Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Even if I have to amdit this has been a pretty miserable transfer window

Missing out on Milenkovic...even though I've never seen him play...is really frustrating and disheartening

Why waste 2 weeks if it isn't going to come off

Still excited for the season and sure we'll make moves....but yea this sucks
  • Yes it is very frustrating, but we have to wait until the end of the window and make judgement then.
  • 4th August - Leicester lose Fofana to injury
    13th August - Leicester buy Vestergaard

30th June - West Ham release Balbuena
    13th August - .....
  • Or it could just be a story put out by his agent to try and get his dosh
  • Surely not.
  • Haller leaves in January......
  • Or it could just be a story put out by his agent to try and get his dosh

Could be. We've said we're looking elsewhere, probably trying to pressure the agent, so he's doing the same thing.

But worse, because he's twerking for our biggest PL rival.
  • 4th August - Leicester lose Fofana to injury
    13th August - Leicester buy Vestergaard

30th June - West Ham release Balbuena
    13th August - .....

Leicester are a well run club. Unfortunately we aren't.
  • Lingard to Leicester for £20 million within a week would not surprise me.
  • Lingard to Leicester for £20 million within a week would not surprise me.

It would very much surprise me after his time with us during which he definitely seemed to feel at home.
  • It may be true but equally may just be playing us at what we appear to do, we seem to be associated with other centre backs whilst trying to complete the deal with him so maybe it's just a gee up for us in return.
  • Tottenham in talks for Milenkovic, according to Sky.
  • Someone ought to invent a drinking game around the excuses that will come out on September 1 IF we don’t make the signings we need.
  • Arsenal showing exactly that throwing money at a problem won't necessarily solve it
  • To be honest, we don't have a structural problem in that sense. The problem is that we're a couple of injuries away from no one to play in some positions. So it very much is about money for us - unless we promote youngsters and it doesn't look like we have a striker prospect who's ready.
  • I think Moyes feels Ogbonna may become a bit like Antonio and spend periods out through the season, hence the need for another first choice centre back.
  • edited August 2021

I think Moyes feels Ogbonna may become a bit like Antonio and spend periods out through the season, hence the need for another first choice centre back.

Or that we released Balbuena and as yet have not replaced him, not that he was always 1st choice… ( that’s apart from now also not having Alves as a possible back up as has been sent on loan to Sunderland) ….

We need a CB and striker at very minimum before end of transfer window otherwise this will be a horrendous window IMO….
  • My concern is still we end up, again, with fewer options for the squad than the start of the window and to have only 1 striker is bordering on insane
  • there is so much garbage in the media. it is getting late in the window but i still think Moyes will get some players in. I cant believe that he is releasing players without a plan to bring some in. lets judge at the end of the window rather than part way through.
  • I think what we're seeing is a power struggle between Moyes and Sullivan, personally.
    There were rumours of a falling out a few weeks ago, which were denied at the time, but a couple of comments that Moyes has made lately suggest there may be some truth to it.

Earlier in the week he was quoted as saying something along the lines of, 'we're trying to strengthen... we'll, I'm trying to strengthen the squad', and in yesterday's interview quoted by The Athletic he said 'I could just sign anyone to tick the box, but I want someone that will improve on what we have', which could suggest Sullivan has been offering him random strikers, something alluded to by more than one previous manager.

All speculation of course, but Moyes must know we can't play 40+ games with one injury-prone striker, and he must have targets in mind as to who he wants; I think he's being very deliberate with what he's saying to pressure Sullivan to get him who he actually wants.
  • Barney, Some players could be anyone when what we need is ones who are as good, preferably better, than what we already have. 👍
  • edited August 2021
    This is what happens when you don’t have a recognised scouting department & the manager decides he doesn’t want to sign recommendations from random agents.

I do feel that is the reason for our slow window. We basically operate without a recruitment team. It takes longer to identify, shortlist & negotiate targets as a result. The reason other clubs appear to get a player in with minimal fuss is because the likes of Villa, Leicester etc all have scouting systems. The fact we are now getting a Head of Recruitment is a positive step, but we won’t start to see the benefits of that appointment until next summer. It seems Moyes is basically solely responsible for identifying & signing players (with support from Sullivan/Brady) but he’s also trying to coach & prepare a team for the new season.

You only get away with winging it for so long.
  • Lukerz, Surely shouldn’t we expect to see some benefits in January in the next window?
  • Lukerz, Surely shouldn’t we expect to see some benefits in January in the next window?

No because I am going on the basis we don’t tend to spend in January.
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz, Surely we will have all if not most of the money we appear not to be spending in this window? The new DOF will want to be seen to be earning his money by discovering a couple of gems.
  • Lukerz said:

Lukerz, Surely shouldn’t we expect to see some benefits in January in the next window?

No because I am going on the basis we don’t tend to spend in January.
    Also, it's a notoriously tricky market where most values are inflated
  • With European football we should be attracting players. We appear either too mean, completely skint or hesitant. I wonder if Rice is looking on? It appears we aren't exactly pushing forward to be considered European challengers. Moyes must surely have a plan or ( luckily we got away with it kast season ) we're two injuries away from a long hard season.
  • Moyes was known for taking his time in the transfer window at Man U he wants to make sure he gets the right players , he has come out and said to not get caught up in the transfer frenzy and to trust him .
  • yoyo, I said earlier in the summer that the whole club is worse off financially that we realise due to the fact that we weren't spending whilst other were, without including the likes of Villa & possibly Spurs using the money that they have now got or expecting to get from massive sales. Another factor is the Womens team has let most of their best players go without any real quality additions, it is looking to be run a very reduced squad, see any similarity with the mens?

PLF, He has had several months to identify a striker but we are still waiting? The number of CH's is reduced with no incoming replacement.
  • I think we are heavily going to be relying on the loan market. The problem is making no new additions with one of the oldest squads in the league if not the oldest. We will run into a serious problem in a season or two when we don't have the capital to replace a heap of people all at once. Especially when the likes of Rice will be looking to move on on top of that.
This discussion has been closed.