The Transfer Window

Comments

• Update from Ex this morning saying Aguerd is very close and the club hope to make an announcement soon.

Not finalised obviously and things can turn, but if this deal is pushed over the line it's a good start to the window and a proactive start
  • Did Rio ever play for West Ham? He must of been over-shadowed by his brother and Uncle Les! 😀⚒
  • Update from Ex this morning saying Aguerd is very close and the club hope to make an announcement soon.

Not finalised obviously and things can turn, but if this deal is pushed over the line it's a good start to the window and a proactive start

If we signed any player this quick I'd be pleased! (still think its Aguero :) )
  • edited May 2022
    Baz, hasn't he retired because of a heart condition?
  • I think a few of us might have a heart condition should we actually finalise a deal before the window opens.
  • edited May 2022
    So he’s primarily a cb but can play lb? They said the same about Oggy but I wouldn’t want him at lb so is this the same? Either way, guess it means Diop is definitely off or they’re worried about Zoumas case or Oggys injury as we don’t need 5 cbs. LB, CM, St, RW and GK are where we’re already short on numbers so CB is a weird place to start.
  • So he’s primarily a cb but can play lb? They said the same about Oggy but I wouldn’t want him at lb so is this the same? Either way, guess it means Diop is definitely off or they’re worried about Zoumas case or Oggys injury as we don’t need 5 cbs. LB, CM, St, RW and GK are where we’re already short on numbers so CB is a weird place to start.

Ogbonna is out of contract, isn't he? Do we hold an extension clause on him? The concern is whether he returns from his injury even if we can extend, as, given his age and the injury I can't see us giving him another contract.

Diop should definitely be offloaded this summer imo; he's out of contract next summer and, despite some slightly improved performances towards the end of the season, I don't think Moyes rates him enough to offer him a new contract, so we really need to sell him now to get anything back for him. So I really wouldn't worry about us having 5 CBs, it's never gonna happen.
  • I would rather keep Diop than Ogbonna, tbh. I really like Oggy, but he's 34 and he's been out for nearly a year. We have no idea if he's going to be able to compete when he gets back. Diop is a decent 4th choice, IMO, and he's not going to be worth much in the market. I think it makes sense to just let Oggy go.

I like that this guy is a genuine left sided CB. I think Zouma actually played really well n the left as the season wore on, but he's definitely more of a natural on the right.
  • Think we have a year option on Diop, so arguably we have him for 2 years

Agree with Alderz, think Ogbonna is the most likely....we have zero idea what level he'll be returning at but he's already 34 and having a 7 month ACL injury...its hard to see him come back

I think that if someone bids £15mil or more for Diop we'd be open to selling bur honestly just can't see anyone bidding that much
  • Ok, that makes sense. I didn’t think Oggy was out of contract but if he is, yeah, he’s probably a little to old to renew given the injury he’s just had.
    Get this and Areola over this week and that’s a lot of time to focus on the other positions.
  • Did anyone else see those odd sounding reports that Dawson might not be around much longer, have no links but sure I read them a couple of days ago, apart from a few howlers surely he's done more than enough to be around for longer, hopefully just more tosh I read....
  • jay, The story I read was he wanted to return to the north for family reasons.
  • Did anyone else see those odd sounding reports that Dawson might not be around much longer, have no links but sure I read them a couple of days ago, apart from a few howlers surely he's done more than enough to be around for longer, hopefully just more tosh I read....

Be shocked if he leaves this summer

Can see him going for free next year
  • jay, The story I read was he wanted to return to the north for family reasons.

Back up north, to watford?

Back up north, to watford?
    There's nowhere worth going north of Watford, is there?
  • He's from the Bolton / Rochdale area.
  • Talks between West Ham and Czech midfielder Tomas Soucek, 27, over a new contract have reached an impasse. (Guardian)
    I find this disturbing. Soucek has, imo, been a major factor in our success this past couple years. A must keep for me.
  • Talks between West Ham and Czech midfielder Tomas Soucek, 27, over a new contract have reached an impasse. (Guardian)
    I find this disturbing. Soucek has, imo, been a major factor in our success this past couple years. A must keep for me.

While I agree we've also been burnt by offering contract improvements after a good debut season for form to fall off

Soucek form was amazing for 18 months but he's had a poor 12 months this season, and yes fatigue has influenced this but even early season he was poor before the games added up

He has two years left on his contract....so we have another 12 months to negotiate his contract before it becomes last chance saloon to get a good fee

I think it'll be resolved, and while I think we should sign him up....we shouldn't be bowing to every demand (similarly to Coufal who's form has also regressed and he wanted a big pay rise after last year)

Also, since COVID there appears to be more players running down contracts or getting to their final years than usual
  • if we had a bigger squad i would say Soucek was replaceable and could probably get a decent fee for him. However since we dont have the squad....
  • Probably worth pointing out that Coufal was playing with an injury for the first half of the season which undoubtedly was a major factor in his suspect form before his surgery. Also worth noting that Soucek was playing a slightly different role this season, as it seems clear Rice was given more licence to get forward.
  • I wonder, does anyone have any stats comparing this season and the last that would indicate if there was any advantage with Rice in the more forward role that would offset the loss of Soucek's performance/goals?
  • I wonder, does anyone have any stats comparing this season and the last that would indicate if there was any advantage with Rice in the more forward role that would offset the loss of Soucek's performance/goals?

• Guy is decent. Scored 5 goals already.
  • Baz, hasn't he retired because of a heart condition?

Yes he has. I was just messing about ;)
  • And has the Number 6 shirt too.

👍🏻
    Oh… hadn’t seen that at all , but if that’s the reason it MIGHT happen, then fair enough…
    He’s been well worth the small fee paid for him..
  • IronHerb said:

And has the Number 6 shirt too.

That's bordering on sacrilege IH. That number is permanently retired (as if you didn't know ;) ).
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61598272

For those playing BINGO - 3 row in the middle & 5th row lhs!!!!!!!
  • Some deal, Leeds also signing a young CM from RB salsburg for £26mil

Should have been all over that
  • If Moyes had actually wanted him, surely we could've easily poached him off Leeds when alerted (now I've typed that, he'll have a blinding season for them)
This discussion has been closed.