Chelsea (A) - 3 Sep

You’re stuck with me for another of these.

We showed that we know how to string a few passes together against Spurs when we have a bit of composure. It all feels a bit different to a couple of weeks ago. Now straight onto another London derby.

Comments

• Even though its Moyes and it would be uncharacteristic of him but I would expect a fair bit of rotation here with only two days of rest

But guess a lot depends on the injury status of Johnson/Scamacca who'd probably be starting this had they be fit

Also I wonder if Moyes fancies Emerson at LB? So far he's only been used as part of a 5, so much so we called upon Ogbonna to fill in at LB before him

No idea who starts tbf

But Chelsea haven't started great, Tuchel has been quite vocal about how pour they have been

But surely we can expect a reaction from them at Stamford bridge, would settle for the point
  • Tuchel keeps having to shuffle his starting XI and formations.

Mendy, Silva, Jorginho, Mount, Havertz and Sterling have started every game this season, Cucarella has started the last four while Koulibaly only missed one game because he was suspended

Azpilicueta returned to the starting XI against Saints for the first time since the opening game against Everton. Got substituted in 66th minute, replaced by Chilwell who also has been on the bench since the opening day

Loftus-Cheek started his fourth match in a row but had to go off at half time with a hamstring problem.

Kante will be out for weeks. Reece James has a virus and, Chabolah picked up a knee injury against Leicester, both will have late fitness tests

Gallagher will be back from suspension.

Alonso is still trying to sort out his move to Barcelona and for some reason the Spanish transfer window closes a day later than ours.

Mendy
    ?????? Silva Koulibaly Cucarella
    Gallagher Jorginho Mount
    Havertz Sterling ???????
  • Re Spanish window, closes today at 11 according to sky and football italia reports I have seen
  • Indeed, Wikipedia got it wrong

La Liga window closes 11pm in Spain which is 10pm in London

Alonso better get his skates on

Serie A window closes 9pm London time, Bundesliga 5pm London time, Ligue 1 11pm London time
  • As long as the fax informing the relevant authorities of the transfer is received on time they get time to complete the deal.
  • edited September 2022
    Alonso has been waiting pen in hand to sign this contract for six weeks now! 📝
  • Patience, Grasshopper...
  • Fabianski
    Coufal - Kehrer - Zouma - Emerson
    Rice - Soucek - Paqueta
    Bowen - Fornals
    Antonio
  • Moyes made it pretty obvious that he sees Paqueta as a No 10

After the failed experiment with 3 at the back I don't expect anything other than the usual 4-2-3-1
  • Moyes made it pretty obvious that he sees Paqueta as a No 10

After the failed experiment with 3 at the back I don't expect anything other than the usual 4-2-3-1

He may think that it only failed because of personnel. I think it might be back at some point (not for this game though).

Fabianski; Coufal Zouma Kehrer Cresswell; Rice Soucek; Bowen Paqueta Fornals; Antonio
  • We were playing 3 at the back in the second half against Spurs.
  • alderz said:

Moyes made it pretty obvious that he sees Paqueta as a No 10

He may think that it only failed because of personnel. I think it might be back at some point (not for this game though).

Fabianski; Coufal Zouma Kehrer Cresswell; Rice Soucek; Bowen Paqueta Fornals; Antonio
    Why Bowen? Should we not play form players (like Benrahma) or new options (like Cornet).? You could argue that Saturday is not the game to carry anyone.
  • Because I don’t think Moyes will drop him.
  • I agree with you, but not Moyes (on this occasion 🤪). ⚒
  • I also think, for me, Bowen has proven himself to be of sufficient quality that he deserves the chance to play himself into form. I can understand the calls for Cornet to replace him, but I am very happy with giving Bowen another game to see if it can click for him. I think an in form Bowen is a better player than an in form Cornet.
  • Maybe I’m just hoping that by saying he should be dropped almost guarantees he’ll score at the weekend! 😀⚒
  • IronHerb said:

We were playing 3 at the back in the second half against Spurs.

For the final 15 minutes, with the score at 1-1

I thought Bowen played a lot better in the second half against Spurs, seemed to be getting back to his old self.

I don't think Paqueta will start this one, it would be very un-Moyesy to start a player who has only been here 5 days
  • Bowen has started the season horribly but the 2nd half of Spurs he looked a lot more like himself

But he's been the outstanding attacker (of the ones behind the striker) in the team since he joined and took his game to the next level last season

Moyes is likely trying to play him into form and hoping something sparks to life for him
  • For the first time in a while, Rice and Soucek were playing in tandem, and dominated mf. Long may this continue. =)
  • I think we looked better because we were pressing alot more from the front especially in the 2nd half against Spurs . This lead to us breaking up play alot more so we could counter which suited Bowen and Antonio plus Soucek was able to get into the box. When we stand off like in some games we invite too much pressure and had trouble getting out barring a few breaks
  • PLF, I agree. I posted this on the Spurs game thread.
    "The key to this is to not let Spuds get a foothold early on, need to get in their faces from the off."
  • sounds like with all other signings Paqueta will be introduced over time so i expect the same starting line up almost as against Spurs other than maybe Emerson for Cresswell
  • Tuchel press conference

Everyone except Kante, Aubameyang and Zakaria available

Moyes press conference

Johnson not available, late fitness tests for Scamacca and Cresswell

He says he wants to give Paqueta "a chance to get to know the players and how we play, and getting used to the Premier League as well." I think we all know what that means...
  • edited September 2022
    Or maybe it's a bluff regarding Paqueta. He didn't look at all fazed when he came on against Spuds so maybe Moyes has been giving him double training sessions. ;)
  • edited September 2022
    Paqueta starts on the bench, although very likely to feature imo.
  • Scamacca trained today so I’m sure he’ll be in the squad
  • Good time to be playing them imo
    They will need time to settle and gel, especially the defence.

Score draw

5-5
  • Ravel49 said:

Good time to be playing them imo
    They will need time to settle and gel, especially the defence.

Score draw

5-5

Ah, repeat of 17th December 1966, Johnny Byrne's penalty saved but he scored from the rebound - I was there. COYI
  • With everyone available Tuchel is likely to revert to his preferred 3-5-2

Fofana has only played 16 minutes this season and that was three weeks ago so unlikely he'll start. Suggestions on the Chelsea website that Gallagher has been sent to the naughty step with Kovacic getting his first start of the season

Best guess

Mendy
    James Silva Koulibaly
    Loftus-Cheek Kovacic Jorginho Mount Cucarella
    Havertz Sterling
  • Did anyone else hear this?

I assumed Aubameyang was out because he'd been signed too late to be registered but he has a broken jaw.

He was assaulted by burglars in his home on Sunday night!