Couldn't think - from Sept 2022

Comments

• alderz said:

Who does all the research. If you asked someone if they’d rather be at home or work how many would say work. Of course it’s a better work life balance because when you’re in the office you’re expected to work (except for smokers who take 15 minutes out of every hour) 😀but at home who knows what you’re doing.
    Less sick leave is obvious because you can’t stay at home sick because you’re already there 😀

That's just not right, frankly. I have a lot of colleagues who wish we were office based now, but so many office spaces were sold off or rented out that we just aren't able to. I think it's a bit insulting to suggest that people who work from home don't work, tbh.
    Before I retired, I worked for a company that was taken over and the manufacturing moved from London to Gloucester. Since I was involved in design at that time and had so much experience of the product they kept me on (I was in Essex) and allowed me to work from home. I found that I was putting in more hours than if I had been in the office, partly because I was literally always at work and partly because it's easy to feel that you've got to prove that you're actually doing something.
  • edited November 2022

OCS, Mrs Grey could probably clear your mortgage from the proceeds in the fines jar. =)

Alas, no.
    Why do you think I don't need a mortgage...
  • alderz said:

Who does all the research. If you asked someone if they’d rather be at home or work how many would say work. Of course it’s a better work life balance because when you’re in the office you’re expected to work (except for smokers who take 15 minutes out of every hour) 😀but at home who knows what you’re doing.
    Less sick leave is obvious because you can’t stay at home sick because you’re already there 😀

That's just not right, frankly. I have a lot of colleagues who wish we were office based now, but so many office spaces were sold off or rented out that we just aren't able to. I think it's a bit insulting to suggest that people who work from home don't work, tbh.
    People who want to skive will find a way to do so, whether it's in the office or at home. When I was in the office full time, you'd see people going for a coffee every hour, chatting at someone else's desk for 20 minutes at a time, attending countless unnecessary meetings etc.

Granted it's probably easier to skive it from home, but that's where trust comes into it. I've worked from home since Covid; partly because we had an office relocation and the number of people in the team vastly outweighs the number of available desks, but mostly because it's better for my work/life balance. I get to see my son every morning, and I'm clocked off at 4pm to pick him up from childcare and spend more time with him in the evening.

There's nothing I can't do at home that I can do in the office, I save money on fuel, have less stress in my life (traffic) and am generally happier. My work gets done, my PDR ratings are consistently high and our productivity as a business post-Covid has actually gone up since hybrid working was adopted.

There will of course be people that take advantage of working from home, but I would suggest that's the minority of people. Suggesting otherwise is like saying all football fans are hooligans based on the actions of a number of tribal chair-throwing morons.
  • *He says as he posts another comment on a football forum...
  • MrsGrey said:

OCS, Mrs Grey could probably clear your mortgage from the proceeds in the fines jar. =)

Alas, no.
    Why do you think I don't need a mortgage...
    MrsGrey, I'm a little confused - at 8:18am you posted that you won't need a mortgage.

Have I missed something in translation?
  • I was riffing on the idea of a fines tin... using it for myself rather than paying off OCS's mortgage. Just a joke.

Glad to see you are paying attention!
  • Right, so no-one's paying off my mortgage?

Back to not working from home it is then.
  • Not sure if it was always on there, on maybe recently added after Robbie Coltrane passed away, but Cracker is now available on the ITV Hub.
  • edited November 2022
    Oh just seen this wfh convo. For what it's worth I love wfh. I'm so much happier. We've been made to go back into the office (London) on Tuesdays and soon another day. I absolutely despise going into the office. I usually spend most of the day trying to fix IT issues (I don't work in IT btw) and then stressing about if my trains are going to be delayed/ cancelled. I get so much more done now for both work and family reasons. I honestly don't know how I did it before.

• Also look at this
  • Maybe a bit of tangent but I have stepped down from my team lead role and recently moved onto a 3 day week regime, and it feels great.

In my game there exists a definite demographics gap, we have loads of very experienced 55+ year olds and a lot of very competent and eager 30-35 year olds, however we have very few 40-50 year olds.

In the next 5 years or so, the industry is going to shed a vast amount of experience and relationships that have been built up over time so companies are recognizing that they will need to be a little creative if they wish to keep us old codgers around for a bit longer.

I approached my company with my proposal in July which they readily accepted, strictly speaking I am scheduled to fully retire next July, but assuming that this 3 day gig works for me and the company, then I can see myself extending it for a few years - especially if the economy is still going to hell in a handbasket.

Obviously depending on circumstances but I suppose the lesson is that whatever stage of life you are at, you should not be afraid to propose a work/life balance that works for you.

• Interesting, and good luck to you.

Without wishing to pry, and thinking of pensions, - if one is in a final salary scheme, then taking a pay cut ( effectively) just before retirement would be the last thing someone would do. I know that ( in the UK) final salary schemes are much less common nowadays. But where they are in place, it would mitigate against your solution to the problem of retaining older more experienced staff while.
  • The most common definitions of final pensionable salary for a defined benefit scheme is average of the best consecutive 3 in the last 10 years or best in the last 5. Very rarely is actual final salary used so what Chicago is suggesting would probably have no impact.
  • edited November 2022
    Oh, ok. Thanks for that.

I've got 2 of them.

Finding out about all this stuff is on my list of things to do 🙂

Over the next few years!
  • Over here we do not have final salary schemes, at least not in the private sector, not sure how the public sector works.

Principle retirement plan is called a 401k, essentially a tax deferred saving plan where, if you are lucky, your employer matches your personal contributions up to a certain limit, you invest the money in a range of available funds and hopefully you build up enough of a nest egg that when combined with Social security/state pension, you can look forward to a comfortable retirement.

If you do not yet qualify for Medicare, the real trick over here is to ensure you sign up for enough hours to qualify for employer sponsored benefits such as medical insurance etc.

The problem with 401ks is that in times when the markets are falling, like now, peoples nest eggs are being decimated.

The beauty of my 3 day gig is that whilst I am on less salary and not really building my nest egg, I am not drawing down on it either and I still have access to good quality employer sponsored medical insurance etc.
  • Over here known as a defined contribution plan rather than tax deferred because in all pension plans here contributions are made from pre tax salary so benefits when paid are taxed as is the 401k. We don’t really have the equivalent of the Roth 401k whereby contributions are from post taxed salary so benefits or withdrawals are tax free.
    Regardless of where you are funds can go down as well as up so you’ve no real idea as to what you’ll get on retirement until you get to it.
    Defined benefit schemes (final salary) are a win win for the employee but a nightmare for employers as they are really unaffordable as fluctuations in the market mean nothing. Most public sector schemes are still defined benefit or have some element of it.
  • edited November 2022
    Defined benefit schemes are not really viable, and haven't been for a number of years, largely due to increased life expectancies but also by the changes in taxation on dividends due to all pension funds that Gordon Brown introduced in 1997.

They're effectively a ponzi scheme these days, and it amazes me that so much industrial action is around attempts to make changes to something that is no longer financially viable. The resistance to attempts to change them, especially in the public sector, is effectively insisting that the rest of the tax paying public have to top up public sector pension schemes.
  • edited November 2022
    Teachers pension and civil service pension are defined benefit.
    But - crucially - they are unfunded. ( I think that's the term). As in, we pay our contributions to the govt who spend it on what they like.

They don't put it into an investment plan. Thee is no pension fund. Just an 'I promise to pay later on'.

When the day comes that they have to pay out to us poor ancients, it comes from the govt budget. So you might say taxpayers ( which, btw, includes public sector workers) are topping it up ... But we have been topping up the govt budget with our pension contributions for decades!!
  • edited November 2022
    Indeed, but unfortunately an awful lot of unions are resisting any change whatsoever to a system that is in no way self-funding and wouldn't stack up in the private sector; the benefits from defined benefit schemes hugely outweigh the contributions paid into them.

• edited November 2022
    Can't believe Klopp got away without a ban initially, hopefully something more appropriate is given him on appeal; beheading seems about right, would hopefully finally wipe that smug, condescending grin off his face, if not then a touchline ban till the end of the season would just about be acceptable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63521254
  • I think his punishment should be an instant sacking as Liverpool manager and being installed as the new West Ham manager! <3
  • I went big in having my flu jab in one arm and covid jab in the other, I wish I hadn't now, feel dog rough.
  • To quote yourself Preston - ha ha ha. 😁

Get well soon mate.
  • Happy Football Manager day peeps 💻📱🎮🤓
  • Ravel49 said:

Happy Football Manager day peeps 💻📱🎮🤓

In a week you'll be ready to take over from Moyes
  • All out attack 🙌🏻🙌🏻
  • I see Cresswell has signed a contract extension. He'll be staying until the summer of 2024.
  • I see Cresswell has signed a contract extension. He'll be staying until the summer of 2024.

That'll make it 10 years at the club. Testimonial in the summer of 2024?!
  • Still needs replacing though.
  • Grandchild number three has arrived into the IH dynasty this morning. 7lb baby girl to my second daughter, her first. 🥰🥰🥰
This discussion has been closed.