The Ashes

Comments

• Not quite into the tail, but we really need to mop up the remaining wickets cheaply.
  • 249-7, Wood gets Starc.
  • A Carey-Cummins partnership now, boos aplenty.
  • edited July 2023
    249-8, Cummins lbw to Wood, whose pace has beaten the last two batsmen.
  • Carey has gone, Wood hit him in the head, and, the next ball, after the concussion test, he's caught at point. 254-9.
  • 263 all out, Wood takes 5. Fantastic evening session, started, in effect, by Marsh's wicket on the stroke of tea which began a spell of 6 wickets for only 23 runs.
  • More than a little surprised that Moeen is back in, I just can't see him not having a problem with the amount of bowling that will be required; the initial blister will have healed, but a callous won't have formed just yet so I'd be surprised if the finger doesn't blister again.

I guess Moeen's finger might survive given he's only bowled 9 overs in the first innings 🤞🤞🤞.

• edited July 2023
    Duckett goes for 2, 18-1. Not the start we wanted. As expected, Brook comes in at 3.
  • Carey showing how to keep wicket.
  • edited July 2023
    Brook goes for 3, 22-2.
  • Sigh. Brook gone for 3.

22-2
  • Two chances given and two chances taken. They don’t drop many.
  • Crawley goes, 65-3.
  • 68-3 close of play.
  • edited July 2023
    Root and Bairstow need to make big scores to compensate for their abysmal performances today.
    I think that if Bairstow fails with the bat, he'll have to make way for Foakes in the remaining Tests.
  • Root and Bairstow need to make big scores to compensate for their abysmal performances today.
    I think that if Bairstow fails with the bat, he'll have to make way for Foakes in the remaining Tests.

Make way with the gloves, or drop out of the team altogether? Can't see either happening tbh as this Test was the natural time to bring Foakes into the team in place of Pope, but certainly can't see Bairstow being dropped completely. Unfortunately I also think he'll be keeping for the last 2 Tests as well.

• Southgate was there today so maybe he’ll follow suit by playing Kane in goal because of his passing range and he can play another striker.
  • Root goes second ball this morning, 68-4.
  • Bairstow gone for 12, 87-5.
  • Ashes lost. 5-0 Whitewash on the cards.
  • Despite the best efforts of BazBall, English cricket is just as predictable as it's ever been.
  • I see you have got your pre season training started early Yeold.
  • I see you have got your pre season training started early Yeold.

It’s being so happy that keeps him going.
  • History repeating itself?🤷🏻‍♂️
  • "Catches win matches" Just look at the one Carey took which Bairstow would have probably dropped plus the other ones into the slip area which we didn't take.
  • Stokes struggling physically, has had the physio out to him. Still trail by 156 atm.
  • Poor by Moeen Ali, he had only just got away with a top edge and he plays the same shot and falls to the fielder who had just been moved there. 131-6, still 132 behind.
  • edited July 2023
    142-7, Woakes gone on the stroke of lunch. Still trail by 121.

Very bad session, lost 4 wickets for only 74 runs.
  • Nice cameo from Mark Wood so far, 16 off his first 3 balls.