The Transfer Window

Comments

• We'll see how much overhaul transpires in the coming weeks I guess...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-moyes-transfer-overhaul-b1001851.html
  • On the closed transfer thread Aslef wrote:
    "Antonio was 25 when we signed him seven years ago, Dennis is 24 (25 in November), he's got time to develop and I doubt he'll want mega wages so if he doesn't work out he won't have been an expensive waste of time.

His middle name is Bonaventure. I like him already"

My old school "St. Bonaventure's RC Grammar School" Forest Gate.

Another pupil was Jermaine Defoe. ;)
  • Ronnie Boyce went to my old school.

* one for the kids there.
  • Slacker, on his Wiki page it says "His nickname, Ticker, relates to his role as the "heartbeat" of those cup wins (1964 FA Cup and 1965 European CWC)".
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but when I watched him play, he was called Ticker because of his ability to just run and run and his nickname was a reference to the strength of his heart.
  • Can't believe that some think we can compete with Liverpool ergo City, Real, Barca, PSG and Bayern on transfers -
  • Slacker, on his Wiki page it says "His nickname, Ticker, relates to his role as the "heartbeat" of those cup wins (1964 FA Cup and 1965 European CWC)".
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but when I watched him play, he was called Ticker because of his ability to just run and run and his nickname was a reference to the strength of his heart.

Yeah he was called Ticker because he never stopped running up and down the pitch.
    When I was a kid I based my game on him which didn’t impress my coach as I was supposed to be the centre forward!

• edited May 2022
    IronHerb, I know, if they could, the very top teams would buy all the best players but that can't happen unless they break financial regulations, oh hang on a second! Being serious they won't be able to buy them all so all I am asking for is for us to sign a few that they choose not to but who are still real quality additions IMHO. Aston Villa signed Kamara so there is proof that it can be done.
  • edited May 2022
    He's Aguerd defender?

(my groan emoji is on another thread if required)
  • Well, if Soucek is allowed to leave we need another player in on top of the 5/6/7 that we already desperately need.
  • https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12620188/jesse-lingard-west-ham-reignite-interest-in-manchester-united-winger-on-free-transfer

Sky saying we've made initial enquiries with Jesse's representatives... Most of the article is about him not getting a send off and Neville giving Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce examples who didn't either.

That smacks of two wrongs and a further wrong added to it. Lingard has been there since he was a boy and it wouldn't have hurt at all to give him minutes at Utds last home game.

I get that Robson and Bruce were great Utd players but they were bought from WBA and Norwich as opposed to always being there. Also, as just said, that's Utds bad for not doing it for them. Hopefully, Jesse now knows he should've come to where he was wanted and loved.

If we had him this season would that have made a difference in League and Europa? And no, I am not saying thats the clubs fault, it was Jesse's decision of course.
  • IF this report is accurate it raises the question of how he is being asked to play as that appears to be a contributing factor in why he isn't as influential as in previous seasons & that is down to the manager who now no longer rates him as much?
  • Well, if Soucek is allowed to leave we need another player in on top of the 5/6/7 that we already desperately need.
    Apparently we're going to be very busy in the market or DM has decided we only need a first 11 and 5 subs...
  • I personally would hate to see Soucek leave, while I agree his first season was better, don’t think all the blame can be put on him….
    Gotta trust Moyes I guess…… But…..🤔
  • edited May 2022
    I dont want him to leave either. The whole point is to have a stronger squad and competition for places (he doesn't have to be a nailed starter). Thats unless we get a stupid fee for him (40+M)

We can then chuck 5 bob at Burnley for Brownhill and put the profit into a phantom striker fund
  • Cornet, McNeill (we could revitalize him), Taylor, Pope.. Do we desire any Burnleys?

Not counting Watford as we are already linked with Dennis plus Sarr will probably be the only other player clubs want

Norwich? (I'll pause for the laughter to end)
  • The issue with letting Soucek go for me is kinda twofold. He definitely needs replacing so it is yet another player we need to bring in which firstly means that we're relying on G&S to get yet another deal over the line (not something they're renowned for) on top of the plenty that we already need and secondly it's yet another new body in and having a lot of new players all coming in during the same window is often a recipe for disaster.
  • edited May 2022
    When Rice leaves, Soucek can just resume the position in which he excelled and then Rice's replacement fills Soucek's vacated position. Can't see the sense in selling him.
  • I'd be gutted if he left. Even if he's been below par, he still gives 100 per cent effort. He seems a good bloke to have around and a team player
  • I don't want to sell Soucek

But there was also a time when WH fans were saying we can't let go of Diop when he was getting linked to united for £40mil, or Anderson to Liverpool for £50mil, or Lanzini for £30mil to Liverpool after their first seasons.....now you'd have bit their hands off for those fees with hindsight

£40mil is more than I think he's worth....although I still dont think we can or should sell him with the squad so thin

But a lot of us moan how we never get good value for players but we also never sell our stars untill they've thrown a stop (Arnie or Payet) or played themselves out of form
  • Bazshuayi said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12620188/jesse-lingard-west-ham-reignite-interest-in-manchester-united-winger-on-free-transfer

Sky saying we've made initial enquiries with Jesse's representatives... Most of the article is about him not getting a send off and Neville giving Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce examples who didn't either.

You would have hoped they would have made more than initial enquiries after all this time!!
  • There is a report that says Lingard wants to take his time & properly assess his options. Now where have we seen this scenario before?
  • Next stop, Newcastle - it's all about the money.
  • waste of time chasing Lingard
  • Sam Johnstone is officially leaving West Brom. It mentions in the article that we bid £10m for him last summer, so he seems like a possibility for us. I would personally prefer Areola to stay, but it's plausible that we'd prefer a free transfer to spend money elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61564249
  • alderz, Save money to spend elsewhere don't let G&S hear that. =)
  • You mean save money and then not spend it anywhere hahaha
  • Lingard will probably like to see our ambition for the coming season before agreeing to join. In my view he goes to Newcastle, Spurs or us. Newcastle will pay him most, Spurs have Champions League football but he knows he will get played and enjoy himself with us.
This discussion has been closed.