West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd. Saturday 19th February, 12:30pm. BT Sport.

Comments

• Hamstew said:

Didnt our players have some sort of meeting to kick start the season again?

Guess most forgot to pitch up?
  • We are certainly off the pace right now, we did not offer up much at all and all this talk about us being a top four contending side is beginning to look a bit embarrassing.

To be fair, we have still had a great season which I have largely enjoyed but if we are honest with ourselves, did anyone really expect us to keep it up without significant reinforcement
  • Our level of inspiration on the pitch matches perfectly our level of aspiration off the pitch.

On a personal performance level Dawson was great but Antonio is not only poor but doesn't appear to even know what position he has been asked to play? he was doing nothing in so many parts of the pitch.
  • Didn't deserve to win, from a team who looked exciting at the start of season we now look so pony going forward, bereft of any real ideas....

Look, I never thought we'd be where we are in the league, but recent performances have mid mid to lower team performance level, and I know some on here might say look at the results of late, but that performance today and most of our recent ones was nothing more than very, very average, and that's being extremly polite IMO.

If we carry on like this, I'm thinking we'll end up finishing 8-10th.
    Europa or FA cup seems like our best chance of any glory, and that's pushing our luck a bit.

Yup, an in-form Southampton in the cup. Some big teams in the EL knock out rounds. It would have been difficult if all of our players were in form, but at the moment we look shot. If Rice and Bowen aren't firing we have nothing.
  • Well it’s wolves up next and they’re in a good run of form so I expect the same trials and tribulations as today.
  • Two weeks in a row we have played weakened opposition & struggled to draw both. There are too many players who are spent & we don’t have capable replacements. Antonio just isn’t on it anymore.
  • It’s a long time since we’ve been booed off the pitch.
  • It’s a long time since we’ve been booed off the pitch.

5th in the league and getting booed off. Sad times.
  • edited February 2022
    I’ve gone from looking forward to us playing, to being very nervous and glad if we can fluke a goal to scrape a point.
    I know which West Ham I prefer to watch!
  • Areola can't get in ahead of Fabianksi, who is struggling. Kral can't get a kick at all. Vlasic continues to offer nothing.

We all talk about what we haven't done in the last couple of windows, but there also have to be questions about what we did do.
  • edited February 2022
    Zouma man of the match for me, not sure why Dawson got it, Joelington, Willock best players on the pitch by a country mile. Completely bossed Rice & Soucek.
  • Horsham, Sorry to say no it isn’t but there are a few things to be downbeat about today IMHO.
  • Lukerz said:

Zouma man of the match for me, not sure why Dawson got it, Joelington, Willock best players on the pitch by a country mile. Completely bossed Rice & Soucek.

Both CBs had good games. Could have gone either way. Just not enough elsewhere on the pitch. Too many passengers again and with Wolves next it's only going to get worse.
  • Areola can't get in ahead of Fabianksi, who is struggling. Kral can't get a kick at all. Vlasic continues to offer nothing.

We all talk about what we haven't done in the last couple of windows, but there also have to be questions about what we did do.

To be fair, Moyes has always said he likes to bed players in. But none of them have really been given a chance because Moyes sees it as too much of a risk. So why buy/loan them if that is the case?
  • Did we lose?Reads like it on this thread.
    In the game I saw we didn’t play well but got a point, so not the end of the world is it really?

• Slacker said:

Did we lose?Reads like it on this thread.
    In the game I saw we didn’t play well but got a point, so not the end of the world is it really?

Which would be a good result were we fighting relegation. Our aspirations have changed and in line with that we expect three points at home against a very weakened team at the bottom of the table, or perhaps the idea is we are West Ham and should not higher our aspirations.
  • Slacker said:

Which would be a good result were we fighting relegation. Our aspirations have changed and in line with that we expect three points at home against a very weakened team at the bottom of the table, or perhaps the idea is we are West Ham and should not higher our aspirations.
    What are our aspirations?

To be fair, Moyes has always said he likes to bed players in. But none of them have really been given a chance because Moyes sees it as too much of a risk. So why buy/loan them if that is the case?
    Exactly. I get the bedding in thing, but if he's keen to take that approach, maybe don't make 75% of your signings players that need bedding in.

Given how important Lingard was, his replacement should have been someone ready for the league. I almost feel like Ross Barkley would have been the better option of him and Vlasic.

And even if Kral was signed only as cover, how can he still not get a game ahead of a hopelessly out of form Soucek. Surely you just keep Coventry at the club to sit on the bench.
  • That was a game between a side going stale vs a side with fresh blood & it showed. A bit more quality from Newcastle & they’d have won that. Thought their midfield were imperious, especially Joelinton. Willock was outstanding.
  • Slacker said:

Top 4, according to Moyes.
  • I can handle dropping points if it was a game where we were peppering their goal with shots and their keeper and defence played blinders but as I saw it ,we offered very little, we're too predictable and had no game changing options. We weren't exactly away to Man City.It was a poor day at the office
  • Slacker said:

My take is that I take a look at the league table and have a little chuckle.It would be a momentous achievement for West Ham to finish in the top four but if we don’t we’re miles from where we normally are so I’m enjoying it while it lasts.
  • That's a great point Slacker and so very true....... but I'm still cheesed off :( probably spoilt from our great earlier form
  • edited February 2022

Slacker said:

I can't speak for you Horsham, but as in my post, to take three points at home against a weakened lower end of the table side. This would enable us to continue the momentum of last season.
  • Slacker said:

I don't remember him ever saying this. He's said he wants to finish as high as possible, wants to be a nuisance to the big teams, wants to be fighting towards the top of the table.

Can't remember Moyes ever coming out and saying West Ham are aiming for top four.
  • edited February 2022

Slacker said:

I don't remember him ever saying this. He's said he wants to finish as high as possible, wants to be a nuisance to the big teams, wants to be fighting towards the top of the table.

Can't remember Moyes ever coming out and saying West Ham are aiming for top four.

But I think we can play better, there is more to come and players who can step up again. I want to challenge the top four. We finished two points outside last season... that is a good target to give the players.”

This is what Moyes said in November. To want to challenge the top four is to aspire to be top four, IMO.
  • https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/west-ham-press-conference-live-23151773

Some dubious comments. Moyes doesn't think the players are fatigued or that the squad is too small.
  • https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/west-ham-press-conference-live-23151773

Some dubious comments. Moyes doesn't think the players are fatigued or that the squad is too small.

He's a fool imo
  • Hamstew said:

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/west-ham-press-conference-live-23151773

He's a fool imo
    Stubborn. I don't think he wants to accept that he and his bosses dropped the ball massively.
  • I kind of agree with him. If they can’t play once a week, which they have been for the las5 few weeks, then they’re in the wrong job.