Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Nobody competes on 4 fronts except Man City and maybe Chelsea. Even Liverpool have been sacrificing at least one cup competition each season.
  • We need a squad capable of competing on the two main fronts let alone the other 2 domestic cups. Ideally it would be nice to have cover for LB & CDM but having no CF option well…..☹️
  • I think we’ll sign Lingard or another forward - either CF or winger. And that will probably be it.

Recent windows under Moyes have been about quality rather than quantity, and it’s working like a charm at the moment.
  • Zouma's medical is complete, according to Ex, but Sullivan wants it scrutinised by doctors in the UK to make sure everything is ok.

The reason given is that Zouma will become the highest paid player at the club so Sullivan wants to be absolutely certain that he's not made of breadsticks.

Apparently all player salaries will be reviewed next year because of this, so we can probably expect new contracts for key players being offered next summer.
  • Zouma's medical is complete, according to Ex, but Sullivan wants it scrutinised by doctors in the UK to make sure everything is ok.

The reason given is that Zouma will become the highest paid player at the club so Sullivan wants to be absolutely certain that he's not made of breadsticks.

Apparently all player salaries will be reviewed next year because of this, so we can probably expect new contracts for key players being offered next summer.

Well that won’t work as he’s not allowed back in the UK is he until after the deadline?
  • So that is just a year for our key players to get disheartened over Zouma’s massive salary. The pressure is on him, he better be worthy of such a large amount of money. I really hope there are more incomings before the 31st. 🙏
  • Lukerz said:

Zouma's medical is complete, according to Ex, but Sullivan wants it scrutinised by doctors in the UK to make sure everything is ok.

Well that won’t work as he’s not allowed back in the UK is he until after the deadline?
    The medical report will be scrutinised, rather than Zouma. So assuming Sullivan's doctors are happy, he'll sign the contract.

I guess they're couriering a shirt to him as I type for the announcement photos.

Or something will be found in the report and Caleta-Car will be shipped in for his medical.
  • edited August 2021
    I really don’t think that giving Zouma any particular salary is going to completely ruin team spirit like some are suggesting (particularly on social media). Yarmolenko is allegedly on £120k per week and the team spirit doesn’t seem to be affected by that at all.
  • alderz, I hope you are right but Yarmolenko was already at the club for what it's worth before Soucek & Coufal for example joined us. Zouma is the new kid on the block and is supposedly coming in a big wage increase from CFC. It's as if he doesn't really want to come so we have upped his salary to convince him, couldn't we have done for a lot of other targets?
  • Fortune, haven’t you spent the entire transfer window berating the club for not signing players?
  • The other thing to remember is that salary is not simply a figure denoting value or appreciation. I don't know this of course but I imagine when Anderson went back to Lazio he will be on a salary far more than they would have wanted to pay but they factored in the bargain fee. The reaction to Zouma leaving from most Chelsea fans is that we have got a bargain regard the fee, perhaps he was worth 5m more than we paid in our view so we have factored that into his wages to get the deal done. There are so many things to consider. I do agree 120k plus does sound excessive in my view but If Moyes thinks he is worth 40m then getting him for 26m is a bargain. If you took 40k per week off of his wages that's 2m per year, so if we paid 36m and 80k wages it doesn't sound so bad.

Ultimately let's see if he is worth the fee and the wages. I am hopeful but after the two big purchases of Anderson and Yarmalenko didn't work out I can see why the club would be worried.
  • will wait until window closes before I rant or praise
  • I feel like Yarmolenko's the type of player who will move on deadline day.

To Shaktar

To Shaktar
    I’m pretty sure he’s Kiev through and through! That’d be as much a betrayal as, idk, Ronaldo joining Man City
  • edited August 2021
    Re. Zouma, is it still the case that a player may get a percentage of any transfer fee?

Therefore, if the fee is lower, his cut would be lower, with the difference being added to his salary, Just hoping he won’t upset things.🤞😀 ⚒
  • Fortune, haven’t you spent the entire transfer window berating the club for not signing players?

Yes I must certainly have & I have no regrets in doing so. So far we have brought in a GK & CH, one who is on a massive salary if reports are to be believed, when we needed strengthening in other areas but that is just my opinion.

Yes I must certainly have & I have no regrets in doing so. So far we have brought in a GK & CH, one who is on a massive salary if reports are to be believed, when we needed strengthening in other areas but that is just my opinion.
    Fixed it for you...

Zouma isn't holding the shirt yet so I wouldn't rule out a last-minute collapse.
  • Pengeman said:

This website https://www.spotrac.com/epl/chelsea-fc/payroll/ says that at Chelsea Zouma was on £46k. so I can't see WHU giving him £125k.

On that same site, it gives Rices salary as £3k pw. Is that correct? If so, that's just crazy.
  • Pengeman said:

This website https://www.spotrac.com/epl/chelsea-fc/payroll/ says that at Chelsea Zouma was on £46k. so I can't see WHU giving him £125k.

On that same site, it gives Rices salary as £3k pw. Is that correct? If so, that's just crazy.
    I think he's on 30k
  • He was on 3K when he broke into the team then he signed a new contract taking him up to £30k I think.

I used to think CB wasn't such a priority for us but after Dawson's last two performances I changed my last mind. His patch of excellent form is over and he's got weaknesses that could cost us.
  • When Rice contract was announced I'm sure that there were contract bonuses that doubled his weekly wage, think it's was something like £20k for every start over his basic

Think its 'worth' about £60k/65k per week

And by all accounts he's rejected an offer to make him the highest paid player at the club
  • Outcast, I thought Dawson was tailing off towards the end of last season. Improving the defence makes sense I agree but I hope it doesn't mean we can't make the additions to cover in other areas of the team.
  • When Rice contract was announced I'm sure that there were contract bonuses that doubled his weekly wage, think it's was something like £20k for every start over his basic

Would be interesting to know whether this is the case. For someone that's pretty much guaranteed a start, that's not a bad deal.

But presumably during the close-season he 'only' gets paid £30k p/w?
  • I think CB was the key area. Oggy is 33/34, Diop & Dawson have both struggled to nail down starting spots (albeit I think Diop had had limited chance & been a bit unlucky). We need somebody to play with Oggy & then hopefully, longer term, Zouma - Diop can be the longer term pairing.
  • Outcast, I thought Dawson was tailing off towards the end of last season. Improving the defence makes sense I agree but I hope it doesn't mean we can't make the additions to cover in other areas of the team.

I agree with that. I think he was best in his initial partnership with Ogbonna and it started to break down after his injury. He’s better when he can throw himself at blocking balls. Given how important our defence has been to how Moyes has set us up, CB is a really key position and has overtaken LB for me. There are lots of areas we need cover in but we actually needed a first team player there. I think we can still get a striker.
  • The Independent claims Man Utd may explore a late deal for Declan Rice. I can’t see us selling him now, with only Noble & Lanzini as back up & a few days until the deadline.
  • Lukerz said:

The Independent claims Man Utd may explore a late deal for Declan Rice. I can’t see us selling him now, with only Noble & Lanzini as back up & a few days until the deadline.

Is this their way of letting us get Lingard, I wonder? Obviously won't work as Lingard will only come to us if we show that we have real ambition. Selling Rice would definitely indicate otherwise.
  • Lukerz said:

The Independent claims Man Utd may explore a late deal for Declan Rice. I can’t see us selling him now, with only Noble & Lanzini as back up & a few days until the deadline.

Tbh this would be the perfect scenario for Sullivan, get the cash in but give Moyes no time to spend any of it. Let's just hope Moyes has some veto with outgoings as well as purchases.
This discussion has been closed.