's senior vice president is from Bahrain while two of the AFC's six members are from Qatar and Saudi Arabia
  • I was thinking more of their influence over clubs, given they own a lot of them. They're also one of a handful of countries to host multiple world cups, so presumably their associations relationship with FIFA is pretty good.
  • I doubt if the clubs have much influence over the IFAB and from reading a bit more I doubt if this is anything to do with American influence

Apparently the FA began trials with "sin bins" in 2017/18 at 31 English grassroots leagues then expanded it to another 61 leagues the following season. Since 2019/20 all Step 5 and 6 leagues have had "sin bins" (that's tier 9 and 10)
  • It's actually snowing.

Right now.

1 December.

No wonder I'm 🥶🥶
  • Log fire , decent coffee , sat in the clubhouse looking out on the 18th green which is actually white . We decided to give golf a miss today.
  • Great fun playing golf in the snow especially putting. The ball is the size of a football when it reaches the hole.
  • =) Snow you guys dont know what snow is ,Come over here to canada and see what snow is really like
  • Meanwhile in Leyton we have bright sunshine and clear blue skies although it is 3°C/37°F

• Clear blue skies in Manchester but bleeding cold hahaha
  • steve said:

=) Snow you guys dont know what snow is ,Come over here to canada and see what snow is really like

Not quite a match, but I have spent 3 winters (most recently 2 years ago) in ski resorts in the French Alps, plenty of snow around then.
  • MrsGrey said:

For me, a large proportion of these issues are down to the stupid 'clear and obvious' element that the FA (?PL) introduced. You are adding yet another layer of 'judgement call'.

The aim of VAR should be to get THE RIGHT DECISION.

As it is, we've got a system that is happy for the wrong decision to stay, as long as it's not very wrong, maybe.

So much of the anger a bout reffing decisions arises when opinions differ... so why an official body would decide to add in another layer of opinion is beyond me.

From the BBC website:
    As first reported by ESPN, while a majority of the panel felt on-field referee Michael Salisbury was wrong to award Fulham's first penalty for Nelson Semedo's 'foul' on Tom Cairney, and that Vinicius should have been shown a red rather than yellow card for head-butting Max Kilman, in neither instance did they believe the decisions fell into the 'clear and obvious' category that would have warranted them being overturned.

This proves that VAR just isn't fit for purpose; they agree that 2 mistakes were made that weren't corrected by VAR, but then say VAR was working correctly. Can't anyone in authority see what nonsense this is?
  • One again, the problem being caused by “clear and obvious” wording.
  • England's women (guessing it would be a GB team) could well end up missing the Olympics next summer, currently losing 0-2 when we need a win to stay in with a chance of qualifying. Poor keeping from Earps for the second goal, we look well out of sorts generally at the back, obviously not helped by injuries to Williamson and Bright.
  • 1-2, come on the Lionesses.
  • 3-2 😊😊😊
  • edited December 2023
    Still need another goal for matters to be in our own hands (one more match to play in the Nations League), but a win leaves us with at least a chance.
  • Finishes 3-2, great comeback, depends on the final matches, Scotland v England and Netherlands v Belgium. We need to win and hope the Netherlands don't.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/01/footballer-ravel-morrison-fined-1000-for-using-dead-persons-blue-badge

He never grew up, did he?
    Sad, really, that like so many young people with talent and potential, they fall short. As a result of poor decisions, lack of guidance and, probably, a certain amount of stupidity.
  • Great fun playing golf in the snow especially putting. The ball is the size of a football when it reaches the hole.

I remember playing in Ireland, starting in sunshine and then in a hailstorm. We all went to the bar and didn't notice when the sun came out again 🍺
  • I know things have gone up, but this is ridiculous imo; with lower annual mileage and an extra year's no claims bonus, my car insurance renewal has doubled with my existing insurer. I'll be shopping around this year.
  • It seems notorious this year. Complaints are off the scale.
  • Never mind motor insurance, imagine if there were no NHS and everybody had to have private 'ealth insurance.
  • Never mind motor insurance, imagine if there were no NHS and everybody had to have private 'ealth insurance.

You probably won’t need to imagine for long!
This discussion has been closed.