Couldn't think - from Sept 2022

Comments

• Longelo's just banged one in for Birmingham in the Championship. Forgot he was there, to be honest.
  • I blame Rav for neglecting the #champohype thread.
  • MrsGrey said:

I blame Rav for neglecting the #champohype thread.

Man's on a #covidhype.
  • Trudat.

Sorry, mate, for casting aspersions...
  • Oi, who's been casting nasturtiums =)
  • Covid day 9 ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿป
  • That's a bit grim :o
  • Sorry to hear that, I was laid up for full week - am back up and about but still have that feeling that I cannot take big breath.

Dodged a bullet for over two years but it finally caught up with me

Humpth
  • Watching England v Australia in the Womens Rugby World Cup in New Zealand; looks like they're playing in a paddy field, it's a tad damp.
  • I forgot about the clocks changing. ๐Ÿ™„
  • MrsGrey said:

I forgot about the clocks changing. ๐Ÿ™„

D'oh. Were you early for something?
  • edited October 2022
    Yes.

But late as well ๐Ÿ˜‚.

I was having coffee with some friends via zoom and woke up ( as I thought) only 15 mins before.

Luckily I had time to get my act together, so they had no idea about how lazy I'd been.
  • MrsGrey said:

Luckily I had time to get my act together, so they had no idea about how lazy I'd been.

As long as they don't look here ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

How's the house purchase going?
  • edited October 2022
    All OK, thanks, it's just taking it's time to go through all the stages of the process.

Searches were fine.

Survey was good.

• edited October 2022
    Welcome home Mrs Grey, Whilst noting that the Uk has not exactly covered itself in glory, I really fear that following the next election cycle over here, I just might be following you

Ho hum

• House purchases in this country always seems an inordinately slow process, especially when you add up the time each individual step takes; the whole process seems to take 3, 5, even 10 times longer than the sum of its parts. Patience is definitely a necessary virtue, I think the process is much more frustrating if you're up against a timetable. Glad yours is progressing OK, even if somewhat slower than maybe you'd prefer.
  • Welcome home Mrs Grey, Whilst noting that the Uk has not exactly covered itself in glory, I really fear that following the next election cycle over here, I just might be following you

Ho hum

Not home yet! Hoping to do the big move early next year. Going to see out the winter here in Greece. ( Various committments and things to sort before I can relocate, not just waiting for the purchase to complete.)

I can see why you'd want to get out of the States.
  • House purchases in this country always seems an inordinately slow process, especially when you add up the time each individual step takes; the whole process seems to take 3, 5, even 10 times longer than the sum of its parts. Patience is definitely a necessary virtue, I think the process is much more frustrating if you're up against a timetable. Glad yours is progressing OK, even if somewhat slower than maybe you'd prefer.

Thanks.

Tbh, Feb next year suits me best ( long story, not very interested so I won't bore you with it). So if the purchase is completed earlier, the flat will be sitting empty anyway.

That's part of the reason I'm quite laid back about it all.

But you'd think being a cash buyer and there being no chain in either direction would make it quite quick. But there's too many 3rd parties involved that you can't control.
  • Took forever to sell my mothers house in the UK .one buyer dropped out at the last moment .which just does not happen hardly ever here in Canada if both party's went it done here only takes about a month
  • steve said:

in Canada if both party's went it done here only takes about a month

๐Ÿ˜ณ
  • edited October 2022
    It's taken 3 weeks just to get the search reports back.

My flat will be leasehold ( don't think they have that in Canada?) which adds a lot of time as there are bound to be queries that need to be followed up before contracts will be signed. Plus you have to wait for the leasehold to provide all the relevant info, eg terms of lease, copies of the accounts going back 3 yes etc. And they have no incentive to provide it quickly, being neither buyer nor seller.

And there are weird things that I've never heard of ๐Ÿ˜…. When I sold my house I was asked for fensa guarantees. And buying this flat I have to take out chancel repair insurance ( or something like that) ... Needed in case I get stuck with a bill to repair the local church roof. Who knew that was a thing ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Chancel repair insurance is essential. Church rooves are very expensive!!!
  • edited October 2022
    Not all properties are affected, tends to be those that were built on land owned by or tythed to a local church. Given the overall purchase price of a property, the insurance cost is usually relatively low (percentage terms wise) and valid for (usually) 25 years, so maybe best viewed as a purchase cost rather than an ongoing annual obligation.
  • edited October 2022
    Indeed. I was just surprised I might have to pay for it ๐Ÿ˜…
    I can only assume it's because the flat is owned by the Dulwich Estate. It was set up as a charity 400 years ago, and part of what they are responsible for is something called Christ's Chapel of God's Gift.

๐Ÿ‘€

Edit - posted replying to everhopeful and before I saw yours, Buffy.
  • edited October 2022
    The first house I ever bought was subject to a "Ground rent" even though it was a freehold; it was ยฃ10.50 a year ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚, but wasn't something I was notified about until I'd owned the house for 3 or 4 years (was generally paid in 5 year chunks).

I know ground rents aren't that unusual, and obviously the cost was insignificant, but still a surprise to be contacted out of the blue and discover I was liable to a charge.
  • If you don't pay it .. what, they're going to take your ground away ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • And btw, sue the solicitor who didn't let you know that before you bought it ๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿ’ฐ
  • Chancel repair insurance is essential. Church rooves are very expensive!!!

Hi there , don't see you around much these days. Are you still running?
  • edited October 2022
    MrsGrey said:

And btw, sue the solicitor who didn't let you know that before you bought it ๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿ’ฐ

Lol, that was many, many years ago, and for the ยฃ52.50 that covered the next 5 years it didn't seem worth the effort. Just an example of some of the unexpected things that can crop up during, or after, a property purchase.

Such an odd amount, guessing it was ten guineas a year back in the day.
  • 10 guineas ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

How old are you?
This discussion has been closed.