• Phil Jones😬
  • Eidur Gudjohnsen
  • Happy Aguerd announcement day

Can't wait for the twitter meltdown when he hasn't been announced by midday
  • edited June 2022
    It will be very interesting to see how well will Aguerd do, do, do

=)
  • wish I'd typed that first...
  • Apparently Haller is leaving Ajaz for Borussia Dortmund as a replacement for Haaland with the suggestion that we might get a bit of money through a "sell on" clause

Good luck to him
  • Apparently Haller is leaving Ajaz for Borussia Dortmund as a replacement for Haaland with the suggestion that we might get a bit of money through a "sell on" clause

Good luck to him

Yeah, I did read that we would get in the region of £6m-£7m, but I've also seen plenty of people saying there was no sell-on clause, so who knows.

Good move for Haller though. I'm still disappointed we couldn't get a tune out of him.
  • If that was the Halle Orchestra then we almost certainly would have got a tune. 🏃‍♂️
  • Exciting addition

I like that we've been after him for so long and finally got our man, sounds like we've properly identified him which is good to hear

Won't lie and say I've seen him play, but everything I've heard sounds like he's going to be very good and a great Ogbonna replacement/Zouma partner
  • edited June 2022
    Good start with the Aguerd signing. CB positions covered:

Zouma (Dawson) and Aguerd (Ogbonna).

Diop will presumably be allowed to leave now, and Alese loaned out for experience. Hopefully we can secure Areola soon and then target a ST, LB, AM and CM.

Standard is reporting that Moyes is after six more signings.
  • Hoping we could get an 8-figure sum for Diop, maybe not likely though....but it'll offset some of the Aguerd cost

Got our 4CB then we have Alese/Baptiste who can eventually take over Ogbonna/Dawson

Now for Areola (or another GK) who we seem closest to
  • have we signed anyone yet, yeeeessssssssssssss
  • OCS, I hope The Standard are correct and not just repeating what has been said elsewhere as guesswork.

WHU, IF Diop is to leave & go back to France we should use him as a means to sign a player from Lyon or Monaco who I understand are showing interest. Diop from Monaco or one of Aouar, Paqueta or Tete from Lyon, well I can dream. =)
  • OCS, I hope The Standard are correct and not just repeating what has been said elsewhere as guesswork

So do I. As I see it we need a CM to replace Noble and a RM to replace Yarmo. Both regularly featured from the bench so will absolutely need replacing. Areola will also need replacing (think he'll sign on a permanent deal), so that's three. The obvious and perennial need a ST makes four, so presumably a LB and LW make the six?
  • edited June 2022
    I’m not too bothered whether we sign Areola. I won’t moan if we do, but think there are plenty of options out there.
  • Lukerz, It all depends on who we sign instead?
  • I get the striker and Nobes replacement thing but I’m still not sure as to why we need a new left back. But then again I’m in the garden drinking beer……..
  • Slacker said:

I get the striker and Nobes replacement thing but I’m still not sure as to why we need a new left back. But then again I’m in the garden drinking beer……..

Really? Cresswell is definitely a weak link defensively, and, tbh, his contributions going forward have started to peter off. The main reason Fornals played so many games on the left if because of the huge shift he can put in defensively to help cover for Cresswell's weaknesses. Personally I'll be gutted if Cresswell is our starting LB next season.
  • I don’t agree. There is definitely room to improve on Cresswell, especially at his age, but I felt he was very solid defensively last season & the one before. Good assists from LB, lovely technical ability on the ball & with his forward passing. Yes he can get out-jumped from a standing start but most can. We need to start thinking about the future at LB but I would not be gutted to see him playing. We’ve just finished in the top 7 two seasons running with him as a key player. Bit disrespectful towards him.
  • Cresswell has been with us for 8 seasons and held down the left back spot under several managers. He consistently plays over 30 games a season for us. At 32 we may need to plan for his succession but I feel he still has a lot to offer in our first team/squad.
  • Strange how folks see it. I thought Cresswell came through a slightly sticky patch two or three years ago but in recent seasons I think he’s been pretty solid at the back and effective getting down the line.
    I like him, there I’ve said it.
    Ooh another cold one? Yeah I reckon I could manage that….
  • Cresswell was brilliant in the first few seasons, hence the England recognition, and then after that knee injury his form dropped right off.

He's certainly improved over the last two seasons again but he's a bit of a one-trick pony now, IMO. Yes, he has good delivery, but defensively I think he's left wanting due to a lack of pace, lack of concentration and, as displayed in the EL, his decision making is questionable.

And as an attacking threat, he's all too predictable. Rarely takes on his man on the outside, so it's almost always a pass inside. When he does get a bit of space, he takes a touch and swings in a cross. 2 goals and 7 assist last season is far from terrible, but I'm not sure how many of those were from open play (alderz?).

I just think we can, and should, upgrade this summer. He's been a great servant and I'd be happy to keep him at the club for another season at least, but I personally don't think he should be our starting LB next season.
  • His lack of pace was the cause for his red cards that cost us so dear, and he was lucky not to get another one or two last season imo. The season before last was better than the couple before that, but he's gone now defensively imo, and offers less and less offensively (partly because he knows he can't get back any more). Whatever pace he had really seems to have gone completely.

Yes, he's been a good servant to the club, but he's become a liability defensively (admittedly not as much as Masuaku is) and definitely needs replacing as a starting LB imo.
  • Worth noting that eleven Premier League clubs haven't signed any senior players so far
  • And as an attacking threat, he's all too predictable. Rarely takes on his man on the outside, so it's almost always a pass inside. When he does get a bit of space, he takes a touch and swings in a cross. 2 goals and 7 assist last season is far from terrible, but I'm not sure how many of those were from open play (alderz?).

According to WhoScored, 2 from corners, 3 from free kicks, 2 from open play.

Something to consider is that he's incredibly effective from set pieces which are generally recognised as a huge weapon for us. That's 5 assists from set pieces for him, which is the same amount as Fornals and Bowen combined.
  • Hey ho, different strokes/ different folks.

See, I’m learning mods.😉
  • alderz said:

And as an attacking threat, he's all too predictable. Rarely takes on his man on the outside, so it's almost always a pass inside. When he does get a bit of space, he takes a touch and swings in a cross. 2 goals and 7 assist last season is far from terrible, but I'm not sure how many of those were from open play (alderz?).

According to WhoScored, 2 from corners, 3 from free kicks, 2 from open play.

Something to consider is that he's incredibly effective from set pieces which are generally recognised as a huge weapon for us. That's 5 assists from set pieces for him, which is the same amount as Fornals and Bowen combined.
    Is that enough to keep in the team though, do you think? I'd be surprised if we couldn't find another left back that could offer a similar amount of assists whilst also providing better defensive attributes.
  • I know what you mean about him coming through the sticky patch, Slacker, but personally feel he started to regress again after his injury last season. His in play delivery was often not great but mostly defensively I felt there was some costly losses of concentration and those red cards that cost us towards the end of the season. Masuaku is criticised for very similar things. I’m happy to see Cresswell start but think it’s time to have an eye on a future replacement. It’s probably Masuaku we’re looking to replace rather than Cresswell.
This discussion has been closed.