Chelsea (A) - 3 Sep

Comments

• Can’t see why VAR had to get involved. Bowen “may” have brushed his left leg over Mandy’s arm but that doesn’t stop him being able to save Cornet’s shot. The problem is there is no real come back on the referees if it is proved an error has been made. I have honestly thought the same when a poor decision is made & isn’t in one of our games.
  • If Mendy was in that much pain, he should’ve came off the field. Of course that wouldn’t happen though as he faked the injury and he wouldn’t risk letting an outfield player go in goal for Chelsea as they used all 5 subs and to play the remainder of the game with 10 men
  • edited September 2022
    Oh well back in the bottom 3 oh hum
  • Lukerz said:

I thought it was a foul. Bowen leaves his leg in. But I don’t think VAR should have got involved once the ref allowed the goal.

Lukerz, are you the Chelsea version of Baz =) =) =)

The ball's gone and then Mendy got shot
  • It doesn’t matter. He’s made contact & regardless of Mendy’s OTT reaction, he doesn’t then get involved in the game because of the contact. I am not sure why Bowen leaves his leg in.
  • There’s absolutely no foul there, for me. And looking at the reaction from everyone apart from Thomas Tuchel and Lukerz, it’s not just for me.
  • Does Bowen make contact with Mendy & 2) does he get any of the ball?
  • We need to be a bit more savvy. Against Forest, Antonio stayed on his feet & the foul went against him. Bowen maybe should have dived over Mendy after the collision. By standing up & dragging his leg it makes it look like a foul.
  • Lukerz said:

Does Bowen make contact with Mendy & 2) does he get any of the ball?

Contact is allowed in football
  • Lukerz said:

Does Bowen make contact with Mendy & 2) does he get any of the ball?

It’s a contact sport. Making contact doesn’t automatically mean a foul.
  • In that scenario it’s always going to be difficult as it resulted in a goal
  • That’s where you’re wrong. They’re trying to turn it into a non contact sport again. I thought this season referees were supposed to be a bit more lenient with hard but fair tackles to keep the play going but some seem to have missed the email.
    VAR should be used as an assistant which the name says but it seems to be used as an overriding authority.
    I think VAR is used as a negative tool in that for goals it examines forensically for a reason to disallow it.
  • edited September 2022
    I see it as Mendy gets ball, Bowen kicks his arm, Mendy exaggerates, the goal is scored.

We’ve lost the game because, for me, we were passive, Fab had a mare & Cornet missed a great chance.
  • Moyes let rip in his interview
  • Bowen is trying to jump over Mandy and it’s his trailing leg that catches him , it’s more Mandy sliding into Bowen .
  • Listening to it on the radio, the commentator (before the goal was struck off) said "Mendy is hiding his embarrassment by feigning injury. When it was struck off he was almost in tears with rage. I can't tell you how bad he thought he thought the ref was 😡
  • It doesn’t matter what Bowen is trying to do, the point is he doesn’t get the ball & he makes contact with Mendy’s arm. That’s what the VAR has seen. You can’t deny Mendy gets the ball & Bowen makes contact with Mendy’s arm.
  • Darren bent tony pulls Michael Owen even Jamie o,hara have all said it’s a joke of a decision
  • Lukerz, Mendy had already pushed the ball away before Bowen jumps over him. Regardless of whether he left in a trailing leg is irrelevant (and anyway the contact was minimal) as it had no material effect on what followed.
  • Lukerz, give it up now.
  • The ball had gone I can't understand what you're saying to be honest.
  • It’s not irrelevant if Mendy then milks injury as VAR will think Mendy may have got back up & impacted Cornet scoring
  • Yes it does matter it’s about intent Bowen is trying to get out the way otherwise no one would ever be able to touch a goalkeeper
  • Changing the subject, I think it's time Areola is the starting GK, Fab is costing us now.
  • No chance he is stopping Cornet if Bowen was or wasn't there even if he didn't milk it and try to get up and stop him.
    It's daylight robbery either way.
  • Bigger picture. That sort of decision is bad for football.
  • The reaction from the media, ex pros etc is something else.
  • The VAR is Australian who spent most of his career in Japan and Australia. He’s been on the PL list a couple of years.
  • Villa move above us.
  • Villa move above us.

Really wouldn’t worry about the table on September 3rd