The Ashes

Comments

• Smith gone lbw on review, dreadful decision by the umpire not to give it onfield. 120-3, Wood with the wicket.
  • Looked plumb; was plumb.

Poor from the umpire.
  • Whilst I agree there wasn't too much threat from our bowlers, 2 wickets down in the first session still represents an acceptable, if not great, return imo; thus, for me anyway, a fairly even first session.

I agree with OCS 😱. 2 down after being inserted is a decent return.
  • IronHerb said:

Whilst I agree there wasn't too much threat from our bowlers, 2 wickets down in the first session still represents an acceptable, if not great, return imo; thus, for me anyway, a fairly even first session.

I agree with OCS 😱

😄

• edited July 2023
    In years gone by, I'd agree; you only ever put a team in if you expected to get 3 or more wickets in the first session so only taking 2 would be disappointing. However, that's not how England play cricket any more; if Australia had won the toss and decided to bat, 2 wickets down would be a fairly even first session.

In years gone by I suspect England would have chosen to bat on winning the toss today, but Stokes likes to chase in the 4th innings way more than is usual, so expectations are a bit different when you put the opposition in these days imo.
  • 4th wicket. That could be big. Need to rattle through them now with the likelihood of losing a couple of days to rain.
  • edited July 2023
    Very much needed. I thought it wouldn't be hitting inline (umpire's call at best) but a very good review. 183-4.
  • Another fairly even session imo, again 2 wickets, but we slowed the run-rate down so the Aussies haven't got away from us. Lots of overs to be bowled still though (very poor over rate), and the Aussies have got Green and Casey yet to bat, as well as the bowlers, so the day could easily go either way.
  • First over after tea and Head goes for 48. Broad takes his 600th Test wicket. 189-5.
  • Green lbw to Woakes, 254-6
  • Green given lbw, it's being reviewed.

He's out, umpire's call (finally we've had one given onfield). 254-6
  • Bairstow catches Marsh and is the most surprised person in the ground.
  • Very decent catch by Bairstow, Marsh gone, 255-7.
  • 294-8, Carey goes to Woakes not long before the close 😊
  • 299-8 close of play. England's day just about imo.
  • I think definitely Englands day.
  • IronHerb said:

I think definitely Englands day.

In isolation, yes, but I think in the context of the series Australia will be happier. The weather suggests this will be a three day test match and they've already used one of them.
  • We smack it about tomorrow and bowl them out Friday. Simple.
  • IronHerb said:

We smack it about tomorrow and bowl them out Friday. Simple.

• Had a great day yesterday, a really good days cricket .A few beers @ £6 a pint😳.
    Great curry on the curry mile and a good night’s kip . Looking forward to getting home for day 2.🏏
  • Great start, Cummins goes to the first ball of the morning, 299-9. Anderson with his first wicket of the match.
  • Couldn't have asked for a better start. Need the 10th quickly.

• And it is. Woakes 5-fer.

Ah. No ball.
  • That works, 300 all out, Woakes gets a fifer.

Oh no, a no-ball.

• Let's hope it's not too costly. Woakes's first no-ball of the innings, having bowled 19 overs. Typical.
  • Let's hope it's not too costly

In both runs and time. The forecast hasn't improved for the weekend in Manchester so England need to bat soon and score quickly to force a result.

11 runs already added, too.
  • 5-fer now for Woakes.

Hazlewood caught by Duckett.
  • 317 all out, Woakes legally this time.
  • That's a good effort to bowl the Aussies out half an hour into Day 2. Now to score 400 and declare with 20 minutes at them this evening. 😂
  • OK. Place your bets, lunch score?

I'm going 60-1.