Pre Season 2021

Comments

• Masuaku made his comeback in the U23s game against Aldershot tonight. Played 45 minutes and got an assist. Oko-Flex scored twice in a 2-2 draw; looks like he might be playing himself onto the first team bench.
  • Masuaku made his comeback in the U23s game against Aldershot tonight. Played 45 minutes and got an assist. Oko-Flex scored twice in a 2-2 draw; looks like he might be playing himself onto the first team bench.

Or at least glue it back together.
  • Areola, Coufal, Souček & Yarmolenko should all feature today. No word on Ogbonna. Rice apparently back Monday.
  • Surprised Yarmolenko is still here, may be a real chance he stays here for the last year of his contract

Wanna see Convetry given another chance, there are Championship clubs rumoured to be interested in loaning him....need to know if he's at the level to help us this season, if not he should go on loan as he needs some first team football for his development
  • I think Yarmo will stay until at least we sign another AM. I can see him staying all season, scoring 5-6 goals in cup games, getting a new contract and then getting injured immediately for all of the next season.
  • Do wonder if Yarmolenko could be really useful useful in Europa

He doesn't really suit the Prem, but his record for his national team and his record at Dynamo was great
  • No way Yarmelenko gets a new contract imo. Very much going to be sold or run his contract down his wages are way too high for a bit part player.
  • No Bowen today 🤔

None of the returning players either so not likely to be fit for Newcastle
  • Lukerz said:

No Bowen today 🤔

Do you think not? 2 weeks away, and they trained this morning...

I'd have thought they'd be on the bench at least.
  • Lukerz said:

No Bowen today 🤔

Hopefully just a niggle.

But, you know, West Ham.
  • No Ogbonna either
  • Lukerz said:

No Ogbonna either

He got injured in the last game, so wasn't expecting him to play in this one.

Bench doesn't look too good today. Where's Odubeko, by the way? Can only assume he's injured, too. The new lad Nevers picked up a groin strain recently as well so it looks like our injury luck is back.
  • edited July 2021
    Fabianski
    Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Coventry - Lanzini
    Johnson - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio

Is the line-up apparently
  • Team looks okay dont want to let them know to much before we play them for real
  • Fredericks is such a nervous player. Doesn't seem to want the ball, and when he does get it, he lacks any kind of bravery. Him and Johnson on the right have been pretty poor so far. Coufal and Bowen miles ahead of them.
  • edited July 2021
    And for someone that's 6' 4", Diop isn't very good when the ball's in the air
  • Who win Hammer of the year last season?
  • Lanzini looks promising at CM. Fornals and Benrahma are #ballers.
  • One minute of added time after a three minute injury stoppage.
  • edited July 2021

Lanzini looks promising at CM. Fornals and Benrahma are #ballers.

He needs an enforcer next to him really. Coventry hasn't had a great game and we've looked a bit exposed when we've lost the ball in midfield.

Fornals has been our best player, but we just haven't quite clicked so far.

Important to remember we have five nailed-on starters missing today, so this is something of a B team.

Good workout though, if not a great game.
  • Yeah, I think he'll be a good option alongside either Rice or Soucek, if one of them is injured or needs a rest. He does need to sense a danger a little better, and sometimes just play a simple pass a bit quicker.
  • One attacking option on the bench. Not ideal. I'd like to see more attacking options available for next weekend.
  • Coventry looks like he's got good technique and football intelligence, but he's very slow.
  • An Antonio shot goes out for a Brentford throw in.

This second half performance hasn't been great...
  • What a hit
  • I'm starting to hope Jesse doesn't come back, as it will give Benrahma more game time.
  • First bit of genuine quality in the game. Brilliant goal from Benrahma.

Coventry just gone close too.
  • Coventry had a really good habit of arriving late in the box without getting picked up. He has a little bit of Frank Lampard about him (but obviously not anything close to as good)
  • Coventry looks tidy to me. Hope he stays in and around the squad this season.
  • alderz said:

Coventry had a really good habit of arriving late in the box without getting picked up. He has a little bit of Frank Lampard about him (but obviously not anything close to as good)

He actually moves a lot like Gerrard, too. Clearly a good footballer, but he lacks pace and, obviously, experience.