Couldn't think - from Sept 2022

Comments

• I hit a few corkers, bunker and putting was solid. The win for massive Hammers cheered me up
  • 👍Outcast... when will it be on Kindle Unlimited?!?

I'm not sure how that works actually. The actual release is 16 February, so I guess it will be on Kindles around then but I don't know if things go straight to Kindle unlimited.

Thanks everyone!
  • edited October 2022
    Kwasi Kwarteng is no longer chancellor, the BBC understands.

Dreadful start to Truss's leadership, her Chancellor has gone already (hardly surprising given the mini-budget he came out with).

• Any credibility she ever had is now gone.
    Do the right thing and let’s have an election.
  • It feels very much like the Tories time is up, very much like when they were booted out by Blair.
    I think the country has had enough after 12 years and it’s time for change.
  • After 12 years....

How about 12 days?
  • edited October 2022
    The Tories aren't going to call an election when they have a 70-seat majority and when they are so far behind in the polls.

Based on an average of recent polls the Tories would lose 281 seats with Sajid Javid, Iain Duncan Smith, Therese Coffey, Chris Grayling, Dominic Raab, Nadine Dorries, Robert Jenrick, Matt Hancock, Grant Shapps, Penny Mordaunt, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Kwasi Kwarteng and Boris Johnson all getting the boot!

Under the current legislation they don't have to hold a general election until January 2025. I wouldn't hold your breath...
  • Yeah I know it could be at least two years but if Truss goes I think the clamour in the country for an election won’t be able to be ignored.
  • Slacker said:

Yeah I know it could be at least two years but if Truss goes I think the clamour in the country for an election won’t be able to be ignored.

I don't see that a "clamour in the country" will be anywhere near enough for any Tory to want to call an election any time soon.
  • Three Prime Ministers in a matter of months is getting very near a constitutional crisis though,so there may well be an intervention by the establishment i.e.The Lords , Tory “grandees’ maybe even the monarch.
  • Robbie Coltrane, perhaps best known to many as Hagrid in the Harry Potter films although to me will always be Cracker, has passed away.
  • Slacker said:

Three Prime Ministers in a matter of months is getting very near a constitutional crisis though,so there may well be an intervention by the establishment i.e.The Lords , Tory “grandees’ maybe even the monarch.

Did you see the video clip of her recent meeting with the king? Lol
  • Robbie Coltrane, perhaps best known to many as Hagrid in the Harry Potter films although to me will always be Cracker, has passed away.

Very sad, the Cracker character was top drawer stuff. I remember seeing Robbie at The Comedy Store years ago with Alexei Sayle amongst many others.
    Real shame.

• Very sad RIP
    Vaguely remember Cracker
    But definitely as a Bond Villain and potter films
    😢
  • Cracker was great.

But of course his early fame was from comedy. I loved those 'Five go Mad' things, although I'm not sure they stand the test of time...
  • edited October 2022
    Slacker said:

Yeah I know it could be at least two years but if Truss goes I think the clamour in the country for an election won’t be able to be ignored.

Slacker said:

Three Prime Ministers in a matter of months is getting very near a constitutional crisis though,so there may well be an intervention by the establishment i.e.The Lords , Tory “grandees’ maybe even the monarch.

It doesn't matter how much the country "clamours", the Tories won a majority in 2019 and while they have that majority they can stay in power for the full five year term no matter how many Prime Ministers they go through

The Tory "grandees" certainly wouldn't want an election when they have absolutely no chance of winning.

Neither the Lords or the monarch have the authority to dissolve parliament and call an election
  • We may not be far away from civil unrest, which may be the clamouring which focuses attention on the need for a mandate. Thatcher never recovered from the Poll tax riots and we could be not far away from a similar thing at present. The perceived giving to the rich whilst imposing hardship on those less well-off could easily lead to a powder keg which just needs a spark. Hunt may try and head that off by announcing an altogether new budget which may include lifting still the rate at which income tax is paid to £15k and some form of windfall tax on energy producers, even if a token gesture.

It's definitely too late for Truss so the question really is can they get away with us accepting a new prime minister of their choosing.
  • The poll tax riots were 31st March 1990 but Thatcher didn't quit until 28th November and Major didn't call a General Election until April 1992

We're not going to have any major "civil unrest", people are far too busy watching Strictly...
  • edited October 2022
    Anyway, who wants the looney left tax everything party to get in
  • ASLEF, The general public are too busy dealing with trying to stop the oil protesters. 😬
  • Slacker said:

Robbie Coltrane, perhaps best known to many as Hagrid in the Harry Potter films although to me will always be Cracker, has passed away.

Very sad, the Cracker character was top drawer stuff. I remember seeing Robbie at The Comedy Store years ago with Alexei Sayle amongst many others.
    Real shame.

Enjoyed Cracker and he was a really nice bloke in real life, I actually met him up at the American Embassy when renewing a visa, he was very approachable and took time to chat as we waited.

RIP

• I first saw him in Tutti Frutti with Emma Thompson and Richard Wilson in th 80's, very funny.
  • Anyway, who wants the looney left tax everything party to get in

So which party are you referring to here Expat?

Re. Robbie Coltrane, decided to watch our first ever Harry Potter film tonight on the better half's birthday, and then seeing that he had died earlier.
    RIP big man.
  • It's that loony left, their project fear and anti-growth coalition that did it all. Get rid I say.

Don't listen to them. What we need is growth growth growth, I suggest we make things easier to do business with our nearest traders and then make it easier for people to locate here and work, to rescue the vacancy problems in the NHS, food processing and hospitality industry and pay taxes into the public purse. If only there was some way of doing so!
  • Starmer is the same as Blair, calls himself Labour but the policies are just slightly less Tory than the Tories. Apart from the change of faces you won't notice much difference between a Labour government under Starmer and the Tory government under Cameron.

He's already said he isn't going to honour the pledge he made before he was elected leader to reverse the privatisation of the NHS and that he wants to “reimagine the role of government as a partner to the private sector” i.e. even more outsourcing, even poorer services and even more taxpayers money going into shareholders' accounts.

At least when the Tories finally win another election they will find that little has changed while they were in opposition

I'm just waiting for a Labour front bencher to use the word "aspirational" and the clock will have been turned back 25 years

Cool Britannia revisited
  • I stayed out of the Brexit debate, Partygate, Tory membership electing a new leader in their image, and now the present fiasco, which was entirely predictable from Brexit on.
    I've been through all the reactions and now I'm left with dark humour. It's almost as bad as watching West Ham lose.
  • Result of my first golf day is a ruptured muscle in my forearm. Picture looks like a tattoo sleeve. Don't know how to add picture
  • I don't know whether I should tell you how to upload a picture 😂
  • Above the comments box, furthest right icon. Click drop down arrow.

Option, ' choose file'
This discussion has been closed.