Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• I’m sure there are a lot of factors in it. Zouma has PL and European experience, he’s a good age for a CB, he speaks the language, wouldn’t need to move and settle in. I’m sure those things all factor in to varying extents
  • If you have a budget of £300k to buy a new home, it doesn’t mean you spend the same amount on a three-bedroom house as you do on a one-bedroom flat.
  • edited August 2021
    alderz said:

I’m sure there are a lot of factors in it. Zouma has PL and European experience, he’s a good age for a CB, he speaks the language, wouldn’t need to move and settle in. I’m sure those things all factor in to varying extents

Yeah, I can see that Zouma ticks a lot of boxes that would appeal to Moyes.

The problem is the two biggest boxes, i.e. the transfer fee and player's wages, are out of his hands.

If Zouma is Moyes' preference and he genuinely believes he can get him in, then throw £25m at Chelsea and get it done. I just think, and I believe this is where Fortune is coming from too, is that the £19m we're not prepared to spend would appear to guarantee one of Moyes' targets, whereas the £25m we're seemingly prepared to pay may not.
  • edited August 2021
    The other question mark over those figures is what impact will spending an extra £6m on Zouma have elsewhere.

If we're saying the budget is £45m, and Zouma and Lingard are Moyes' priority and they come in, that's the budget gone.

That £6m could be spent in securing a Coufal-esque bargain, or on a loan fee for a striker to cover for and compete with Antonio.
  • If you have a budget of £300k to buy a new home, it doesn’t mean you spend the same amount on a three-bedroom house as you do on a one-bedroom flat.

But a £300k flat in a desirable area against a £300k house in a less desirable area? They both serve the same purpose. It becomes a matter of choosing what best suits your needs at the time.
  • If we do only have £25m to spend would that not equate to three £20m players. My understanding is that you put in a down payment then spread the rest over the duration of the contract. I don't think wages comes into the same part of the budget as the transfer fee itself, capex v opex?
  • Capital expenditures (CAPEX) are major purchases a company makes that are designed to be used over the long term. Operating expenses (OPEX) are the day-to-day expenses a company incurs to keep its business operational.

You're welcome 👍
  • That's the site I went on to have a look for the meaning.
  • Could it be that Moyes wants to use some of the money available on improving the contracts of some players we already have? Many in our “first 11” are on less than those on the bench - not exactly motivating!
  • Coufal reportedly was disappointed about new contract negotiations, anything come of that?
  • Nico Schira, one of the more respected Twitter ITKs, has said that Milenkovic agreed terms with West Ham in July, but Fiorentina rejected the bid we made 🤔

Puts a slightly different spin on why it didn't happen. So was it greedy agents, or an insufficient bid?
  • yoyo said:

Coufal reportedly was disappointed about new contract negotiations, anything come of that?

Chasing Lingard, or placating Coufal?? You can change their names but an interesting dilemma(?) Moyes will know he can’t spend it twice
  • Capital expenditures (CAPEX) are major purchases a company makes that are designed to be used over the long term. Operating expenses (OPEX) are the day-to-day expenses a company incurs to keep its business operational.

You're welcome 👍

Exactly, so wages don't come into it. Therefore we can still make at least 3 x £20m signings with the £25m kitty.
  • yoyo said:

Coufal reportedly was disappointed about new contract negotiations, anything come of that?

yoyo, Hope the above answers your question.
  • IronHerb said:

Capital expenditures (CAPEX) are major purchases a company makes that are designed to be used over the long term. Operating expenses (OPEX) are the day-to-day expenses a company incurs to keep its business operational.

You're welcome 👍

Exactly, so wages don't come into it. Therefore we can still make at least 3 x £20m signings with the £25m kitty.
    That's assuming we have the money to meet the installments. We'll have to pay the £60m eventually.
  • I never understood the budgets we hear of to relate to what we actually spend right now but what we’re committing to spend to - so including the value or the instalments.
  • Cheers Fortunseeker, A good read
  • Milenkovic with his agent fees (£19M) plus Kurzawa for £6 million or Zouma for £25 million. Which is the better option?
  • edited August 2021
    Why would you pay £19m for a player you value at £14m, because his agent demands £5m? You don’t.

You do that & word gets out & all of a sudden agents start asking for millions from us. We’re basically paying £20m & a 1/4 of that goes to some agent. He’s a free agent next year. This is also a guy who hasn’t played outside Fiorentina & has been classed as ‘average’ by a few Italian football experts.

Zouma at £25m is a different kettle of fish. He’s PL hardened, a goal-scoring CB & is Moyes’ preferred target (it seems). It also seems Zouma is open to the move, albeit wants to be compensated for dropping down from Champions League football/PL title contenders to play for us. Fine by me.
  • Lukerz, Before anyone thinks I am trying to start an argument, because I am not, where does paying £25 million for Zouma leave us financially when we definitely need a CF plus possibly a LB & a CDM. Rumours Marseille want £14 million for Caleta-Car?
  • So you pay Zouma £160k a week. Then what do you pay Rice, Soucek et al?
  • IronHerb said:

So you pay Zouma £160k a week. Then what do you pay Rice, Soucek et al?

Exactly.
  • £160k a week, regardless of who they are, it's totally beyond us
  • Is that what Zouma demanded? I thought we only knew that he wasn’t satisfied with the offer we made. Doesn’t actually mean it’s super high.
  • Am i right that i saw somewhere he is on about 48k per week at Chelsea
  • yoyo said:

£160k a week, regardless of who they are, it's totally beyond us

I think I got that wrong. I read he wants c.£130k up from his current £60k. But it's all rumours of course.
  • £130k would still make him one of, if not, the highest earner and does he merit that?
  • £130k would still make him one of, if not, the highest earner and does he merit that?

That's right.
  • No way does he want £130k
This discussion has been closed.