The Ashes

Comments

• 208-6, this looking like it's going to be a struggle.
  • edited July 2023

208-6, this looking like it's going to be a struggle.

We'll be bowling before stumps, for sure.
  • 208-6, this looking like it's going to be a struggle.

We'll be bowling before stumps, for sure.
    Probably before tea, now. Brook gone for 85.
  • Brook gone now. It’s all falling apart and we’ll be lucky to get anywhere near 250. Conditions favour bowlers.
  • 212-7 with Brook's wicket, very poor considering we were 184-3.
  • Brook gone now. It’s all falling apart and we’ll be lucky to get anywhere near 250. Conditions favour bowlers.

That gives us hope, at least. Could be a low scoring test.
  • That gives us hope, at least. Could be a low scoring test.

I'm not saying conditions are great for batting, but the ball doesn't really seem to be doing that much, I just think a few of our batsmen have played poor shots. Australia will probably just try and dig in this evening.

• 250-7 at tea, scoring at 5 an over. Just a shame we're a couple too many wickets down.
  • Yikes. Woakes survives an LBW, hits a four the next ball, and then dropped by Marsh.

That was a dolly, too.
  • edited July 2023
    Woakes given lbw by the umpire, took an age to decide to review (despite us having 3 reviews left and only 3 wickets left to fall) and he's saved by an inside edge that he obviously didn't realise he'd got. Rarely have I seen so many decisions overturned on review as in the last couple of Tests.

A couple of balls later he's given a life by Marsh at gulley (?).
  • Woakes given lbw by the umpire, took an age to decide to review (despite us having 3 reviews left and only 3 wickets left to fall) and he's saved by an inside edge that he obviously didn't realise he'd got.

That was weird. I thought I heard two noises but when Woakes didn't review immediately I thought I must've misheard. It was a big spike, too, so I'm surprised Woakes didn't feel it.
  • edited July 2023
    Wood goes. 261-8.
  • Wood now out for 28.

I get the intent, but with a bit more patience he could have hung around with Woakes and pushed for 300-320.

Broad will come out and swing now, and then there's Jimmy. Won't make 300 now IMO.
  • That was weird. I thought I heard two noises but when Woakes didn't review immediately I thought I must've misheard. It was a big spike, too, so I'm surprised Woakes didn't feel it.

Must admit I thought exactly the same thing, I was sure it sounded like 2 noises but thought I must have imagined it as nothing was mentioned by the commmentators.
  • edited July 2023

Wood now out for 28.

I get the intent, but with a bit more patience he could have hung around with Woakes and pushed for 300-320.

Broad will come out and swing now, and then there's Jimmy. Won't make 300 now IMO.

I get what you're saying, but given the license the batters have under McCullum and Stokes, it seems a bit harsh to not allow less technically proficient players to have a swing when their time with the bat comes.

283 all out.

We desperately need at least 3 wickets this evening (assuming there's no rain).
  • Set up nicely for the evening session innit.
  • The umpires will probably pull the batters off for poor light.
  • Bairstow misses a tough chance down the legside, but he did get a glove on it; would a better keeper have taken it?
  • Early reviewed burned for an edge that was off Warner's arm not bat or glove.
  • Need something here. Both batters settling.
  • Warner goes to Woakes, 49-1.
  • 61-1 close of play. Definitely Australia's day. As I suggested might happen, Australia have just dug in, scoring at less than 2.5 an over.
  • Well, a good day at The Oval. Hard fought with the Aussies getting the conditions this time around. They looked comfortable against Broad and Anderson, time for Jimmy to hang up his boots.
  • Brilliant one-handed catch by Root to dismiss Labuschagne.
    Mark Butcher comment " Labuschagne, 9 off 82 balls, that's why they play Bazball".
    So true, Australia are playing the style of traditional Test cricket that's contributed to the lack of interest in it from later generations.
  • What was Bairstow doing? Guy didn't even move for it.

Great catch by Root. Thankfully.
  • Perhaps Root called for it?🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Bairstow really is the go to scapegoat.
  • I've stopped listening. I'm driving at the moment and I don't want to fall asleep at the wheel.
  • I've stopped listening. I'm driving at the moment and I don't want to fall asleep at the wheel.

Probably safer to listen than post on a forum when you’re driving though.😉

• Hahaha. I'm on my break in sunny Doncaster.