Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• Maybe Lineker could have worded his objection to what's happening with the boat crossings across the channel better but they are his personal thoughts written on his own Twitter feed. He hasn't said anything whilst presenting Match of the Day, so I don't see what the big furore is.

And he's not actually a member of BBC staff, so isn't subject to the same terms of employment.
  • Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Alex Scott, Micah Richards and Jermaine Jenas all pulled out of MOTD now. Interesting to see who ends up on the show tomorrow…
  • Well seeing as we're not playing until Sunday, I'll give it a go hahaha
  • So are we saying here whoever takes over presenting the show will be deemed as not supporting the valid message, however the terminology may have been wrong, that Lineker was trying to put across?
  • edited March 2023
    Get Bilic to do it he needs a job .miss him already after Watford get rid of him
  • So are we saying here whoever takes over presenting the show will be deemed as not supporting the valid message, however the terminology may have been wrong, that Lineker was trying to put across?

I’m sure there are some presenters who disagree with Lineker’s view, but I’d be very surprised if (m)any of them agree with the perceived infringement on their rights to free speech.
  • alderz said:

Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Alex Scott, Micah Richards and Jermaine Jenas all pulled out of MOTD now. Interesting to see who ends up on the show tomorrow…

Yeah, they could end up just showing match highlights without studio comment at this rate, no-one is going to want to front it in these circumstances.
  • They’ll end up using some journalist who needs to pay their mortgage to host instead of an ex-pro, but I can’t see how they’ll find someone to do the analysis
  • I think most football is better without pundits telling us what we’ve just watched. I’d be pretty annoyed if a guy sitting next to me at a game started telling me what had just happened. They are so biased towards their previous clubs anyway.
  • No
    Presenters or punditry on MOTD
  • edited March 2023
    alderz said:

They’ll end up using some journalist who needs to pay their mortgage to host instead of an ex-pro, but I can’t see how they’ll find someone to do the analysis

Maybe they could get Jeremy thingy who did Top Gear. Cos he never expressed any political views at all while he was working for the BBC, so the Govt would be A-OK with him.

And he probably knows as much about football as the bloke sitting next to thornbury.
  • Clarkson
  • edited March 2023
    The BBC have shot themselves in the foot massively here and inadvertently revealed that it is they themselves who are not impartial within their conduct more than Gary Lineker. leaving aside the fact that the guy at the top helped Johnson acquire an £800k loan before suddenly being given the job, as many point out people like Clarkson have been getting away with writing whatever they wish for as long as they have been there without a murmur. The BBC's real position is that the guy at the top is in place to supress anti tory news as best possible. All credit to all presenters who stood with Lineker.

The whole thing is so the Tories can try and get away with the same trick twice, before it was the EU that you needed vote us in to sort out, didn't work out well at all, yet with all the cost of that beginning to be counted they now try and tell the same people they should support them in the real crisis of the country which is small boats.

Lots of impartiality in Johnson's honours list as he tries to make his own Dad a knight after getting as many of his loyal goons and his brother already into the house of Lords. What a country he has tried to make it.

• What i find most odd is the BBC who have stood him down (effectively suspended him) are (or were) doing rolling news coverage on stepping him down ?

Can you imagine being suspended by your boss then the HR department putting up a rolling news coverage inviting comment on whether it was fair or not ?

Whilst i understand Gary Linekar is a high profile figure ? it seems wild that someone being shutdown for breaching impartiality is then having a rolling news coverage done about it lol.
  • Sky should be on his phone straight away with a decent offer that includes tweet all you like. He is the best in my view and gets the best out of the other presenters.
  • I feel I want to show solidarity but I would also like to host MOTD.

Who are Liverpool playing this week? How little time could I allocate to Man City. Can I totally overlook West Ham if they lose to Villa?
  • BazForMOTD

We could get it trending.

Except I don't have Twitter 😅
  • edited March 2023

This is some kind of Orwellian dystopian version of free speech.
  • edited March 2023
    He needs to invite them to terminate his contract by mutual consent. That should be his next move.

Now a PR disaster for the BBC. One of their own making.
  • Bottom line for me? Lineker is a sports presenter and a freelance one at that. He has the same right to express his views as you or I.
    If a news/ Panorama/ Newsnight presenter had expressed their own views publicly that’s a breach of BBC impartiality standards and is a different matter all together.
  • Commentators are boycotting the show now as well
  • Commentators are boycotting the show now as well

Is that all commentators or only BBC employees? What about freelancers working on other networks - those too?
  • MrsGrey said:

Can you see any universe in which Lineker tweeted 'Sensible policies from the Govt to tackle the terrible problem of small boats, well done" and the outcome was the same?

Just as partisan...

Shame on the govt ( again) and shame on the cowardly BBC.

Don't blame the BBC, it is not an independent broadcaster, it is funded and controlled by the government. Since 2010 it has suffered a series of budget cuts and its political neutrality has been gradually eroded.

Now it just says whatever the government wants it to say and if it tried to act independently the Tories would privatise it (which would please Rupert Murdoch)

The current Chairman was Sunak's boss at Goldman Sachs and helped Boris to get a £80k loan

The current Director General was a Conservative councillor at LB of Hammersmith & Fulham in the 1990s
  • edited March 2023

So you think trying to prevent people illegally coming here from France is akin to the policies of the Third Reich?

Maybe if there was a legal way for them to apply for asylum they wouldn't be risking their lives to come across the Channel in boats

Except Priti Patel removed it in April under the Nationality and Borders Act 2022
  • A back to back football show with no adverts, commentary or terrible analysis. Sign me up.
    Surely the only people who will miss out are those of the big six as that all they go on about anyway.
  • You know that that exists already though? Sky post highlights of every PL game on YouTube for free. Personally I like to watch MOTD because I’m curious of what different pundits say about us.
  • edited March 2023
    alderz said:

You know that that exists already though? Sky post highlights of every PL game on YouTube for free. Personally I like to watch MOTD because I’m curious of what different pundits say about us.

That has commentary though right? And it's not all in one show?
  • edited March 2023
    BBC can use commentary by IMG's World Feed
  • Hamstew said:

alderz said:

You know that that exists already though? Sky post highlights of every PL game on YouTube for free. Personally I like to watch MOTD because I’m curious of what different pundits say about us.

That has commentary though right? And it's not all in one show?
    I don’t know if it has commentary actually. I usually watch it on mute in bed while other stuff I don’t care about is on TV
This discussion has been closed.