Films and TV

Comments

• Is it about Gazza's hanger on, Jimmy 5 bellys?
  • edited June 2022
    If you enjoyed Bosch, you will enjoy the new series Lincoln Lawyer, both lead characters are based off books by Michael Connelly and in the stores are actually half brothers, the characters from one will not appear in the other as they are carried by different networks.

However, both are very good and worth catching
  • I've read most of the Bosch and Mickey Haller books by Michael Connelly, but as is often the case I'm reluctant to watch film or TV adaptations in case they don't live up to my impressions of the characters.

Have you read many of the books chicago?
  • I've read them all too Buffy. The Bosch adaptations ( admit I only saw a few) were quite good but not completely faithful. They took a couple of novels and wove a single ' new' episode. It was more of a 'based on' approach. I liked it though ( and I normally always prefer the book version of a TV/film). Maybe because it wasn't trying ( and failing) to be faithful to the print version.
  • edited June 2022
    Thanks for that Mrs G.

The TV adaptation that I really don't understand is Bones, which is surprising as the author, Kathy Reichs, was directly involved in the TV series. The Tempe Brennan from the books is nothing at all like the character portrayed on TV, who is very socially awkward (possibly on the scale somewhere) whereas there's nothing in the books (again, I've read nearly all of them) to suggest that she is.

A huge amount was made of this in the TV series (not quite suggesting she was a sauvant, but that she was so good at reconstructing crimes because of her unusual thought processes) but it simply wasn't there in the books, so I found the TV characterisation of her as nothing like the one I had in my head from the books.

Also, bizarrely, she has a sister in the books and a brother in the TV series.
  • I've read most of the Bosch and Mickey Haller books by Michael Connelly, but as is often the case I'm reluctant to watch film or TV adaptations in case they don't live up to my impressions of the characters.

Have you read many of the books chicago?

I have not actually read them but having watched the series and got into them, I will certainly be giving them a try, this is slightly unusual for me as I would normally read the book first.

The most egregious adaptation of a book imo was of course casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, the new Reacher may be closer to the book in physicality, but in my mind it still did not work for me.

• The series is a little disjointed with maybe two or three books in one series. Usually the plot is true to the book, and the guy playing Bosch is believable.

It's available on Amazon prime if you have it.

Mrs E and I have read all of the books.
  • Physically, Cruise was such a total miss-cast for Jack Reacher it's not true, haven't seen the new one you're referring to. It's always awkward when you've read a book as film or TV adaptations rarely get remotely close to how you imagine the characters.
  • James Patterson's books about the detective Alex Cross... you know he's a young black guy and in one book he swims a mile out to see at night, boards a boat and beats up the baddies. I pictured a young Denzil Washington, they cast Morgan Freeman. Great actor but Come on!!! He ain't doing that!
  • Physically, Cruise was such a total miss-cast for Jack Reacher it's not true, haven't seen the new one you're referring to. It's always awkward when you've read a book as film or TV adaptations rarely get remotely close to how you imagine the characters.

The guy that played Reacher in the Amazon Prime version was very believable
  • I've got Amazon Prime but I must admit I never seem to think of it for films or TV stuff.
  • You shopaholic you. 😉
  • Just watched No Time to Die. What is the ending all about?!?!?!
  • I'm now watching aufwiedersen pet. A nice bit of 80's nostalgia.
  • Cant say there has been much to whet the appetite over the break....though I enjoyed Essex in the T20 blast.....and the Lionesses in the Euro comp, my wife watched with me, last footie match she watched was WBA away in 1986!
  • I see Batgirl has been binned...I really want to see it now! I think really really rubbish films are good entertainment =)
  • I see Batgirl has been binned...I really want to see it now! I think really really rubbish films are good entertainment =)

The old Street Fighter film was a Saturday night favourite for this
  • Has anyone seen The room? Laugh out loud bad.
  • 3 FILMS TO WATCH OR NOT!
    First up LONDON BOULEVARD, starring Colin FARRELL, Ray WHINSTONE- a gangster movie, usual storyline with a slight twist. Ray dark and menacing with deep throat drawl.IIf your not sqeamish, enjoy, Keira Nihgtly has looked better! 8/10 rating
    The GRAY MAN- stars Chris EVANS as the ghost, political double crossing, car chases, loads of lead flying about...good fun, 8/10
    Third offerring from beyond, TRISTAN and ISOLDE, great fun medieval romp, stars include, James FRANCO, David OHARA (Makes a great baddie), Henry CAVILL ( nothing like being the Witcher!) 7/10
    Enjoy
  • I just saw Bullet Train at the cinema, and one of the characters is a West Ham fan (he has a West Ham sticker on his phone) and three different versions of Bubbles were played throughout the film.
  • Yeah my son saw it the other day and said that. Makes me want to watch it even more.
  • It was a lot of fun as a film tbh
  • On Spotify the playlist is on there. A version from engelbert humperdinck.
  • Yeah I think one was Cockney Rejects and another I had no idea on
  • Currently watching latest series of Better Call Saul / Westworld
  • Recently watched Whiplash and Prey. Both very enjoyable.
  • In our house, we are watching Only Murders in the Building on Disney+. It's really light and easy watching, but it's also very good. Great cast (Martin Short, Selena Gomez, Steve Martin), great concept, silly and funny. Would recommend.
  • I have been watching Lucifer for an easy watch its quite funny and a bit different
  • Just finished bingeing on Stranger Things to then find out they've not even started shooting Series 5.
    Went back to Bosch Series 4.
  • edited August 2022
    Binge watched "Sandman" on Netlix.

I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's work, I thought the series did an excellent job of adapting and updating the original comic books

My only problem is that Tom Sturridge occasionally looks like Dylan Moran
This discussion has been closed.