The Ashes

Comments

• They’re building a lead of a score which was beyond us in the first innings so we need to get the last two wickets quick.
  • edited July 2023

Pathetic bowling by England to Head. Every ball short and he keeps pulling them.

With the ball moving about it's been a very strange, and expensive, tactic.
  • 211-9, lbw review.
  • edited July 2023
    He's out, umpire's call on height, Murphy goes for 11, the lead is 237. It was back to good length bowling that brought the wicket, who'da thunk it?
  • Still bowling short and still getting thumped.
  • They’ll bat us out of this at this rate. Successive sixes, idiotic bowling
  • All out. 251 to win.
  • 224 all out. England need 251 to win.
  • I thought we were done for the day, but we've got 8 overs or so to survive this evening.
  • Australia burn an early review 😊
  • Next ball, Duckett edges one that might just have carried, but wasn't taken anyway.
  • Duckett a touch fortunate, edges one over the slips. 24-0.
  • No getting out with stupid shots tomorrow. Bat sensibly and we can win this match.
  • Just 5 overs bowled before the close of play, both openers survive and have knocked off 27 runs without loss, 224 needed tomorrow and Monday if needed.
  • The first hour is key, if both openers survive it'll just need patient batting and putting away the bad ball.
  • edited July 2023

The first hour is key, if both openers survive it'll just need patient batting and putting away the bad ball.

Agreed. It needs 'old fashioned' cricket today.

I just hope the team can reign in the Bazball ethic. Play to the conditions and the context of the series. There's enough time and enough talent in the side to make it a comfortable chase, but only if they engage their brains more than they have done so far.
  • I’m fine with them Bazballing today, as long as it works
  • alderz said:

I’m fine with them Bazballing today, as long as it works

I think the point is it hasn't. We're 2-0 down with Bazball, and given what defeat here means I'd rather they played lower risk cricket and got the win.

No guarantees they will, of course, but the preferred approach hasn't worked so I'd be happy for them to try a more conventional tactic.
  • I feel we've struggled to be positive without being reckless against a much better attack than we've faced up until now under McCullen and Stokes.
  • It’s a must win scenario all the way in from now anyway. Anything other than 3 wins and the ashes stay with the Aussies.
  • edited July 2023
    Duckett out lbw, pretty plumb, waste of a review as well. 42-1.

Moeen Ali in at 3, guessing he's been given license to swing. It does maintain a left/right handed combination though I guess.
  • It takes Brook out if the firing line, he hasn't got a good record batting at 3. Bat sensibly today and we can win.
    Baz Ball hasn't really been the problem, it's the dropped catches that have cost us. It's like we've been sponsored by Lurpak.
  • edited July 2023
    Hasn't lasted long, 60-2, Moeen gone for 5.
  • But I'd rather lose Moeen than Brook this early.
  • Crawley gone
  • Crawley gone, 93-3.
  • Root gone now. This is going to be very close.
  • Brainless by Root - again
  • edited July 2023
    131-4, Root gone, caught down the leg-side. 120 needed still, as thornbury says, it's going to be close, certainly unlikely to be a stress-free afternoon.
  • 153-4 at lunch, 98 more needed.