Couldn't think - from Sept 2022

Comments

• So funny watching the talking heads from the red wall seats trying so hard not to say why they wouldn’t vote for Sunak and they “ want Boris back”, the interviewers should get a few pints in them and then ask them.
    THEN you’d get their real reason.
  • Big day on the politics front today then.
    1. Truss makes her final speech as PM
    2. Truss goes to the king to officially resign as PM.
    3. Sunak goes to the king who will ask him to form a government.
    4. Sunak makes his first speech as PM.
    5. First letters of no confidence go into the 1922 committee around 6 o’clock.
  • Someone shouting 'Rishi Out' as he arrives at No. 10 😆
  • At least he can string a few sentences together. 😄
  • Braverman back as home secretary after her one week holiday.

• That's bad news, a hard right Home Secretary in charge of immigration, not good.
  • That's bad news, a hard right Home Secretary in charge of immigration, not good.

And from this, she might be the source of the supposed argument about immigration that led to her resignation. So she possibly wanted to be seen as persecuted for being hard of migration to cover up actual serious breach of ministerial code (and stupidity).
  • There will be a General Election come May, you heard it here first.
  • Preston, You didn't say in which year though. =)
  • There won't be a general election
    Starmer will make noises, but he wants the new PM to sort out the mess, then he'd be happy for an election. Who would want the job with all these issues
  • Dainik Bhaskar, a Hindi-language newspaper, ran the headline: "Another Diwali gift to the nation, Indian-origin Rishi to rule the whites".

Tasteless.
    Starmer will make noises, but he wants the new PM to sort out the mess, then he'd be happy for an election. Who would want the job with all these issues

Can he win without the Tory party in crisis though?
  • Writing stuff like that will only serve to make sure people won't vote for him in the future.

I think, with the mess the country is in (largely post-Covid rather than anything else, but obviously Johnson and now Truss have hardly helped the Tories), that it will take a miracle for the Tories to win the next election, whenever it's held.
  • edited October 2022

Dainik Bhaskar, a Hindi-language newspaper, ran the headline: "Another Diwali gift to the nation, Indian-origin Rishi to rule the whites".

Tasteless.

I have 3 questions.

1. Is that an accurate translation?
    2. Is it a tabloid?
    3. So what? Why single out for comment 1 newspaper from the millions that have reported this snippet of news because I can't think it's the only one to make a dodgy comment. If we want to make a list of all the newspapers that reported the news in a way we find a bit iffy, let's start closer to home. ( Edit, I know you are just pointing out what the BBC reported. And I agree it's tasteless. But perhaps understandable cos they just wanna sell newspapers. Feels a bit like someone's scraping around for a thing that will start a culture war.)
  • edited October 2022

Writing stuff like that will only serve to make sure people won't vote for him in the future.

Do you think the voters of Richmond read that paper?
  • edited October 2022
    Gove is like that bit of dog excrement that you thought you'd managed to clean off the bottom of your shoe, but you keep finding smears on the carpet and you keep getting a whiff, so you know it's still there somewhere.
  • MrsGrey said:

Writing stuff like that will only serve to make sure people won't vote for him in the future.

Probably not. I was thinking more the racist elements in our society. I wouldn't vote for him but that's because he's a Tory and I've never voted for them.
  • MrsGrey said:

Probably not. I was thinking more the racist elements in our society. I wouldn't vote for him but that's because he's a Tory and I've never voted for them.
    :+1:

I was more highlighting the fact that we don't vote for our PMs, only our MPs.

I really believe that a lifelong conservative voter won't turn to another party just cos of disliking ( for whatever reason) the Tory party leader.

But I'll wait to see what our lifelong Tory forum members say, on account of I can't fathom their thinking :-)
  • MrsGrey said:

Dainik Bhaskar, a Hindi-language newspaper, ran the headline: "Another Diwali gift to the nation, Indian-origin Rishi to rule the whites".

Tasteless.

I have 3 questions.

1. Is that an accurate translation?
    2. Is it a tabloid?
    3. So what? Why single out for comment 1 newspaper from the millions that have reported this snippet of news because I can't think it's the only one to make a dodgy comment. If we want to make a list of all the newspapers that reported the news in a way we find a bit iffy, let's start closer to home. ( Edit, I know you are just pointing out what the BBC reported. And I agree it's tasteless. But perhaps understandable cos they just wanna sell newspapers. Feels a bit like someone's scraping around for a thing that will start a culture war.)

From Wiki:
    Dainik Bhaskar is India's largest Hindi-language daily newspaper owned by the Dainik Bhaskar Group. According to Audit Bureau of Circulations, it is ranked 3rd in the world by circulation and is the largest newspaper in India by circulation.

I don't really understand why you raised your questions, I was just posting something from the BBC that I found racist and offensive.

How about If the headline had been "British-origin Rushton to rule the blacks"?

At least that you agree it's tasteless.

I think, with the mess the country is in (largely post-Covid rather than anything else, but obviously Johnson and now Truss have hardly helped the Tories), that it will take a miracle for the Tories to win the next election, whenever it's held.
    I really hope so. I just fear that memories will be short if Sunak manages to ride this current period out and then we'll end up with them again. Tory members did want what Truss was trying to implement.

I just don't find Starmer very inspiring and worry about him in an election unless it's under the current circumstances. But I guess there are plenty of Tory members/voters who actually really dislike Sunak as well (if he'll ever be leader by the time we get the next election)
  • edited October 2022
    Two years won't be enough to turn the economy around post Covid/Ukraine. Starmer will be very electable to the middle ground imo, he strikes me as kinda a Blairite who'll be more popular with the electorate than with some of his party.
  • England useless at cricket, on a day that had already lost time due to rain, they allowed themselves to be behind the DLS par score, and now the match has been abandoned (with enough overs bowled for it to be a valid match) so we've lost to Ireland.

A poor bowling performance initially (improved in the last few overs) followed by a very poor and brain-dead batting performance.
  • Still can’t bring myself to watch 20/20 cricket, it just looks like a less complicated baseball to me.I like a good one day match now and again but Test Cricket is the real deal for me.
  • I tend to agree with you Slacker but in Australia where the grounds are so much bigger the game doesn't descend into a slugfest and so is evened up, from the bowling point of view.
    But Test Cricket is the best by far.
  • Totally agree that Test Matches are proper cricket (had a day at the Oval this summer), but happy enough (usually) to watch England in any format. Very poor today though, and so stupid to get behind the DLS par score when they'd already lost time and more rain was likely.
  • I can never fathom how Vera and Jack Duckworth (yes its 2009 since I last lived in UK) ever got involved in cricket let alone Lewis!
  • Bazshuayi said:

I can never fathom how Vera and Jack Duckworth (yes its 2009 since I last lived in UK) ever got involved in cricket let alone Lewis!

They teamed up with Chief Inspector Lewis after a chance meeting in a pub in Oxford.
  • edited October 2022

Interesting fact highlighted in a BBC article:

Or it could just be renamed the "Not so super league"

This discussion has been closed.