The Ashes

Comments

• Slacker said:

Bairstow really is the go to scapegoat.

No, having seen it he really has to go for it. Imo, as has been mentioned previously, his confidence isn't what it should be, so he's bottling going for stuff that proper keepers would go for so he can't drop them.

• edited July 2023
    Khawaja out lbw, given onfield but is being reviewed. Definitely looked out, and indeed it is. 115-3.
  • Slacker said:

Perhaps Root called for it?🤷🏻‍♂️

There was barely time to see it, let alone call for it.

It should be a 'keepers instinct to go for edges like that, not standby and watch.
  • Head gone now, 127-4.
  • Broad is due a Broad streak. Maybe this is it.

• Slacker said:

No, having seen it he really has to go for it. Imo, as has been mentioned previously, his confidence isn't what it should be, so he's bottling going for stuff that proper keepers would go for so he can't drop them.

To me he just seems very easy to blame and to have a pop at. Ok, he wasn’t great for the first two tests but it seems that some people will blame/ criticise him for almost anything now.
  • I get what you're saying, but I think you'll struggle to find many people that think he shouldn't have gone for that catch this morning.
  • Marsh goes, 151-5, Anderson with the wicket.
  • Carey goes to Root, 170-6.
  • 185-7, Starc goes to Wood.
  • 186-7 at tea. Great session for England, 5 wickets for just 71 runs.
  • edited July 2023
    Bairstow messes up a run out and Smith escapes. He’s a liability.
  • Let’s hope Smith doesn’t go on to get a ton and give the Aussies a lead.
  • edited July 2023
    Smith run out this time, 194-8. Or not, is my stream that far behind or is this a second run out incident?
  • Smith run out this time, 194-8. Or not, is my stream that far behind or is this a second run out incident?

I think your stream is very far behind…
  • alderz said:

Smith run out this time, 194-8. Or not, is my stream that far behind or is this a second run out incident?

I think your stream is very far behind…
    Lol yeah, I've found a slightly more up to date one now.
  • Buffy, not saying your stream is so far behind but you’re watching the Edgbaston test. =)
  • I think that the Aussies should award a baggy green to Bairstow at the end of the series. He’s been one of their better players.
  • Yes it looks as though that messed up stumping is going to cost us again.
  • I think that the Aussies should award a baggy green to Bairstow at the end of the series. He’s been one of their better players.

Guess you never made an error?
  • edited July 2023
    I’ve never made an error that could cost us a test series or the number of errors he’s made.
  • Yeah, it's not the one error in isolation. He's made errors in pretty much every game, and a lot of them were pretty basic.

It's like when Pellegrini persevered with Roberto in goal.

But I actually blame Stokes and McCullum more than Bairstow. They could have admitted they got the call wrong after Edgbaston, but instead doubled down and have now seen more avoidable mistakes that have cost us plenty of runs and, potentially, the series.
  • edited July 2023
    Smith finally goes. 239-8.
  • Great catch by Bairstow wasn’t it?
  • edited July 2023
    Slacker said:

Slacker said:

To me he just seems very easy to blame and to have a pop at. Ok, he wasn’t great for the first two tests but it seems that some people will blame/ criticise him for almost anything now.
    Worth another airing
  • Slacker said:

Great catch by Bairstow wasn’t it?

Regulation for a keeper tbh.
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Worth repeating.
  • edited July 2023
    Now we have Wood bowling short to a tail ender who keeps hitting him for 6. Aussies will have the lead and their more aggressive approach started after that run out fiasco.
  • So Aussie possibly getting a lead is down to a split second decision by Bairstow?
  • I think it is. Before that they would never have started throwing the bat but once Smith had that giant let off they became aggressive and it’s paying off. If he had gone then they’d have been in deep trouble.