Zouma

Comments

• It is amazing how many people who have had their own misdemeanors are jumping on the bandwagon and using it to get their profile raised IMO.
    Also why are so many people criticising when they have gone out of their way to watch the video? When I read what it contained I did not want to watch it. Nowt so strange as people
  • edited February 2022
    MrsGrey said:

I can understand Adidas's withdrawal of Zouma's personal sponsorship, but what is the justification for the club's sponsorship?
    The club has fined him the maximum amount, what more is expected?
    What has happened to the idea of forgiveness and redemption?

Welcome to Corporation Cancel Culture.

I think because the club played him against Watford. That's the only thing that the club can be held responsible for.
    Employer expects employee to turn up and do the job they are paid for.

Shock horror.

I was simply explaining why I think sponsors have taken the action they have. The club can't be held responsible for Zouma kicking the cat, but can be held responsible for the decision to play him the day after the video was released, which some sponsors seems to have taken as either condoning or downplaying the act.

West Ham had every right to play Zouma. There was no legal reason not to. Their choice.

Sponsors have every right to not agree with him playing and disassociate with the club. Their choice.

No-one's right or wrong here (other than Zouma, obvs). The club made a decision to play him; some sponsors have decided they don't think that was the right thing to do. Both perfectly entitled to their respective opinions and actions.

Personally I think there's a great deal of hypocrisy across the board with the reaction to what Zouma did, and for a company that promotes Seaworld to preach about animal cruelty is pretty rich, IMO.
  • edited February 2022
    The publicity can only be a good thing as it sends the message that there is a large part of society that will re-act against someone who is caught abusing an animal.

There will always be animal abuse as there will always be abuse against each other, there are also much worse examples of it than what Zouma has done, but when there is an outcry it does send the message that many people care and will raise a voice for the animal that can't.

• OCS, my comment wasn't really directed AT you, more a response to the companies' stance :+1:
  • MrsGrey said:

OCS, my comment wasn't really directed AT you, more a response to the companies' stance :+1:

Roger that 👍
  • Regarding suspensions, there was this interesting piece about Mason Greenwood not long ago. Lawyers had different opinions about whether he could be suspended for more than 2 weeks. https://theathletic.com/3109291/2022/02/06/can-manchester-united-sack-mason-greenwood/

You'd suspect it might be trickier with Zouma, though I guess he has admitted it so maybe that changes the situation as well.
  • Article only available to subscribers :-(
  • alderz said:

I think the justice system that we have in almost every society is pretty poor. Social repercussions, imo, are just as valid as those from authority. If someone is fired or ostracised socially for actions that have a low investigation and/or conviction rate, I’m ok with that.

IronHerb said:

Ah, the lynch mob.

Sounds too much like trial by twitter to me.

MrsGrey said:

This makes me uneasy.
    Unless the society doing the ostracizing has got all their facts straight and aren't bringing bigotry and prejudice into the equation, it can get quite nasty.

Better to make our justice system better imo.

I understand what you're all saying, and I don't necessarily disagree. I'm aware this is a tricky thing to discuss, and I'm not entirely sure where my come down on this, and how to word my views.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I was filmed beating my dogs, and my employer sacked me, and my friends didn't want to associate with me, I think that's sort of ok. Same as if I knew someone who was overtly racist or homophobic or sexist, I would be happy to cut them out of my life. There may or may not be a criminal prosecution of a person, but whether there is or isn't that doesn't mean that I as an individual can't change my view of that person.

I feel like when someone breaches broadly accepted social standards, they do so at the risk of various negative consequences - be they criminal prosecution, termination of employment, loss of social standing, etc.
  • While, in other news:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60325643

Sense of perspective needed, I think.

It’s ok Liz Truss is over in Moscow sorting it out.
    I’m sure we can sleep easier in our beds now.

• Clearly there is no formal obligation to suspend Zouma but I nonetheless find it astonishing that the club did not decide that it would be the prudent thing to do.

Immediately after the video was released, it must have registered that there would need to be a plan of action as to an appropriate response, you can call it damage limitation or an old fashioned threat analysis. It must have been clear that there would likely be a backlash and no-one would have had clear sight on what impact that would have on the upcoming game, the fans attending, the other players and the club’s sponsors.

Zouma is solely responsible and is accountable for his actions but i feel the club tripped up in not being proactive in their immediate response.

That decision apart, I feel comfortable with the subsequent actions of the club which appear appropriate to me.
  • Are we selling more pork in China now?
  • Alderz it’s easy for you to say what you have when it’s not you but would you really be ok if you were sacked. If that happened you would be highly unlikely to receive any kind of satisfactory reference going forward and it could have a damaging effect on your life for the future.
    You might say Zouma deserves to have this happen but if it was an isolated incident and we still don’t know what prompted it and I doubt it was done as a joke. Maybe the investigation will throw some light on it.
  • I actually think the club were quite proactive in punishing him. The argument should be wether or not the punishment they gave him was correct. Again, we may think he should of been banned, but the club reacted quite quickly IMO, even if I may disagree with the nature of the punishment.
  • Has he been suspended from playing since Watford?
  • Alderz it’s easy for you to say what you have when it’s not you but would you really be ok if you were sacked. If that happened you would be highly unlikely to receive any kind of satisfactory reference going forward and it could have a damaging effect on your life for the future.
    You might say Zouma deserves to have this happen but if it was an isolated incident and we still don’t know what prompted it and I doubt it was done as a joke. Maybe the investigation will throw some light on it.

Honestly, I think that’s a risk people take when they do things that are societally unacceptable. “Would I be ok” no I wouldn’t be thrilled about it, but also I have no intention of doing something abusive.
  • Glad to hear it. No doubt neither did Zouma when he got up that morning.
  • edited February 2022

Glad to hear it. No doubt neither did Zouma when he got up that morning.

And yet he's kicked his pet across the room and I never have.
  • Glad to hear it. No doubt neither did Zouma when he got up that morning.

Just don't get that school of thought...
    We all have bad days, where we may feel down, unwanted, not good enough etc etc..me included...

I've never once thought about abusing one of my 3 cats....

Kicking them, slapping them, chasing after them to scare them or throwing objects at them that could hurt them... and laughing while it's going down.

Capable of what he done could just be the start of worse things to follow ( not saying it is in his case ) but didn't many serial killers start by hurting/killing animals?

Sorry Thorn, but that comment does not sit well with me or an excuse to do what he did.
  • To be fair, when Nobes missed that penalty in the last minute, I would have hoped that any cat I have would have actively practiced social distancing.
  • 8 pages on Zouma kicking his cat, 2 pages on Mason Green assaulting his girlfriend (allegedly, although those cuts and bruises came from somewhere). Just saying.
  • Greenwood plays for Man U, was suspended by his club and was in police custody. So apart from that there was not a lot to say.
  • I see his brother has been dropped by Dagenham!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60339439
  • Jay you’re totally missing my point. The way the media social media and some on here are reporting suggests it was totally premeditated just for a laugh which I doubt very much
  • edited February 2022

I see his brother has been dropped by Dagenham!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60339439

Maybe easier for them as he has only played about half a dozen games all season? West Ham being made scapegoats again. Punish the player not the club or the fans!
  • Jay you’re totally missing my point. The way the media social media and some on here are reporting suggests it was totally premeditated just for a laugh which I doubt very much

I don’t care if it was premeditated or not. The fact he ever thought it was ok is my problem. My dogs stole some chocolate and made a huge mess in my kitchen last week. I was furious. I didn’t hit them though, or kick them. Because I love them and they trust me and I don’t think that’s ok.
  • edited February 2022

Jay you’re totally missing my point. The way the media social media and some on here are reporting suggests it was totally premeditated just for a laugh which I doubt very much

The simple fact he did it … isn’t that disturbing enough???..
    Who cares if it was planned???
    Sorry you might doubt it was planned, but Thorn, would you ever do such a thing?
    Only he and his smart brother will know…
    But hey his brother had planned to capture it on video, it wasn’t like half way through it happening, so It was planned, to at least capture it all on video, while they having a good laugh…
    Great guy…
  • edited February 2022
    A footballer showing no common sense…….another shock! 😢⚒
  • edited February 2022
    Do I think Zouma is a vile, sadistic & sick human being? No. What this is is a massive misjudgment by him in trying to create a scene that they thought, in the context of the moment, was funny & entertaining to their audience. The fact it was filmed & initially uploaded onto social media shows that this was done as a form of entertainment to be shown to their followers. This is the ‘tik-tok’ way of living. They at no point clicked that this was actually incredibly cruel & disgusting. The evidence of that is that the brother posted it & landed both of them in it. It’s almost like one of those ‘You’ve Been Framed’ style videos narrated by Harry Hill.

Both have massively misjudged the situation. I believe it was done for comedic effect but they got it massively wrong & misjudged the fact that most humans would deem that as sick & disgusting & not humorous. Do I believe Zouma is an evil human? No. He should pay for this mistake & he cannot argue about it. Same for his brother.

I do find it hard to feel this should define him as a human, though. His record as a character so far has been flawless & he is a well liked member of the squad & previous squads he had been apart of. This was a moment of idiotic & childish misjudgment that manifested in an act of cruelty & he will now pay the price for that.

The simple fact he did it … isn’t that disturbing enough???..
    Who cares if it was planned???
    Sorry you might doubt it was planned, but Thorn, would you ever do such a thing?
    Only he and his smart brother will know…
    But hey his brother had planned to capture it on video, it wasn’t like half way through it happening, so It was planned, to at least capture it all on video, while they having a good laugh…
    Great guy…
    And just what does this say to his kids - Oh WOW look what daddy did, must be a good thing to kick a cat
  • We'll kids clearly know it's not a good thing, because the cats have been taken away?