Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• IronHerb said:

That's right but just quoting stats doesn't show that he would necessarily achieve those elsewhere.
    I'm not saying he's no good but at £80m he's overpriced.

But what are you using as your baseline to say he's overpriced?

He's a 21 year old with 19 international caps, more than 100 games in the Bundesliga, more than 20 games in European competitions, with a record of one better than 1 goal every 3 games, and 60 assists in his last three seasons.

We argue that Rice should be worth at least the same amount as that, and he has similar experience to Sancho. When you add on the fact that he's an attacking player and they always go for more, I can't see why £80m is overpriced (apart from the obvious argument that that is a disgusting, eye watering amount of money and the game is absolutely gone if those are the amounts clubs are paying for players).
  • ASLEF, Didn't he play in the same team with Rebic & Jovic?
  • Sancho's been performing for so long, I didn't realise he's a few months younger than Foden.
  • alderz said:

He’s 21. His numbers are incredible.

The only reason people don’t rate him is because they don’t watch him very often.

EDIT: it’s not on the graphic, but in 2018/19 he had 13 goals and 20 assists in 43 games.

That’s 60 assists and 49 goals in 125 games.

AND... He's starting to look like his replacement. Our Jesse lad ;)
  • I mean you could also argue that as a Man Utd signing he is actually a snip at £80m - the club that paid £90m for Pogba and £70m for Maguire 😂
  • Also, considering his numbers are close to the previous season, (alongside the already mentioned games he missed this season) there was talk at the start of the season that he was suffering a hangover from the failed Man Utd TF So he must've got that out of his system soon after with those numbers posted.

At his age, with those numbers, games under belt already, relative maturity in decision making etc (plus the potential to get comfortably better) there aren't many around his age that can be considered or deserve to be in a higher price bracket
  • Sancho plays alongside Haaland!
  • ASLEF, Didn't he play in the same team with Rebic & Jovic?

He most certainly did
    IronHerb said:

Sancho plays alongside Haaland!

He does, as a winger or attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 with Haaland up top
  • There were a few penalties in sancho’s tally of this season, and of his goals 8 came in the league
  • Sancho scored three penalties last season

14 Sep Duisburg in the Pokal
    28 Oct Zenit St Petersburg in the Champions League
    27 Feb Arminia Bielefeld in the Bundesliga

Before that he'd not taken a penalty since 2017

Also scored from a direct free kick against Club Brugge in the CL
  • I'm surprised people don't find Sancho's stats impressive, given he's 21. If Foden was posting those numbers, he'd be better than Messi.
  • I’ll just leave this here

League season 20-21 - appearances and outfield goals

Sancho Apps 24 (+2) Goals 7
    Dawson Apps 22 Goals 3

I mean there’s not a lot in it…
  • I'm surprised people don't find Sancho's stats impressive, given he's 21. If Foden was posting those numbers, he'd be better than Messi.

Who's said that?
  • IronHerb said:

Sancho plays alongside Haaland!

Or Haaland plays alongside Sancho ;)
  • IronHerb said:

I'm surprised people don't find Sancho's stats impressive, given he's 21. If Foden was posting those numbers, he'd be better than Messi.

Who's said that?
    I mean, you maybe haven't used those exact words, but "what a waste of money" and "overpriced" don't immediately scream "I'm impressed"
  • Tbf I think the Budnesliga is a league that favours attackers

Its not just Haller, big money players like Dembele, Havertz, Werner, Jovic, Mkhatarayan, Pulisic, Keita, Draxler, Joelington haven't done nearly as well since they left the league (Havertz/Pulisic are very good but Havertz got 17 goals last year in Germany)

Off the top of my head, de Bruyne is the only big money signing that has turned out as good in the Prem as he was in the Bundesliga and arguably Aubameyang but even he hasn't been quite as good as he was for Dortmund

Style of play definately makes an impact but you see that pretty much all of the top 15 most expensive transfers have been less than impressive (save KDB/Aubameyang) then you have to start raising questions

For the record, I think Sancho is worth £80mil and is a terrific player, just I can't see him getting close to his bundesliga stats playing in the Prem

If he got double figures for goals and assists I'd be more than impressed
  • Ex on West Ham Way podcast has linked is with three centre backs

James Tarkowski
    Duje Caleta-Car, Marseille, 24, 14 caps for Croatia, available for £13m (Atlantic)
    Nikola Maksimovic, Napoli, 29, 25 caps for Serbia, has rejected a new contract, will be available on a free but could go to Inter (Gazzeta)

Calcio Mercato reckons we've got a better chance of signing Junior Firpo from Barcelona because we want a transfer (£18m) and AC Milan want a loan deal

Foden IS better than Messi...
  • Tournament transfer, Embolo looks like he could be a good understudy for Antonio, same kind of build and play, probably lacks a bit of pace in comparison to Antonio.
  • Breel Embolo, 24, signed a 4 year contract with Borussia Mönchengladbach in 2019, 6 goals in 41 games last season (only 21 starts)
  • Tournament transfer, Embolo looks like he could be a good understudy for Antonio, same kind of build and play, probably lacks a bit of pace in comparison to Antonio.

I just knew someone would say that! =)
    Didn’t take long!

• The Sun claiming that Lingard has told Solskjaer that he wants to stay at Man U
  • edited June 2021
    Southampton and West Ham are the latest Premier League clubs to be linked with Boavista forward Alberth Elis, with Brighton and Watford previously showing interest in the 25-year-old Honduras international. (A Bola - in Portuguese)

West Ham, Southampton and AC Milan are in contention to sign 24-year-old Dominican defender Junior Firpo from Barcelona, with the Catalan club inclined to sell to a Premier League side rather than take Milan up on a loan deal with an option to buy. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

England midfielder Jesse Lingard, 28, has told Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer that he wants to remain with the Red Devils after a successful loan spell at West Ham last season. (Sun)

• Southampton and West Ham are the latest Premier League clubs to be linked with Boavista forward Alberth Elis, with Brighton and Watford previously showing interest in the 25-year-old Honduras international. (A Bola - in Portuguese)

Ah, an early shout for Sullivan's South American striker punt.

Ok, Honduras isn't exactly South America, but the joke doesn't work otherwise.
  • Not sure it worked anyway. 🤔
  • The Sun claiming that Lingard has told Solskjaer that he wants to stay at Man U

I took the bait and read the article in the Sun ( I feel a bit dirty now), there’s absolutely nothing in it attributed to Lingard just “
    He has told friends “ type nonsense, surprise surprise.

• It’s appeared in several publications that he’s told solskjar that he wants to remain at Man U but has also said he’s not averse to staying with West Ham if he’s not in Utd’s plans.
  • It’s appeared in several publications that he’s told solskjar that he wants to remain at Man U but has also said he’s not averse to staying with West Ham if he’s not in Utd’s plans.

Ah, the classic "covering all bases" journalism approach. Can't be wrong if you say everything is a possibility.

Let's be honest, Lingard is a Man Utd fan, who has always played for Man Utd, who wants to always play for Man Utd. If Solskjaer says to him "you will play a lot of football next season" then he'll want to stay there. If Solskjaer says "you'll be a squad player, but Bruno is going to play most games" then he'll want to come back to West Ham and play football. It's not rocket science, really.
  • You’ve covered all your bases well there, Alderz
  • Slacker said:

The Sun claiming that Lingard has told Solskjaer that he wants to stay at Man U

I took the bait and read the article in the Sun

You have the thanks of a grateful (and fastidious) forum.
This discussion has been closed.