Pre Season 2021

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Antonio going off for Johnson. Presumably that means Bowen upfront and either of the right backs on the wing?

This is why we need at least two forward players.

It's unlikely to be a switch we'd be making once our squad is back to normal though.
    I'm not so sure. If Bowen goes central (or is injured) who's playing RW with Yarmo reportedly on his way out?
    Moyes will sort it, don’t worry
  • MrsGrey said:

Antonio going off for Johnson. Presumably that means Bowen upfront and either of the right backs on the wing?

This is why we need at least two forward players.

It's unlikely to be a switch we'd be making once our squad is back to normal though.
    I think it’s interesting that it’s Johnson who’s playing the RW position. He was played there for a bit against Man U last season but looked very lost. It might be something Moyes is trying to get him more comfortable with for certain situations
  • Fredericks or Johnson ?
  • MrsGrey said:

Lanzini?

I was just really thinking that 1 new player would do, to replace Lingard?

Obvs if Yarmo leaves we'd want to replace him to, but not 2 in addition. If you see what I mean.

We need to replace Lingard, I agree, but we still haven't replaced Haller. I think we need a striker and a winger at least.

Hopefully Lukerz is right and Moyes will sort it. Abraham and Pereira would do for me.
  • edited July 2021

MrsGrey said:

Lanzini?

I was just really thinking that 1 new player would do, to replace Lingard?

Obvs if Yarmo leaves we'd want to replace him to, but not 2 in addition. If you see what I mean.

We need to replace Lingard, I agree, but we still haven't replaced Haller. I think we need a striker and a winger at least.

Hopefully Lukerz is right and Moyes will sort it. Abraham and Pereira would do for me.
    What Moyes has shown is even when short of options & replacements, he finds solutions in the squad. Bowen is basically a striking option as much as Antonio is. Moyes will tweak the system to sort any issues that arise but one or two signings won’t hurt.
  • Would Moyes go two up top?

If we are indeed after with the Calibre of an Abraham then I doubt they'd want to be benched, and while some aren't convinced that Antonio is a CF his stats talk for themself, he's not going to be benched

So maybe we ate planning on going to a front two, meaning we would only have two wide players, currently being between Fornals, Benrahma and Bowen
  • Absolutely need a striker. We have more games to play this season being in Europe, which means more games that Antonio will miss when injured/rested. Was hoping we would have signed one by now.
  • Would Moyes go two up top?

If we are indeed after with the Calibre of an Abraham then I doubt they'd want to be benched, and while some aren't convinced that Antonio is a CF his stats talk for themself, he's not going to be benched

So maybe we ate planning on going to a front two, meaning we would only have two wide players, currently being between Fornals, Benrahma and Bowen

Or Antonio moves back wide and they interchange.
  • That's why Sima could be a good signing. He can play through the middle and out wide, as can Antonio and Bowen. This means you can rotate the three and give one a rest, which will be vital if we're serious about competing on two fronts.

Benrahma, Fornals, Pereira, Bowen, Antonio and Sima would give good options and flexibility in the final third.
  • MrsGrey said:

Is this Celtics best XI?

According to the commentary it was near enough their strongest squad playing from the start
  • MrsGrey said:

Is this Celtics best XI?

Yes, based on the team that started on Wednesday in their Champions League Qualifier. Maybe they weren't trying too hard as the Second Leg is this week or we are just too good.
  • Given that they’ve got a CL second leg this week and their SPL starts next Saturday I would think the last thing they’d want is a 6-2 thrashing at this point.
  • edited July 2021
    Doubt it means much at all, but it looks like Coventry took the armband when Noble went off. Would have thought one of the senior pros on the pitch would have taken it.

Maybe Moyes wants to give him a but more responsibility? Reckon he could get a few games this season.

• That Forson is even smaller than Cresswell.
  • edited July 2021
    I think there is every chance that 11 yesterday will start the season at Newcastle. I don’t anticipate Souček, Coufal & Rice being ready for that opening game for anything more than the bench. I think Rice is due back the week of 9th August & the Czech boys the 2nd August.
  • Lukerz said:

I think there is every chance that 11 yesterday will start the season at Newcastle. I don’t anticipate Souček, Coufal & Rice being ready for that opening game for anything more than the bench. I think Rice is due back the week of 9th August & the Czech boys the 2nd August.

Can see the same, but hope Soucek is starting

He'd have 2 weeks to get back up to speed, and he's naturally super fit so don't think he'd need as long as some others would

Coufal the same, but between Johnson/Frdericks we can manage whereas I'm not convinced Noble/Lanzini partnership is solid enough
  • I really like the look of Lanzini as a CM, got a bit of the Modric about him, but I think it would need to be next to Rice or Souček.
  • I would hope that all three would be ready to start, although they would be coming in straight off a break their fitness should be good after an intense Euro tournament. It would be a shame for all teams if their Euro players had to miss the first weekend of matches.
  • Brentford v West Ham Sat 31st July K.O 3pm live on BT Sport
  • Johnson has looked sharp in pre-season, but I wish they'd decide if he's a RB, LB or RW....
  • Johnson has looked sharp in pre-season, but I wish they'd decide if he's a RB, LB or RW....

He's much more comfortable on the right side, IMO. I think he's very good cover for Coufal in the RB/RWB role.

I think he can do a job on the job, but I'd rather we brought in a left-sided player to play LB/LWB. Josh Doig of Hibs has been linked but I can't say that I've seen anything of him to know whether he can cut it in the PL.
  • Still have some reservations if Johnson is good enough defensively right now to play in a back 4

Looks promising going forward, will be a good option for RWB but I still think he's a little too rash

But he's young so still learning

Don't like him as a LWB although he is fairly solid when he has played there

May be wrong, but think the Doig lad won the writers young player of the year award in scotland
  • edited July 2021

I think he can do a job on the job

Honestly don't know what happened here. Obvs this should have said, 'job on the left'.

Doig does seem highly rated, and will hopefully be another Robertson (without the attitude) or Tierney if we do get him, rather than another Stephen Hendrie.
  • I think he can do a job on the job

Honestly don't know what happened here. Obvs this should have said, 'job on the left'.
    Job on the job
  • Apologies if this has been said before:

Sat 31st
    Brentford v West Ham United
    Friendly
    15:00
    BT Sport 1
  • Unsure if anyone is planning to go to the Atalanta game, if you are I would be interested in knowing how long it took to get your tickets?
  • I won't bore everyone with all the details but let's just say after having to jump through various hoops it took me five hours to sort 4 tickets out for the game using the online system & phone calls.
  • WH media posting a video of Soucek, Coufal and Yarmolenko all returning to training

Expect to see them for the weekend game against Brentford, failing that against Atalanta

Think all 3 could/should be fit for Newcastle
  • Looks like Masuaku took part in first team training today