Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• £46 per ticket (adult) for a midweek cup tie at Man U, a bit pricey I would say. We have an allocation of up to 9000 so will be interesting to see the take up. COYI
  • @IronHerb, Reckon the travelling support may wait & look to see what matches are on tv before deciding whether to travel up on a school night. I wonder if Manchester United might be one of the televised matches? :p
  • edited February 2023

I wonder if Manchester United might be one of the televised matches? :p

"West Ham United's Emirates FA Cup fifth round tie away at Manchester United has been set for Wednesday 1 March, with kick-off at 7.45pm GMT, and will be broadcast live in the UK on ITV1."

https://www.whufc.com/news/date-set-manchester-united-fa-cup-tie

Wow, who'd have thunk it?
  • I was going to go if it had been on the Saturday or Sunday but then realised that all the ties are on the Wednesday, right don’t fancy the drive over the Pennines at night.
  • buffy, Manchester United being on tv in the FA Cup is a major surprise to me as they aren't normally on are they!
  • buffy, Manchester United being on tv in the FA Cup is a major surprise to me as they aren't normally on are they!

Indeed, didn't see that one coming as the hedgehog said to his flat-mate.
  • @IronHerb, Reckon the travelling support may wait & look to see what matches are on tv before deciding whether to travel up on a school night. I wonder if Manchester United might be one of the televised matches? :p

Well, we took 4800 to Derby on a school night, and that was also televised.

You also get a large number of supporters who live in the north, and Scotland, who take the opportunity to go to a game closer to home. The allocation is up to 9000 tickets and is dependant upon sales by close of play on Monday. Be interesting to see what occurs but I believe we'll take a big following. I even know of people who will go without a ticket just 'to be there'.
  • Slacker said:

I was going to go if it had been on the Saturday or Sunday but then realised that all the ties are on the Wednesday, right don’t fancy the drive over the Pennines at night.

I don't blame you, it's quite scary if the winds are strong, I've had quite a few squeaky bum moments myself whilst going over in my lorry.
  • edited February 2023
    Ironherb, I apologise but I can’t afford £138 for me & my two children plus travel costs to go to Old Trafford on a Wednesday especially when we all have to be up at 6.30 to be ready for college & uni. That is why I mentioned it being a school night, IF it had been a Saturday I would have been more inclined to find the money. 👍 All the Fifth round matches are on tv so I can save myself some money. 😉
  • Not sure what you are apologising for Fortune. 🤔
  • Haller scored today pleased for him
  • edited February 2023
    "Nice" article on Noble, not much of substance in it but a feel-good vibe to it (apart from the obvious that Rice is looking to move oon to bigger things, but we all know that):

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-mark-noble-interview-declan-rice-transfers-b1058532.html
  • Fawlty Towers to return.

Interesting, but I do wonder whether it will manage to avoid tainting the legacy of the original, or how that style of humour could be made to work as a modern comedy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64563839
  • It will be a disaster. Imo
  • Instinctively I felt the same Mrs G, but then I read Rob Reiner was involved. Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, Misery; the guy's done a lot of very good things. I'm hoping he can help make it work.
  • edited February 2023
    John Cleese has sort of fallen into the everything-is-terrible-no-one-can-take-a-joke-these-days persona in the last few years, so if I was guessing, I would say this will probably all be about how cancel culture is terrible, and I'm not entirely sure why you'd risk the legacy of the original just to make a point that a million other people have already made.
  • Sometime you have to know when to leave something alone.There is probably a place in which it's viable to re imagine a Fawlty Towers idea set in the modern era but once Cleese himself gets involved in the cast it has already set itself up to fail as it just simply won't reach the heights of Fawlty Towers. There is maybe room for him to help in the writing if he feels he has ideas but he should leave the Basil character out of the casting in my view.
  • I dont see how you can have the show without the original cast. How can you replace Andrew Sachs and co??? If they wanted to produce a show that paid homage to the original then ok (but I'd still wonder why they couldnt do something on similar farce lines and just acknowledge Fawlty Towers as inspiration)
  • Worcester Warriors Rugby Football Club has unfortunately ceased to exist:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64502475

Despite dreadful financial mis-management, you've just got to feel for the fans.
  • buffy, Is it just down to the finances. Are there any teams in the Championship who have the funds to make a success of promotion such as Ealing. I understand a decision has been made to stop the automatic route until 24/25?
    There appears to be a problem with the finances of the clubs at the bottom of the National League as four of them are the promoted teams from last season with 2 of the remaining sides being the ones relegated from League 2. Gateshead did sell their two strikers to Notts County though. Is it any wonder some teams appear to choose to tail off as they can't find the money to compete if they were to be promoted. Some sides historically can't quite survive in the next higher league but are more than capable of getting back up the following season, Rotherham being a good example.
  • This forum most match days.😂

• Yes those two do look a bit weathered…… 🧥
  • Slacker said:

This forum most match days.😂

That’s it..

IronHerb and Slacker 🤣🤣 😉😉
  • Jay, I can think of one or two that they’re more applicable to.😉
  • Slacker said:

Jay, I can think of one or two that they’re more applicable to.😉

Yeh… U got me there 🤣😉

• Which is which though?
  • Slacker said: