Couldn't Think - from November 2023

Comments

• Bowen out the England squad with injury.
  • edited November 2023
    Oh stop it. They don't even play him and manage to injure him now.

So That's Antonio and now Bowen both injured on international duty and Soucek lucky not to be.
  • Can anybody find an actual, reputable, original report of what has happened to Antonio. A google search is just throwing up hysterical, speculative blogging sites all repeating (and sometimes contradicting) each other. The one common element is 'extent of injury not yet confirmed'.

re Bowen, direct quotes from Soutgate
    “Unfortunately, Jarrod picked up an injury”..I think he felt it a little bit yesterday and then again at the end of training today (Sunday). So we didn’t really have enough time to assess it fully and make a really accurate decision before the game.

“We felt better to leave him in England so that he can get it properly assessed. I don’t think it’s going to be anything serious, but we just didn’t have enough time, and we wouldn’t take a risk in that player.”

So, let's not panic before all the facts are in.
  • Oh stop it. They don't even play him and manage to injure him now.

So That's Antonio and now Bowen both injured on international duty and Soucek lucky not to be.

Just read what happened to Soucek. I’ve never seen a modern day footballer suffer so many head injuries in his career. Got to feel a bit sorry for him!
  • edited November 2023
    Wow, Maguire awful and lucky in equal parts; gives the ball away when under no pressure, then tries to make a tackle in the box, trips himself up, falls into the attacker and takes him down and amazingly doesn't concede a penalty. I'd be gutted if my team didn't get a penalty for that, it might not be deliberate but he definitely took the attacker out.
  • England do now concede a penalty after a VAR review, but it's a very poor decision imo.

North Macedonia lead; Pickford saves, but the rebound is knocked in.
  • Watching England is worse then watching paint dry .
  • Going to switch to the Italy game at lest there's something on that one
  • He's not too bad on Homes Under the Hammer but totally rubbish as a commentator.
  • He's not too bad on Homes Under the Hammer but totally rubbish as a commentator.

Dion Dublin? Yeah, I said the same on Friday, he's shockingly bad.
  • But not as bad as Grealish, TAA & Maguire.
  • The FA has confirmed it is looking into allegations of potentially serious breaches of agent rules in a transfer involving Tottenham, Portsmouth and former England striker Jermain Defoe.

Was it wrong that my insytant first thought was Mr Harry Redknapp?
  • Only a couple of days to go ... this International break has to be the most tedious I can remember.🤢
  • For me, they're all tedious.
  • I was on holiday for most of this break and didn't watch either England game. Would heartily recommend.
  • I think the internationals need to be seen as a novelty celebration of football and not interfere so much with club football.

Within the World Cup and Euro's we do away with qualifying and have a seed system of the top however many teams, then a number of places left free for qualifying for unseeded teams. The tournament begins two or three weeks prior to the main event in the same venue for qualifying knockout competition to be staged. Those who go through join the main comp and those who get knocked out go home. I think this is a little like occurs within Tennis.

This will allow a couple of winter breaks during the season also

I know few will have sympathy but a top player can be playing 38 matches within the premier League, qualifying stages for either the World Cup or Euros in the season, two domestic cups and a Champions League qualifying and potentially knockout rounds.

Should this player reach the final (maybe a city player) of the Champions league his season goes over the Premier League finish, he then joins up with the national squad and plays a summer International cup. Gets three weeks off and starts pre season.

In my view the Caraboo cup can be lost and international qualifying without any dilution of football for the fans.

Footballers are professional athletes, yet I can think of many other sports where the workload is anything like a footballers.
  • International Cricket often now has a preliminary round a week before the main tournament in the T20 competitions, and the smaller teams that qualify are often flying on the back of those victories!

I enjoy following those preliminary weeks.
  • On the one hand seeding might be an attractive prospect for FIFA as it would ensure that all the teams that are going to draw large TV audiences like Brazil, Argentina, Spain, England, Italy and USA make it to the finals

On the other hand they'd lose TV money by not having those teams in the qualifying rounds and apart from a few rare occasions those teams qualify regardless

I'd have a preliminary qualifying round to eliminate some of the smaller nations like San Marino, Malta, Moldova and Faroe Islands before the proper qualifying round

Yes, I know "eliminate some of the smaller nations" sounds a bit ominous...
  • Pilots being used to help with VAR:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67517181

Now I understand that certain skills are transferable and they're looking to improve communication and focus in, at times, stressful and time-pressured situations, but surely the key is to improve the refereeing standards of those making the decisions; the communication mix-up is one instance (albeit one that never should have happened) amongst loads of really bad decisions last season and this.
  • Every little helps!

If you can reduce stress, you can help the ref think more clearly.
  • One thing I have noted over these VAR issues is that the degree the ball needs to be over the line completely seems to be different anywhere else on the pitch than if a goal is involved. So many throw ins and corners given where the whole ball doesn't seem completely over the line yet in a case such as the Newcastle goal it appeared to be over the line yet deemed not to have been.
  • VAR doesn't check the award of throw ins and corners, if a goal is scored it checks from the moment the throw in or corner is taken
  • In the Newcastle game it was checking if the ball had gone out and I felt sure that the degree to which it was over the line would have been given as a throw or corner in every match that weekend as I don't think referees and linesmen look to see if its totally over the line but rather more over than not. Just one of the ways in which refs officiate rather than apply the rules, along with the often stated one in which you can do things at a corner that would be a foul each time at any other place on the pitch.

This was in not out of play according to VAR, but if you watch throws and corners this weekend they will give ones in which its clear to see it hasn't all crossed the line.

https://x.com/Capaulc071189/status/1727588992223195402?s=20
  • The only way a check can be made for the whole ball being across the line is from directly above. From that angle if the whole line is visible then it’s over. From side on the whole line could possibly still be seen but part of the ball is still technically covering the line so not completely across.
    That’s why we have the daft way corners are now taken whereby if any part of the ball overhangs any part of the quadrant it’s in the quadrant even if you can see the whole line.
    Goal line technology takes care of the issue because of all the angles.
    How long before some genius comes up with the idea of using a football the shape of a die to stop the arguments.
  • BBC said:

Plans for football to introduce 10-minute sin-bins for cynical fouls and dissent have been recommended for trialling in the professional game.

The trial will also include a rule allowing only the team captain to approach the referee during a game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67549886

I am (in theory at least) a big fan of both of these rule change proposals - particularly the rule about only captains speaking to the referee.
  • I thought that’s what’s supposed to happen anyway.
  • Don't like the idea of sin bins .To American for me .yellow or red cards are fine with me
  • Sin bins will mean Pickford will never be on the pitch =)
  • steve said:

Sin bins will mean Pickford will never be on the pitch =)

Will they have to introduce scrum-like rules to allow you to rotate on another goalkeeper if they get sin-binned, or is it 10 minutes with an outfield player in goal?
  • I think it is another opportunity for inconsistency from Referees.
This discussion has been closed.