Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Cuz, I should have said I don't know who you're referring to.
  • Real Betis are in advanced talks with Paraguay defender Fabian Balbuena, 29, who is set to come out of contract at West Ham. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)
  • Despite the talk that Moyes wanted to get business done early, I don't think we'll get anyone in pre-Euros.

Could be a risk if our targets have a good tournament and see a 50% increase in their value, but the cynic in me wonders if that's what Sullivan wants so he can say other clubs have priced us out of any deals.

We've seen reports (and I know it's rumour and conjecture) that Spartak already want £5m more than their original value for Kral, which is why we've backed off from that one, and WBA want £20m for Johnstone, which given he's now an England international will only add to the price, so waiting is something of a risk.

As of yesterday's rumour mill, Moyes' top two targets up front are Abraham and Sima; neither of which are going to the Euros, so it'll be interesting to see if either of them come in early. Again, I suspect not, but given it's our priority I would like to think that deals have been discussed for a while now.

The window officially opens on Wednesday, so hopefully Sullivan will have a nice surprise for us by the end of the week.
  • Despite the talk that Moyes wanted to get business done early, I don't think we'll get anyone in pre-Euros.

The first thing to do to get business done early is to sign your own contract. The club won't spend money on Moyes recommendations not knowing if he is going to be there himself.
  • I reckon Moyes is in talks with a few other clubs, otherwise i think he would have signed a contract already. I imagine he might be trying to use his contract negotiations as leverage to get something out of Gold and Sullivan whether that be a bigger transfer budget or some sort guarantee.

• IronHerb said:

Despite the talk that Moyes wanted to get business done early, I don't think we'll get anyone in pre-Euros.

The first thing to do to get business done early is to sign your own contract. The club won't spend money on Moyes recommendations not knowing if he is going to be there himself.
    It's a good point Herbie. I've read that Moyes is on holiday, which is why he hasn't physically signed anything, but in this day and age, you don't need to be in an office to sign anything.

The talk seems to be that he's verbally agreed to the deal, but as we know that holds no water. Ex said the deal would be completed by the end of last week, so the fact it's not does make you wonder.
  • OCS, a comment on your earlier post about our supposed 2 main targets not going to be in the Euros...

It might mean the negotiations aren't affected price wise,but who are the selling clubs after? Are those players at the Euros, because these deals are all part of a chain, and our business doesn't take place in a vacuum. If the selling club wants to hold off a sale until they have their target lined up, but the agent of the target is factoring in a euro performance into the negotiations, we'll have to wait until the competition is over to see any movement...
  • MrsGrey said:

OCS, a comment on your earlier post about our supposed 2 main targets not going to be in the Euros...

It might mean the negotiations aren't affected price wise,but who are the selling clubs after? Are those players at the Euros, because these deals are all part of a chain, and our business doesn't take place in a vacuum. If the selling club wants to hold off a sale until they have their target lined up, but the agent of the target is factoring in a euro performance into the negotiations, we'll have to wait until the competition is over to see any movement...

Again, good point. And it's not so much the waiting; if I had any confidence in our director of football and chief negotiator to have a deal lined up then I'd be ok, but because I have such little faith in him I would have no doubt in believing that we're no further forward in recruiting a striker than we were when we sold Haller in January.
  • The transfer window is even open yet :-) and as for Moyes not signing his contract he is on holiday the point of which is to get away from it all and rest up. I am sure he will sign it when he gets back. We seem to have been better recently at recruitment since Moyes returned so I am hopeful we will get the right business done . I am still sifting through all the daily gossip like most of us but i know most of it is agent stories and lazy journo's repeating hearsay lol
  • It’s also worth remembering that he does currently have a contract, so it’s not like he isn’t our manager at the moment.

The new contract is longer, and no doubt better, but he is still under contract. So I’m sure nobody is in a huge rush.
  • Cuz, I should have said I don't know who you're referring to.

Cuz, that wasn't meant as a joke, I really don't know who you were referring to.
  • Sky are reporting that we've now reached an agreement with Chelsea for Pierre Ekwah, a French 19-year-old midfielder and he'll be announced once the window is officially open.

So that's two new players for the U23s in place.
  • Sky are reporting that we've now reached an agreement with Chelsea for Pierre Ekwah, a French 19-year-old midfielder and he'll be announced once the window is officially open.

So that's two new players for the U23s in place.

WEST HAM AGREE DEAL FOR CHELSEA STARLET

Sky Sports can exclusively reveal West Ham have reached agreement with Chelsea for the signature of 19-year-old midfield starlet Pierre Ekwah.

The French youth international was bought by Chelsea in 2018 for £1.8m from Nantes.

His transfer to the London Stadium is set to be announced once the official 2021 summer transfer window opens on Wednesday.
  • We do this all the time (buy this sort of player) but have any of them ever threatened regular first team participation in recent memory. We sell our only recognised first team forward to raise funds to then spend in this way?
  • We do this all the time (buy this sort of player) but have any of them ever threatened regular first team participation in recent memory. We sell our only recognised first team forward to raise funds to then spend in this way?

Tbf I think every team does these types of deal (as shown buy Chelsea buying him in the first place)

We aren't alone here, and they are all pretty low risk deals and from an accounting perspective are pretty easy to write off (a £1mil deal over 3 years for example isn't even worth having)

They only need to come out right once or twice for them to be worth it
  • I mean, Chelsea never let youngsters go who go on to be stars do they? 😬
  • IronHerb said:

I mean, Chelsea never let youngsters go who go on to be stars do they? 😬

For every Declan Rice there are probably a dozen Frank Noubles.

Hope the lad does well, but our recent history of buying youngsters hasn't been great. Xande Silva, Haksabanovic, Cardoso, Martinez, Holland; all talked up as future first teamers but none have made the grade.

But I guess that's the point of the U23s.
  • West Ham and Aston Villa are keen to sign Burnley striker Chris Wood, while Everton are monitoring the 29-year-old New Zealand international while they await the appointment of a new manager. (Mirror)

Meanwhile, West Ham have reached an agreement to sign 19-year-old French midfielder Pierre Ekwah from Chelsea. (Sky Sports)
  • This Ekeah guy played as a triallist for us at the end of last season
  • Did Ekeahs like (Corrie accent for those wondering)
  • Ex's transfer round-up:

We're interested in Kral, but we believe Spartak want too much for him.

Abraham is our No1 striker target, but we believe Chelsea want too much for him.

We're interested in Johnstone, but believe we West Brom want too much for him.

Think we can forget any early first-team deals.
  • edited June 2021
    In fact, he's saying that Moyes hasn't even given Sullivan his list of targets yet 🤔

• We'll leave it late to save on a couple of months wages.
  • Has any PL team made a signing yet? I'm sure they have, but can't remember who.

In any case, it's not very many. We're not alone.
  • Transfer window is officially open now
  • 20% of the PL teams haven't got managers at the moment so not easy to make signings. Players are away at the Euros, World Cup Qualifiers or on their holidays and, as usual, there's a lull before the storm.
  • Don't see any problem with not wanting to overpay for players
  • Bazshuayi said:

Did Ekeahs like (Corrie accent for those wondering)

Yes, I am quoting my own posting :)

I think it should actually read "Did he Ekeahs like" (Corrie accent for those wondering)

Now I am at peace AND this still tickles me when I hear the accent in my head (I havent seen Coronation Street for at least 15 years though so this could explain it)

Dont mind me...
  • edited June 2021

Has any PL team made a signing yet? I'm sure they have, but can't remember who.

In any case, it's not very many. We're not alone.

Liverpool have agreed a deal for Konate. Villa for Buendia. There are a few deals in place waiting, presumably, for the window to officially open.

Don't see any problem with not wanting to overpay for players

My point was more that Moyes was reported to want deals done early so the new players could get into pre-season training straight away. If we're not even at the negotiating stage with any of our targets then deals are likely to be a long way off.

The Euros will complicate things as all summer tournaments do. I'd be surprised if we got anyone before pre-season training starts (possibly Lingard).
  • Kral is listed in the BBC's 20 young players to watch at the Euros.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57352753
This discussion has been closed.