Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Here's the article I was talking about.

The article kinda spoilt it at the end by claiming "West Ham’s spring surge to sixth could be traced to Lingard", ignoring the fact that we were 6th when Lingard arrived and also comparing Soucek to Fellaini which is a bit lazy.
  • I read, yonks back, a Moyes statement that he likes nimble " on the move " type strikers, like a Vardy, Ings. Bowen would fit that bill. IMO we still need another option but I'm not sure we'll see a "hold the ball" type centre forward
  • Oo-er look at that, an 'erz love-in. =)

Oo-erz*
  • Yarma is a great back up striker - better then anyone with been linked with bar Braithwaite

|Don't know what you've been drinking, but can I have some too
  • Well this makes for depressing reading:

https://www.claretandhugh.info/

I mean, it's Claret & Hugh, so every chance it's nonsense, but if it's true, then it's a worry.

The implication is that we're unlikely to sign a striker, are looking at a Lingard-type player (but it's 50/50 as to whether we get him) and there's a chance no-one else comes in.

I’m quite amused that you’ve just linked to the home page of their site after saying it’s depressing reading. I agree.
  • Yarma is a great back up striker - better then anyone with been linked with bar Braithwaite

|Don't know what you've been drinking, but can I have some too
    People had the same reaction when we were chasing Baca and I said Antonio would do a better job up top

• Well this makes for depressing reading:

https://www.claretandhugh.info/

I mean, it's Claret & Hugh, so every chance it's nonsense, but if it's true, then it's a worry.

The implication is that we're unlikely to sign a striker, are looking at a Lingard-type player (but it's 50/50 as to whether we get him) and there's a chance no-one else comes in.

I’m quite amused that you’ve just linked to the home page of their site after saying it’s depressing reading. I agree.
    https://www.claretandhugh.info/irons-striker-signing-hopes-sinking-fast/

🤦‍♂️

But yeah, Southon and Whetstone are possibly the worst West Ham site 'journalists' out there.
  • I don’t get the negativity towards Yarmo. He was banging them in at the euros. If Moyes is such a great manager, shouldn’t he be able to find a way to utilise his talent?
  • I agree he has talent but I think he doesn't really suit Moyes system and in general doesn't suit the premiership which is pretty unique in its pace and physicality.

Were I to say what role he can play for us at present I would probably say it's limited to when we are behind and all options have been exhausted, we just need throw him on because we know he can finish if he gets the chance. It's not a bad thing to have that player in the squad but you don't really want to be paying over 100k per week to them and you still need a striker that fits the system.

In my view we need a striker who is strong and fast, we need one who can take the pressure from Antonio which means we can rest Antonio more to prevent injury, Abraham would have been the dream solution, Armstrong who went to Southampton may have been worth a gamble, Lingard will most likely be where we end up. I think Moyes will be able to utilise him with Benrhama and Bowen as fresh legs with them in the same matches and as more of an attacker when Antonio is out, he may use Bowen instead and allow Lingard his usual deeper role.
  • I don’t get the negativity towards Yarmo. He was banging them in at the euros. If Moyes is such a great manager, shouldn’t he be able to find a way to utilise his talent?

I don’t think every manager can make every player work, regardless of how good the manager is. There will always be some they don’t work out, and Yarmo (to date) has not worked out.
  • I don't feel disrespected, as a great man once said, it's all about the onions.
  • The sad thing is, the ambition shown is pretty much a red flag for Rice to get out next season for sure. Then with the amount of contracts running out next summer coupled with no permanent signings to date, this club is very much going to be in trouble come next summer. Yarma gone, Fabianski gone, Noble gone, Ogbonna out of contract, Ben Johnson out of contract, Fredericks out of contract.
    Better hope all these youngsters break through because we are certainly not going to be able to replace half a squad.
  • We have 12 months until then.
  • Yarmolenko - no one really wants him here
    Fab - already replaced
    Nobes - already gone
    Ogbonna - needs a replacement
    Johnson - needs to be signed up
    Fredericks - won't be really missed, squad player
  • Lukerz, Realistically it’s actually 12 days till the current window closes & that is more of a indication to Declan how ambitious we are IMHO of course.
  • Lukerz said:

We have 12 months until then.

we had 6 months for Haller to replace and no where close
  • Fortune - true but my view is Declan goes either way. It doesn’t matter how much we prove to him. He will end up at the top at some point.
  • edited August 2021
    At least when Rice finally does go to Chelsea we won't have to keep seeing pictures of him and Mount all the time. Gets on my nerves.
  • I'm guessing he will go to Man Utd
  • Lukerz said:

No, but still came 6th.
  • Lukerz said:

Fortune - true but my view is Declan goes either way. It doesn’t matter how much we prove to him. He will end up at the top at some point.

Are we not the top? I’ve been misled then!!! 🤪⚒
  • IronHerb said:

At least when Rice finally does go to Chelsea we won't have to keep seeing pictures of him and Mount all the time. Gets on my nerves.

Why? Don't you think Mount will still be playing for Chelsea then....!!
    IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

No, but still came 6th.
    True, but quite fortunate with few injuries PLUS Lingard's fabulous form that helped to us to maintain where we were before he arrived, without this combination, might have been a different story...And YES, I know it wasn't!!....
  • IronHerb said:

Why? Don't you think Mount will still be playing for Chelsea then....!!

Cos I won't be interested in what Rice does once he goes.
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

No, but still came 6th.
    and what does that matter ?
  • We came 6th. I was happy with that and still am. We sold Haller and didn't suffer because of it.
    As Lukerz posted we have 12 months to deal with the out of contract players issue, some of which have already been dealt with. There are still 12 days to go in this window plus the January window plus next years summer window to deal with it.
  • I think we really need to be dealing with the here & now issues. As a few have said the out of contract players can be addressed hopefully in January or next summer if by some miracle steps haven’t already been taken to do so before the end of this month.
  • We ended last season with a positive goal difference and scored more goals than Arsenal or Chelsea.
    Most of these were not scored by a designated striker and this is a trait then runs through Moyes teams.

I think we will do alright even if we don't sign a striker but agree that we need to strengthen the team overall to be able to cope with all those games.
  • We ended last season with a positive goal difference and scored more goals than Arsenal or Chelsea.
    Most of these were not scored by a designated striker and this is a trait then runs through Moyes teams.

I think we will do alright even if we don't sign a striker but agree that we need to strengthen the team overall to be able to cope with all those games.

Striker or not, we need 2 forward players to get through the season. We currently have 4 suitable players, one of whom is extremely injury prone, for 4 forward positions; Lanzini and Yarmalenko do not fit with the fast, fluid, counter-attacking style that has been so successful for us recently. As such we don't even have a suitable replacement to provide a fresh pair of legs in the same style, and an injury would necessitate a change of style or formation.
  • In one respect we have been successful during this window as there were three high profile players who were under long contract but sought by bigger clubs, Rice, Grielish and Kane. Grielish went when Villa didn't need sell, it looks like Kane may go? but we have held onto our player.

Sadly it will still count for little regard ambition if a back up keeper is all we manage to bring in.
  • I wouldnt mind Luuk de Yong after a quick read up on him. Good injury record, good with his head and hold up play for our players behind him. Not prolific apart from in the dutch league but IMO we're looking for a back up for Antonio and he has traits that'd help the team if he was needed.

All that said, it feels strange that we've not been linked with more strikers in recent weeks... Perhaps that Moyes style recently mentioned by a few people. However, I think it'll be extremely remise to go past the deadline without any backup whatever traditional style Moyes tends to adopt.

We've certainly been linked with enough CBs and I do think we will get one, just a case of who. I hope that applies to a striker also and it'd be nice to loan a couple of players from the top clubs
This discussion has been closed.