Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• I know a lot of people enjoy making the jokes about him being a prospect, but he is a adult now who's 28, he needs to make this call himself....with a year left on his contract he holds the cards

If he thinks he can force his way back in then fair enough, but I really doubt it and I think it would be pretty naive of him to think that (even without Sancho I can't see where he plays)

If he doesn't then he should force a move to us, it's that simple

The truth is, I would love for us to sign Lingard permanently, but not for 1 second do I think we'll see the form he showed in those first 3 months again, he's had his purple patch already

Hes a good player, but one who is set up for counter attacking and I think the last 4 or 5 games showed the level he is probably at in reality

If we sign him great, but I'm not going to cry if we dont, there are plenty of attackers out there who are younger, just as good (if not better) and potentially cheaper
  • If we sign him great, but I'm not going to cry if we dont, there are plenty of attackers out there who are younger, just as good (if not better) and potentially cheaper

I do agree with this, but there is always a risk when new players come in that they don't blend into the squad well, which will have a big impact. Signing Lingard is a much smaller risk for the balance of the squad and the atmosphere at the club, as he's been here for 5 months.
  • If he goes back to United then he'll be back out on loan at Christmas
  • I often look on oddschecker to get a bookmakers view of whats happening. Unlike journalists from the sports pages the bookmakers are risking money on their predictions, there are some interesting observations at this point.

The bookies change their odds depending on what bets are made, the odds shorten as more money comes in or they lengthen if money isn't coming in

All that means is that more money has been placed on Tarkowski to Leicester than on Tarkowski to West Ham, etc.

As I said earlier with Fabianski, Randolph and Martin all with contracts until the end of next season I don't think we'll be signing Johnstone
  • It's obviously his shout, but, imo, he's being extremely naive if he thinks he's going to get significant game-time at Man Utd next season.
  • But if he didn't believe in himself who would?
  • STEVENAGE SIGN ANANG

Stevenage have signed goalkeeper Joseph Anang on a season-long loan deal from West Ham.

The 21-year-old is an England Under-20 international and first-choice stopper for the Hammers’ Under-23 side.
  • Picking up on what buffy & OCS have said on the Newcastle thread I cannot fathom why we wouldn’t proactively try and sign new players much sooner than very late as didn’t DM say he wanted to get his reinforcements in early so he can get them integrated into the team. Remember he was given assurances that GSB have the same ideals going forward which must mean no more bargain boot purchases unless they are really are too good to ignore. 😉
  • Remember he was given assurances that GSB have the same ideals going forward which must mean no more bargain boot purchases unless they are really are too good to ignore. 😉

Remember all the promises G&S have spouted to us over the years? I trust them as far as I can throw them.
  • Picking up on what buffy & OCS have said on the Newcastle thread I cannot fathom why we wouldn’t proactively try and sign new players much sooner than very late as didn’t DM say he wanted to get his reinforcements in early so he can get them integrated into the team. Remember he was given assurances that GSB have the same ideals going forward which must mean no more bargain boot purchases unless they are really are too good to ignore. 😉

And I don't understand why some people don't realise its not so easy getting everything done early, because if it was....everyone would do it
  • Yeah, you can’t order players on Amazon for next day delivery. There’s been about 2 premier league signings so far.

I’d rather we sign the right players than the most readily available, even if it means playing 2 or 3 games without them.
  • I still reckon they leave it late so as to save a couple months of wages.
  • Can I just clarify a few points. 👍. Do you reckon DM is going to fall for false promises from GSB, if so he isn’t the type of manager he professes to be.
    There is doing deals early, the window opened on the 9th, and doing the complete opposite and waiting until the season has started and watching whilst several of your targets move elsewhere. The Euros will be a good shop window for some but I expect many of the Premier League clubs will get into gear as soon as they can & won’t be waiting until two months after the window has opened to be making their major signings.
  • FWIW, I've just looked at all our signings since the 2010/11 season and compared it with our season start date. If we look at just first team signings that came in the summer window, we've made 86 since 2010.

59 of them were before any league games took place, 27 of them games had been played. In 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 all our signings were complete before the season started.

In 2020/21, three (Coufal, Dawson, Benrahma) of our signings came after the league had begun and one was before (Soucek).

This chart shows the numbers of signings before and after games were played.

Maybe the reputation of us always doing business late is a bit unfair? (I know that the last couple of seasons had a transfer window that closed before the season, but still)

• alderz said:

FWIW, I've just looked at all our signings since the 2010/11 season and compared it with our season start date. If we look at just first team signings that came in the summer window, we've made 86 since 2010.

59 of them were before any league games took place, 27 of them games had been played. In 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 all our signings were complete before the season started.

In 2020/21, three (Coufal, Dawson, Benrahma) of our signings came after the league had begun and one was before (Soucek).

This chart shows the numbers of signings before and after games were played.

Maybe the reputation of us always doing business late is a bit unfair? (I know that the last couple of seasons had a transfer window that closed before the season, but still)

#statattack
  • Needing the bowdown emoji!
  • And a bit of John Carewing

And I don't understand why some people don't realise its not so easy getting everything done early, because if it was....everyone would do it
    I think the frustration is, and it's something I've mentioned before, that we've needed a striker since January. The hope, perhaps misplaced, was that the club would have been working hard in the six months between then and now to get a deal in place for the start of the window in accordance with Moyes' wishes. Liverpool have done just that; the injury to VVD showed that they needed a new CB and they got Konate lined up and the deal has been done.

Now I know that not many clubs have made first-team signings, but personally I think that it's a risk to leave it until after the season starts, particularly as we have a couple of big holes in the squad and are potentially a (likely) Antonio injury away from Yarmolenko starting up front against Newcastle.
  • Yarmolenko wont start up front vs newcastle as he will be in Turkey
  • alderz said:

According to that graphic, every season except 3 we've signed at least 2 players after the season has started, and you reckon in a couple of those years the window had already shut by then (I thought it might only have been 1 year that the window sensibly shut before the season started). So imo, it's not a stretch at all to say that G&S have form for bringing in players after we need them.

• alderz said:

According to that graphic, every season except 3 we've signed at least 2 players after the season has started, and you reckon in a couple of those years the window had already shut by then (I thought it might only have been 1 year that the window sensibly shut before the season started). So imo, it's not a stretch at all to say that G&S have form for bringing in players after we need them.

I think it’s unrealistic to expect ALL signings to be made before the season starts, personally.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57499915

Has Arnie killed his prospects? Would any PL club be willing to take a chance on him now?

I think the frustration is, and it's something I've mentioned before, that we've needed a striker since January. The hope, perhaps misplaced, was that the club would have been working hard in the six months between then and now to get a deal in place for the start of the window in accordance with Moyes' wishes. Liverpool have done just that; the injury to VVD showed that they needed a new CB and they got Konate lined up and the deal has been done.

Now I know that not many clubs have made first-team signings, but personally I think that it's a risk to leave it until after the season starts, particularly as we have a couple of big holes in the squad and are potentially a (likely) Antonio injury away from Yarmolenko starting up front against Newcastle.
    But the season hasn't started so why start moaning about it? It's a moot point for now

If come the first game we have made zero signings then yea go off on one, but for now there is no indication we won't get our business done in good time nor do we have a list of targets for a striker and other positions

The grand total of signings made by Prem clubs is Buendia & Konate....that's literally it acorss the entire league and the only reason Liverpool got Konate so quick was because he had a release clause
  • MIAHammer said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57499915

Has Arnie killed his prospects? Would any PL club be willing to take a chance on him now?

Hopefully, never want him near the club again

But the season hasn't started so why start moaning about it? It's a moot point for now

If come the first game we have made zero signings then yea go off on one, but for now there is no indication we won't get our business done in good time nor do we have a list of targets for a striker and other positions

The grand total of signings made by Prem clubs is Buendia & Konate....that's literally it acorss the entire league and the only reason Liverpool got Konate so quick was because he had a release clause
    I'm not moaning. I'm stating opinions. Which is allowed on here.

I get you're happy to wait. Plenty of others will be too. Some, myself included, are frustrated that we don't appear to have anything close, which given how light the squad is, is a bit concerning.

There's no need to imply people are 'going off on one' just because they don't agree with your view.
  • I kind of like that we’re a bit quiet on the transfer front.
    I prefer it to be like this and then announce player X (or Y) has signed.
  • It’s pretty rare to sign anyone during the major tournaments anyway. Most won’t be around to talk contracts, especially with Copa America going on as well.
  • Outcast, so on that basis we will be signing Messi & Lukaku when they return from playing for their countries. 😁
  • Outcast, so on that basis we will be signing Messi & Lukaku when they return from playing for their countries. 😁

Well Messi has been house hunting in Chigwell.

This discussion has been closed.