Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• Even worse by Root, no excuse, out for 95, England 202-7.
  • 215-8, 43 still needed, not looking good. Foakes about to be joined by Leach, and only Anderson then to come.
  • 248-8, 10 needed, a real nail-biter.
  • edited February 2023
    Nooooooooo, after a fabulous job of farming the strike with Leach as his partner, Foakes is out for 35 with only 7 needed. Leach still on 0 after a 36 run partnership with Foakes. Personally I wouldn't put much on Leach and Anderson getting us home, but I hope they prove me wrong.
  • Only 2 needed, Leach finally gets off the mark more by luck than judgement, then Anderson hits a boundary. How close is this?
  • And we lose by 1 run, Anderson caught down the leg side.
  • I slept all the way through it.😡
    I’ve had a stern word with myself this morning.
  • As well as New Zealand played, I can't help thinking we threw it away.
  • Reading the BBC match report, it seems like Root's call for the run resulting in Brook's run out was the turning point. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this is the first time Root's done this.
  • The run out was complete madness. Brook was completely sold down the river by Root. After his first innings 186 being run out without facing a ball was a huge boost to NZ and almost certainly a turning point. I don't think of Root as having a history of this, but certainly a 'brain fade' on this occasion.

I always want England to win, but if there's one team I'm 'happy' to lose to it is NZ, they play the game in the right spirit - even if they did target Stokes's gammy leg - that's exactly what they should have done!
  • I hear this morning that Ben Stokes is still going to play IPL before The Ashes.😳

English cricket should pay him what he would earn and get him 100 % for the summer.
    He’s only doing it for the money after all.
  • edited February 2023
    Can't say I wasn't gutted to come so close and still lose, after losing Pope and Brook to leave us on 80-5 we were always up against it but the partnership of Root and Stokes got us to 201-5 and the game was ours for the taking. To lose them both for only one run at 202-7 was dreadful, and after Broad went it didn't look good.

Foakes did a great job in getting us so close with his partnership with Leach, who again showed great defence as he did when making his 1 not out against Australia. However, once Foakes went, 7 was looking such a big ask for Leach and Anderson, and sadly it proved too much.

A very exciting finish for sure, right up with Headingly in 2019 and Edgbaston 2005, one chasing and one defending, both of which we very narrowly came out on top of and both against Australia, and also the draw we managed in Cardiff in 2009 when Anderson and Monty Panesar survived for 37 minutes when we were 9 wickets down.

Stokes's knee is definitely a concern; he's in the team as an all-rounder, and it seriously upsets the balance of the side if he can't play the role of 4th seamer, and even worse if it's in danger of affecting his batting as it so clearly did this morning.
  • Let’s be honest, this type of cricket is always going to come with risks, and flaming out like that was always a possibility. I hope they stick with it for the Ashes, though. It’d be very interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Likewise, I'm really looking forward to it, but must admit I'm concerned how we'll do against the Aussies.
  • edited February 2023
    Seems crazy that England have an ODI tomorrow, the first in a 3 match series against Bangladesh. Given that there's a number of players that play more than one format, it hardly gives a representative showing of where we stand against ofter teams. I get that it's good to look at some different players, but I can't help feeling that the 50 over format has been a bit short-changed recently, firstly with a series days after the T20 World Cup, and now with this series a day after the end of a Test match.
  • My Son in law took my grandson to an ice hockey match at Chelmsford Chieftains last weekend and was somewhat surprised to find that Petr Cech was the Chelmsford net minder, ice hockey being his first sporting love.
  • IronHerb said:

My Son in law took my grandson to an ice hockey match at Chelmsford Chieftains last weekend and was somewhat surprised to find that Petr Cech was the Chelmsford net minder, ice hockey being his first sporting love.

Reminds me of something I saw on the Chieftains website recently. 17 year old keeper Luca Tessadri has a photo and Petr Czech doesn’t.

• He looks like he will fit the whole net hahaha
  • edited March 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64821422

As someone once said” I’d love it, love it”.
  • Do you really imagine the PL will do anything.
  • Yeah I know what you mean but I can dream.
  • I dont think they'll do anything because it'll upset the poor Saudis. What they should've done is not allow it in the first place. I bet there were so many bakchanders going on to turn a blind eye and justify at the time (says Ivan Toney)
  • Toney has probably bet on the PL doing nothing as he knows it’s a cert.
  • Toney has probably bet on the PL doing nothing as he knows it’s a cert.

Is he still waiting for a ban for his gambling offences?
  • Yes he is.
  • He is betting, sorry thinks, it will before the next international break so he can't be picked to play for England.
  • EX saying Cornet is going to play 45 mins tonight for the 21s
  • steve said:

EX saying Cornet is going to play 45 mins tonight for the 21s

Cue a season-ending injury. :(
  • edited March 2023
    Bubbles, I was surprised they expect him to last 45 minutes. =)
  • In all honesty it will be great if he manages to come through unscathed and with no reaction to it 🤞🤞🤞
This discussion has been closed.