Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Yesterday the Guardian reported that Tuchel wants to cut the Chelsea squad so he can bring in some new players (Sevilla CB Jules Kounde is named) and they had accepted our £25m bid for Zouma but once again we don't want to pay Zouma's wage demands.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/16/chelsea-in-talks-to-sell-emerson-palmieri-to-lyon-as-tuchel-looks-to-cut-numbers
  • edited August 2021
    I'm assuming we all agree that just Antonio as our only striker is far from ideal. I'm sure we all would've liked at least one additional striker in way before. I'm cool with it if we get at least one in before the deadline despite the lateness of it. However, if we dont get one in at all then fair enough we will all be entitled to moan about it and wonder what the heck is going on with the clubs transfer business.

Bench vs Newcastle looked pretty sketchy

I'm also assuming we will bring in our full quota of loan deals too (maybe one saved for Jesse? Thats if we dont get him in permanently) for CB and anywhere else?

#It'll be Origi
    #Zouma (not Cahill or Jones!)
    #Lingard
    #surprise under the radar person(s)
  • Read Prestons post again -'If things couldn't get any worse, Antonio could be playing 8 games for Jamaica between now and the end of the year.'

I understand the issue around Antonio but from the post I read it as there are already major problems as in 'If things couldn't get any worse'. I don't see us in that kind of situation at this time.
  • edited August 2021
    IronHerb said:

Read Prestons post again -'If things couldn't get any worse, Antonio could be playing 8 games for Jamaica between now and the end of the year.'

I understand the issue around Antonio but from the post I read it as there are already major problems as in 'If things couldn't get any worse'. I don't see us in that kind of situation at this time.

We all see things differently ...

I saw it as:

So far our transfer window has been nothing short of VERY POOR (That IMO is actually being very polite ), a goalkeeper that we possibly didn't even need and a CB who was already with us, that's excluding a few U23's...and yes, I do know the window has not finished as stated before!

I read it simply as only re 'our transfer window', not looking back at West Ham over the past years etc...NOW and PRESENT, the lack of new striker since....Haller's departure, not good enough IMO, leaving an injury prone striker ( that's for you Jorderz ! ) who could be playing even more games...yippee!...

So while some people seem to have taken it as a longer view I only saw it as Worse as in our terrible window as yet...

I feel Alderz SLIGHTLY jumped the gun a bit on Preston's comments and was a little disrepectful, which from what I've noticed in the past is not like him at all, so perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my view and how I read the reply to Preston, other's have agreed with Alderz, but I do think it's logical and fair that all of us might see things or read into things a little differently...

Rant over.
  • I have no idea how it could be seen as disrespectful.
  • I’m happy for you Jorderz, like I said we all see or read things a little differently….
  • Milenkovic has signed an extension to his contract at Florentina
  • I read in an article yesterday that Moyes doesn't do strikers. His goals mainly come from midfielders and defenders, he scores lots but proper strikers don't seem to work for him.
    If I remember I will go and look for the article once I get home from work.
  • I'm still convinced we'll have an attacker by the end of the window, maybe not an out and out striker but I have no problem with that

I get everyone's frustration, but small squads can work

I mean Liverpool have been among the best teams in the world the last 4 years, and you could argue for 3 of those years they only had Origi covering for all 3 of Salah, Firminio and Mane

Now they brought in Jota but Origi is frozen out, so again they essentially have 1 player to cover them

They also only have rookie Neco Williams as cover for Trent Arnold and Tsimikas (who barely plays) as back up for Robertson

Obviously the problem is Antonios injury record but you also have to consider that Yarmolenko is still here for now so does free himself or Bowen for being back up striker....also Moyes can also revert to a back 3/5 which requires one fewer attacker then right now

I see teams like Arsenal wasting £30mil on Ramsdale or last year Sheffield United blowing money on Brewster and I think more and more that good old fashion coaching is more and more valuable these days (for all City and PSG success they've failed in the champions league)

Chelsea spend a lot obviously, but they also gave Chalobah a chance (he was linked with WBA a few weeks away for free) and he's grabbed it with both hands

It may not be the Red Bull model exactly, but Oxo-Flex has shown in his brief cameos and U23 role that he could be ready right now, Coventry is above and beyond the U23, Ekwah looks a superb prospect, Baptiste is phenomenal for a 18 year old and Alese has shown plenty of ability

When Antonio inevitably get injured I will be disappointed but he missed half the games last year and we coped

I really don't care about the champions league, feel too much of football is already ruined by money and greed, I supported West Ham in the championship and the Prem, don't think we're entitled to any better not do I expect it

But I love the squads attitude right now and the belief they have, I'd rather not have anyone then bringing in a Arnie, Payet or Haller who are gonna down tools or look like they'd want to be anywhere but here

I trust moyes and trust the lads we got....and if we lose half the team to injury then huge opportunity for our youth and I'd support them through and through
  • Munich. I was wondering the same thing, we all keep saying we need a striker, but what does that mean. Antonio is unique, or at best a rare player, so to find another Antonio is unlikely (unless we can clone him). Big No 9's that want high balls into the box at the first chance have largely gone out of fashion. The style of play for much of the Premier League is on the ground and that is how we now play. When we get corners or free kicks in the last third we bring up Ogbonna, Dawson, Soucek etc. What is needed is pace and knowing how to hit the back of the net. So not necessarily a striker but a fast attacking player that can score and fit in across the front, a bit like Lingard.
  • edited August 2021
    “ I love the squads attitude right now and the belief they have, I'd rather not have anyone then bringing in a Arnie, Payet or Haller who are gonna down tools or look like they'd want to be anywhere but here“

Totally agree, but there must be a striker out there with the right attitude that meets our requirements!
  • I have no idea how it could be seen as disrespectful.

If people want to see disrespectful posts they just need to look at all your comments on my match threads
  • True dat.
  • alderz said:

I have no idea how it could be seen as disrespectful.

If people want to see disrespectful posts they just need to look at all your comments on my match threads
    Out of order
  • You don’t turn on a fellow erz
  • Your match threads are disrespectful to the tradition of match threads.
  • Lukerz said:

You don’t turn on a fellow erz

You’ll be nexterz
  • Time ticking...
  • We have been linked to Thuram and luuk de jong today 🤔
  • Is that luukerz de jong 🤔
  • We have been linked to Thuram and luuk de jong today 🤔

I hope that’s Marcus Thurman and not his Dad.🙈
  • Perhaps it's Uma?
  • Well this makes for depressing reading:

https://www.claretandhugh.info/

I mean, it's Claret & Hugh, so every chance it's nonsense, but if it's true, then it's a worry.

The implication is that we're unlikely to sign a striker, are looking at a Lingard-type player (but it's 50/50 as to whether we get him) and there's a chance no-one else comes in.
  • Oo-er look at that, an 'erz love-in. =)
  • edited August 2021
    Sold Haller in January for a striker that isn't going to come. If we don't sign a striker this window i hope there are protests.
  • I am certain we will sign someone. There is not a fan that doesn't realise Antonio's hamstrings are one sprint away from another 6 weeks in the medical room. So for Moyes or the board to send us into a new season without a new striker would just be a massive failure.
  • I am certain we will sign someone. There is not a fan that doesn't realise Antonio's hamstrings are one sprint away from another 6 weeks in the medical room. So for Moyes or the board to send us into a new season without a new striker would just be a massive failure.

I think their argument will be that we have Bowen that can play as a striker.

That does of course mean Yarmolenko or Johnson playing right wing in Antonio's absence.

But I agree, to not bring in a striker, given Antonio's hamstrings, his international commitments and our 50-game season, would be a huge failure, IMO.
  • Yarma is a great back up striker - better then anyone with been linked with bar Braithwaite
  • Yarma is a great back up striker - better then anyone with been linked with bar Braithwaite

Our front line and the way Moyes sets us up to play requires pace. Antonio, Bowen, Benrahma and Lingard (last season) are all quick. Yarmolenko is not. He has no place in our forward line, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.