Couldn't think - from Sept 2022

Comments

• But yes, I wouldn't really expect you to sue.
    #NotTrump
  • MrsGrey said:

10 guineas 😂🤣

How old are you?

No comment 😂🤣😂, although not quite as old as some here methinks.

It just seems such an odd amount (£10.50 rather than £10 a year) that it looks like a guinea amount.
  • Yes, 10 guineas.

Maybe there's a groats equivalent 😂
  • MrsGrey said:

Yes, 10 guineas.

Maybe there's a groats equivalent 😂

Maybe even a goats equilavent 😂🤣😂
  • MrsGrey said:

Chancel repair insurance is essential. Church rooves are very expensive!!!

Hi there , don't see you around much these days. Are you still running?
    Always here! Just have nothing novel to say! 64 year old knee was given the option by the surgeon of being encased in a brace or having my leg broken and starting again!! I took the brace option so running somewhat limited!
  • MrsGrey said:

Indeed. I was just surprised I might have to pay for it 😅
    “ and part of what they are responsible for is something called Christ's Chapel of God's Gift.

I read this and a certain Cristiano Ronaldo jumped into my mind :-)

• edited October 2022
    Not looking good for England in the T20 World Cup; Australia have Ireland (who beat England) at 25-5 chasing 180 and will hugely improve their poor net run rate if they bowl them out cheaply.

England still have to play New Zealand and Sri Lanka, but even if we win those qualification from the group will almost certainly come down to net run rate, and Australia, who still have Afghanistan to play, will put huge pressure on England if they crush Ireland this morning.

All England's fault for letting themselves get behind the DLS par score against Ireland when the weather was so suspect.
  • Not looking good for England in the T20 World Cup; Australia have Ireland (who beat England) at 25-5 chasing 180 and will hugely improve their poor net run rate if they bowl them out cheaply.

England still have to play New Zealand and Sri Lanka, but even if we win those qualification from the group will almost certainly come down to net run rate, and Australia, who still have Afghanistan to play, will put huge pressure on England if they crush Ireland this morning.

All England's fault for letting themselves get behind the DLS par score against Ireland when the weather was so suspect.

Australia won, but at least Ireland made a fight of it and reached 137, which didn't look likely at 25-5. Australia have improved their net run rate, but it's still behind England's atm. Big game for England, against New Zealand, tomorrow morning.
  • Apparently a groat was worth for pence. You can do the numbers 🤔
  • Apparently a groat was worth for pence. You can do the numbers 🤔

Yeah, 4 old pence, so 3 groats to a shilling. Less than 2 new pence.
  • My opinion based on limited experience is that solicitors value their time and effort so highly that when something iffy turns up in the process, rather than trying to sort it out, they sell the property buyers an indemnity (insurance) policy thereby picking up a bit of commision and removing their liability if anything goes wrong = win,win,win.
  • I think they also just take on far more cases than they could actually reasonably handle. You don't even have a lawyer doing most of the work. The whole process is full of people who don't do much work or very well but profit off it being needed (or seeming too hard to add to the long list of things to do).
  • I think they also just take on far more cases than they could actually reasonably handle. You don't even have a lawyer doing most of the work

I think ( from my recent experience as seller and buyer) that much of the work doesn't need any particular legal training or skill.

Anybody could do the conveyancing if it is a relatively normal transaction. So as long as the solicitor or licensed conveyancer has an overview, a trained team of administrative staff can do the bulk of the work.
    Not sure what the solution is, really. A better set of guidelines so people can do most of it themselves. Just get a lawyer involved for the few necessary bits .... But of course none of them would work for you on that basis. Would be good though.

• The whole process needs revamping, but that's been the case for a long time.
  • I have done my own conveyancing for purchase and selling on a few occasions in the past without any problems. I would say my motivation and attention to detail was far superior to any solicitor/conveyancer I have used. More recently I was unable to represent myself as the other party's solicitor refused to deal with a 'lay person' .
    Also the service from Land Registry seems to have gone seriously downhill in recent years.
  • Interesting that you did it yourself.

I'm hoping to learn from these 2 experiences and next year when I (hopefully) buy another place I'm seriously tempted to give it a go. Only thing that deters me a bit is when you buy leasehold there's a bit more 'legal' stuff involved with checking the lease. (compared to freehold.)

• Also the service from Land Registry seems to have gone seriously downhill in recent years.

Also the service from Land Registry almost all public services seems to have gone seriously downhill in recent years the 10 years of Tory slash and burn.

Fixed it for you :p ;)
  • Things might be easier and quicker if they stopped working from home and got themselves back to work.
    It took the DVLA 6 months to transfer registration of my deceased brother’s car to my name and the reason they gave whenever I complained was “our staff are working from home and don’t have full access to the system”. This was despite the “system” allowing me to tax it online but it just double taxed it in my brother’s name even when all the relevant paperwork had been forwarded. Excuse given was the paperwork is in the office somewhere.
  • Things might be easier and quicker if they stopped working from home and got themselves back to work.
    It took the DVLA 6 months to transfer registration of my deceased brother’s car to my name and the reason they gave whenever I complained was “our staff are working from home and don’t have full access to the system”. This was despite the “system” allowing me to tax it online but it just double taxed it in my brother’s name even when all the relevant paperwork had been forwarded. Excuse given was the paperwork is in the office somewhere.

FWIW, the public sector has been so desperately slashed over the past 12 years, that as soon as there was an opportunity to have people working from home, most organisations sold off large numbers of properties that it worked from to try to save money wherever possible.
  • edited November 2022
    Remember Rees Mogg insisting dept civil service staff went back to work in the office. When they got there there were nowhere near enough desks .

Thorn, if the problem was that the staff WFH didn't have access to all parts of the system, maybe something should have been done to give them access. Seeing as all the research shows people are more efficient when working from home, take less sick leave, and have a better work life balance. I'd have thought the ideologues in favour of increased public sector efficiency would have been all over that!
  • Who does all the research. If you asked someone if they’d rather be at home or work how many would say work. Of course it’s a better work life balance because when you’re in the office you’re expected to work (except for smokers who take 15 minutes out of every hour) 😀but at home who knows what you’re doing.
    Less sick leave is obvious because you can’t stay at home sick because you’re already there 😀
  • edited November 2022
    1. Not all the research is opinion based. Employers have reported on outputs and efficiency.

2. Actually, many say they prefer to be in the office, or would prefer hybrid working.

3. . Of course when you wfh you are expected to work. It's easy to see if someone isn't.

4. You can still be sick and take a day off doing work when you are wfh.

The bottom line is, despite the myths and stereotypes about wfh, most people (wherever they work from) are conscientious and work hard and want to do a good job.

Some - in both public and private sectors - are lazy or not that bothered, and they'll be that way wherever they are. I've seen many who perfect the skive without wfh. Whether its a cigarette break, taking the long way round to get to/come back from a mtg, long lunches on the day the boss is out of the office.... shoving everyone back into the commute and the office won't change that.
  • Who does all the research. If you asked someone if they’d rather be at home or work how many would say work. Of course it’s a better work life balance because when you’re in the office you’re expected to work (except for smokers who take 15 minutes out of every hour) 😀but at home who knows what you’re doing.
    Less sick leave is obvious because you can’t stay at home sick because you’re already there 😀

I think it's more complicated than that. Lots of younger people want to go to the office, while people with more responsibilities prefer being flexible. My problem is actually a lot of the senior people who live outside London don't come into the office that much anymore so it's hard to talk to them. We have officially have hybrid now, so three days a week in the office, but actually if I have lots of work to do then a lot of the time I prefer working from home because I can start earlier and don't have to worry about sorting lunch or getting distracted by other people.

I do think hybrid's the best. Junior employees need to be able to talk to senior ones to learn and progress. It's even more important if you work in a field where exchange of ideas helps, though in something like processing documents in the Land Registry, maybe that actually would slow things down. But I think having some time at home helps with things like doctors appointments and kids. People don't have to spend time travelling back home to pick up their kids or into the office after an appointment, they just go straight back to work.

That's just not right, frankly. I have a lot of colleagues who wish we were office based now, but so many office spaces were sold off or rented out that we just aren't able to. I think it's a bit insulting to suggest that people who work from home don't work, tbh.
  • edited November 2022
    So, tonight's Spurs game. A defeat could well leave them in the Europa League (I don't think any combination of results sees them bottom of the group), a draw guarantees they qualify for the CL knockout rounds.

I can't decide if I want them to lose because, well, they're Spurs, or I'd rather they stay in the CL which they've no chance of winning whereas they'd have much more of a chance in the EL. 🤔🤔🤔
  • Well, they're losing.
  • MrsGrey said:

Interesting that you did it yourself.

I'm hoping to learn from these 2 experiences and next year when I (hopefully) buy another place I'm seriously tempted to give it a go. Only thing that deters me a bit is when you buy leasehold there's a bit more 'legal' stuff involved with checking the lease. (compared to freehold.)

I've no experience of leasehold but am pretty sure you are right about it. Also if you are purchasing with a mortgage the lender may insist on a 'professional' conveyance.
  • edited November 2022
    Ah, yes. Mortgage lenders call the shots - I hadn't thought about that. Fortunately I won't need a mortgage 🙂
    I'd like to suggest that if the mortgage lenders want certain reassurances they should pay for them. Or have an in- house lawyer to give things a look over. That could be part of the revamping of the system to make it better.
  • edited November 2022
    MrsGrey said:

Ah, yes. Mortgage lenders call the shots - I hadn't thought about that. Fortunately I won't need a mortgage 🙂

You can have mine if you want?
  • OCS, Mrs Grey could probably clear your mortgage from the proceeds in the fines jar. =)
This discussion has been closed.