West Ham vs Bournemouth on Monday

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

No relegation
    For the claret and blue

Just celebration...

Shouldn't the middle line be more like:

Not for the claret and blue
  • Not sure why anyone thinks Zouma’s should have been ruled out. Kehrer’s handball was unintentional and there were two other players touched it before Zouma. Had it gone straight to Zouma then it may have been ruled out but it wasn’t an assist.

• The average positions of our midfield are really interesting. Rice as the deepest of the three is probably not how I’d personally set them up. He’s so capable of driving us forward and I think he’s wasted at the base of midfield.
  • Not sure why anyone thinks Zouma’s should have been ruled out. Kehrer’s handball was unintentional and there were two other players touched it before Zouma. Had it gone straight to Zouma then it may have been ruled out but it wasn’t an assist.

I’ll say it again, the scooping motion when it hits him looked, IMO, deliberate.
  • Alderz, against Bournemouth I agree with you; against Liverpool I think it was more justified, as although he can drive us forward better than Downes or Soucek, he's also better than the other 2 when he's deeper.
  • For me also, Kehrer altered that balls path deliberately (he didnt do it well but I believe in that heat of the moment decision, he tried to knock it into a better position for us). If it simply hit his arm unintentionally it would not had that reaction. You can see in slo mo that he lifts it rather than it dropping off his arm downward
  • Additionally, we've had decisions going against us and I'm going to take both decisions and the 2-0 up to 10th
  • edited October 2022
    I’m not convinced Kehrer handballs it. Didn’t see an angle that 100% confirmed he handballed it. When I see that, I would maybe call that fortunate but the rules are what they are & his hands were down within his body line & he didn’t directly create the goal.

The second one is also a penalty, the players reaction alone tells you that.
  • All I’ll say is…

• Lukerz said:

All I’ll say is…

Yeah for sure, and the subsequent laugh he and MOTD had about it. I just wish decisions were right and we didn’t need another wrong to level things up.
  • Personally, I think VAR should only be used for offsides. We should have had a penalty at Southampton for a foul on Soucek. It went in our favour tonight. It’s swings & roundabouts. It’s so inconsistent I don’t see how it can be any worse removing it from subjective calls.
  • How one game can make difference eh? If we’d lost that game the knives would really have been out for Moyes. As it is we’re up to 10th and things are looking up.
    That’s what wrong with football today.
  • Not great to watch. I think Soucek, Downes and Rice all together is overkill in most games and more importantly, what Scamacca brought to the side is being cancelled out because Downes isn't made for that role.

But it was a solid performance ultimately.

I thought Benrahma's second half performance was brilliant. The only real threat we had and he did things with confidence and quickly.
  • Slacker said:

Lukerz said:

Lukerz said:

These Monday 8pm games are the second worst

What about a cold rainy night in Stoke?
    I’ve done that, hugely character forming I tell ya.

I recall a cold rainy Tuesday night in Grimsby, of course we lost and got back to our car to find the window smashed and radio nicked, character building stuff indeed 🙁
  • Moyes selected a side in order to pick up a vital win. Would I want to play that side & like that regularly? No. But he beefed up the middle which basically meant Bournemouth created nothing. Downes as an advanced CM is, on paper, quite defensive, but without Cornet or Paqueta it was a move to just ensure we gave them nothing. It worked. We won. As a one off, it was good.
  • IMO, VAR got two decisions wrong which is a worry, our goal should not have stood as the handball was IMO, not incidental but deliberate - at the very least, he made no effort to remove his arms from the contact and the ball popped up in a manner that simply would not have happened if the ball had simply hit his midriff.

He jumped early and his movement, whilst instinctive, kept the ball alive, it was reminiscent of volleyball

The other VAR error was the red card miss, VAR was supposed to catch stuff that the Ref misses, and it failed to do so here on both occasions.
  • All that being said, Bournemouth were poor and I think we were clearly the better side and good value for the win, i remain worried that we fail to create much in the way of clear cut chances, even when dominating the game.

I was pleased that we got a second, it was somewhat unlucky with no intent but a clear penalty nonetheless.

Happy to take the points and move up the table.
  • The other VAR error was the red card miss, VAR was supposed to catch stuff that the Ref misses, and it failed to do so here on both occasions.

Yeah, very poor decision, I said so at the time; if Scamacca's foot wasn't off the ground it's a potential leg-breaker.
  • Can VAR make a call on handball when it occurs one or two phases prior to the goal? I don't think it can.
  • IronHerb said:

Can VAR make a call on handball when it occurs one or two phases prior to the goal? I don't think it can.

I think it can if it is considered deliberate
  • Just got home from work and watched the match. I’m really surprised Zouma’s goal was given. My first reaction was that Kehrer forgot he wasn’t playing volleyball - it was a pretty good set. I would have been very upset if that was given against us.
    The penalty was the correct decision.
  • Tbf I don't really care about the decisions, it really does fee like Pre-Var where you end up on the wrong end kf some bad decisions and some lucky ones

The fact is we were, in part to Bournmeouth being not very good, the better team but we didn't really impress especially in the final third

Just look lost in open play, so few goals and no real cutting edge since Paqueta has been out

Not liking Downes in the advanced role, his game isn't suited to that (although id start him ahead of Soucek), I think we need to bring back the Bowen, Fornals, Benrahma combo behind the striker whether that's Scamacca or Antonio

Thought Scamacca looked lost yesterday, lost the ball far too much and couldn't get himself into the game...but Antonio didn't fare much better he got bullied and was far to willing to go to ground

Lot of work to do, something is missing but 3 points is still 3 points and much needed, up to 10th shows just how tight it is

I know how new he is, but Paqueta seems so key to us right now, he's got the guile we are missing, hope he's back soon
  • I thought the much maligned Soucek was very, very good 2nd half.
  • I thought Cresswell was decent all game , combining well with Benrahma.
  • edited October 2022
    I feel pretty confident that had that goal not been given we would have pushed on in the second half. It always felt like we were going to score at some point imo.
    I just felt like a game we needed to get the points from rather than playing well.
  • Not sure Kehrer can have been deemed to deliberately handle the ball given how late he saw it. There was no time to deliberately do anything. It drops inches above Senesi’s (?) head, who could easily have flicked it on. I don’t think he knows anything about it until it hits him.
  • A poor game against a poor Bournemouth, but three points. It lacked energy and aggressive intent to get forward, but how many times have we seen a West Ham side do that and a week later play a top side who move the ball much more quickly and we respond by doing the same. I hope, and expect we will be much better on Sunday against Man U.
  • A poor game against a poor Bournemouth, but three points. It lacked energy and aggressive intent to get forward, but how many times have we seen a West Ham side do that and a week later play a top side who move the ball much more quickly and we respond by doing the same. I hope, and expect we will be much better on Sunday against Man U.

That sounds like that Craig bloke on Strictly.😂

• Ah! Fishing, mugs of tea, occasional baths and now Strictly. Piece by piece the picture of Slacker is coming together in my head. 🤔
  • Most recent shot.