Chelsea (A) - 3 Sep

12345679»

Comments

• Time will tell if the 1 point we shouldve gained will make a difference at the end of the season

Just a thought, perhaps VAR should be controlled by more than one person. Like 3 people (I dont care if thats not cost effective etc). Then they're more likely to come to a more rounded decision when called upon
  • Referees' body PGMOL has acknowledged the VAR incidents at Chelsea and Newcastle on Saturday as mistakes, after the Premier League asked the officiating board to investigate them.

Saturday's Premier League action was marred by a series of decisions that were either overturned thanks to the intervention of VAR or not given despite the presence of the review system, which infuriated managers of multiple teams, who were unable to contain their feelings post-match.
  • I reckon you could have 10 of them in the room and they'll still make a horlocks of it.
  • Preston, You can see the seen it’s a split vote so the referee will accept a majority verdict. 😁
  • Easy let me decide, VAR every spud goal and overturn it for being a spud, simples
  • Easy let me decide, VAR every spud goal and overturn it for being a spud, simples

This might just work out for the best :)
  • Deeply frustrating and very annoying, and I sort of get some of the moans aimed at Fab and Moyes's tactics because we came away with no points, but in footballing terms it was a 2 2 draw as even the VAR reviews accepts. So let's be annoyed at the officials but not the team for their performance.
  • In all fairness, despite their recent results, Chelsea is not an easy place to go. We stifled first half and had more of the ball second. Its not like we didnt have any chances and we definitely restricted them. I've been advocating Cornet playing for a while. He's very pacey and that live wire you need to cause problems and create. When Scamacca is well again, having him Antonio, Benni, Cornet and Bowen (with Paqueta behind) as options (especially with 5 sub rule) is way better quality wise than we've been used to. Just a matter of tie before we gel and subsequently start scoring more.

The VAR thing is what it is. We definitely deserved a draw and I am still very sore about it
  • The annoying this is also going to be that we'll now get a bad decision given in our favour and people will say "it all evens itself out in the end".
    I don't want us to get a dodgy decision because a ref messed up earlier in the league.
    Players, managers, supporters need to call out these rubbish decisions even when they benefit from them.
    Spotlight needs to be put on every single bad var interruption until it get used in an intelligent way, namely the ref asking var to check something rather than this var checks everything.
  • But what if the ref doesn't ask var to check, and replays show he got it wrong?

There'll be as much unhappiness with that.
    I'm not sure changing the system in that way will lead to any better decisions. It all comes down to human judgement ( error) in the end.
  • edited September 2022
    The obvious error made by Andy Madley and the Aussie VAR was to look at the "non-foul" in isolation instead of the whole sequence of events.
    The question that should have been posed was, did the "non-foul" have any bearing on the subequent events, i.e. if there had not actually been any "contact" would Mendy still have been able to regain a position (after voluntarily and deliberately going to ground) and have been able to prevent Cornet's goal.
    It was clear from the video replays that he would not have been able to do so.
    This is different to a foul being committed in the build up to a goal where, if there had been no foul, then the following passage of play would not have resulted in the goal.
  • Moojor, We are now unlikely to get a dodgy decision go in our favour as VAR will be used correctly going forward by the officials & there will be no more controversy. I am just off to see where the pig that flew past by window has gone! =)
  • now why do I know that team that beat Chavs tonight, checks last season and laughs
  • I was still feeling pretty down about the Chelsea game so have just watched highlights of the game at LS where Mendy gifted us a penalty and then let in Arthur's cross. I feel a little better now.
  • We're a bit troublesome for Mendy, aren't we?