The Big Europa League Adventure

Comments

• In Bangladesh I saw a calf on a rickshaw.

Any advances on calf on a rickshaw?
  • What about a Local with a lampshade on their head
  • edited May 2021
    yoyo said:

If we do then I'd love it soooo much if Coufal crushed him like the insect he is.
    Aslef said ,Payet left for family reasons and took a pay cut to leave. I respect him for that.

Aslef, you may be right and I'm doing him a disservice. I kind of recall that he went on strike and refused to play in order to force a move. If I'm wrong then I apologise to Payet . If the rumours were true then he's still a insect and I hope Coufal ( should they meet) slide tackles him Into row Z

• I saw coufal on a calf threatening the poor thing for walking past him
  • Hungary has a population of 9.7m, England 56m, why shouldn't we have more teams in Europe?

So Brazil has a population of 213.5m. Should they have four teams in the World Cup?
  • alderz said:

In Bangladesh I saw a calf on a rickshaw.

Any advances on calf on a rickshaw?
    I once saw Jack Grealish's calf on Luke Shaw, does that count?
  • I saw Grealish left a gibbering wreck after meeting Vlad =)
  • IronHerb said:

So Brazil has a population of 213.5m. Should they have four teams in the World Cup?

UEFA want two things; money and competitive games.

Teams from big countries like England, Germany, Spain or Italy bring large TV audiences and have strong teams.

Teams from the top flights of smaller countries like Hungary, Scotland or Norway aren't anywhere near the same level and aren't as popular with a worldwide market

Hungary's top flight is ranked 28th in Europe, the league's record transfer was Myrto Uzuni, signed by Ferencvaros last season for £1.4m.

If more teams from smaller nations got places it would be the equivalent of us playing our Europa League Group matches against Middleborough, Blackpool and Aberdeen

Not the level of entertaining football UEFA are hoping to sell to the world
  • They should just make a draw instead of giving already advantaged teams even more advantage. When you read this stuff it makes that super league idea seem perfectly in line with it all. It;s not too many steps from a club coefficiant to allowing a team into the comp just because they are a big club.

I know it's all about money but I was responding to C&B's post regarding straight knockout.
  • IronHerb said:

UEFA want two things; money and competitive games.

Teams from big countries like England, Germany, Spain or Italy bring large TV audiences and have strong teams.

Teams from the top flights of smaller countries like Hungary, Scotland or Norway aren't anywhere near the same level and aren't as popular with a worldwide market

Hungary's top flight is ranked 28th in Europe, the league's record transfer was Myrto Uzuni, signed by Ferencvaros last season for £1.4m.

If more teams from smaller nations got places it would be the equivalent of us playing our Europa League Group matches against Middleborough, Blackpool and Aberdeen

Not the level of entertaining football UEFA are hoping to sell to the world
    Isn’t there an argument that giving the smaller nations sides more exposure would also give them more money, and subsequently increase the quality of their leagues and level the playing field
  • edited May 2021
    alderz said:

Isn’t there an argument that giving the smaller nations sides more exposure would also give them more money, and subsequently increase the quality of their leagues and level the playing field

It might help but unless their domestic leagues received as much TV coverage as the Premier and the other big four get I suspect the difference would be negligible.

I also doubt if UEFA would be interested in sacrificing short term gains for long term improvements, its obvious from the way they've rigged the competitions that they want the big names playing as much as possible
  • Away goals rule scrapped for UEFA competitions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57599780
  • Odds on us losing out in the knockout stages because this rule has been scrapped?

Although I do agree with it.
  • This is how the last 32 of the Europa League is shaping up. (In no particular order)

1 Olympique Lyon
    2 West Ham United
    3 Napoli
    4 Olympique Marseille
    5 Beyer Leverkusen
    6 Real Sociedad
    7 Lazio
    8 Real Betis
    9 Sporting Braga
    10 Eintracht Frankfurt
    11 Leicester City
    12 Lokomotive Moscow
    13 Olympiacos / Ludogorets Razgrad
    14 Red Star Belgrade / Sheriff Tiraspol
    15 Malmo / Rangers
    16 Ferencvaros v Slavia Prague
    17 Malmo / Rangers v Red Star Belgrade / Sheriff Tiraspol
    18 CFR Cluj / Young Boys v Dinamo Zagreb / Legia Warsaw
    19 Ferencvaros / Slavia Prague v Olympiacos / Ludogorets Razgrad
    20 Kairat / Alashkert v Lincoln Red Imps / Slovan Bratislava
    21 Omonia Nicosia / Flora Tallinn v Antwerp
    22 Mura / Zalgaris Vilnius v Sturm Graz
    23 Fenerbahce v Neftci Baku / HJK
    24 Jablonec / Celtic v AZ Alkmaar
    25 Anorthosis Famagusta / Rapid Vienna v Zorya Luhansk
    26 Randers v Galatasary / St Johnstone

The remaining 6 teams will qualify from the teams below who are in the Champions League. (The draw has not been made for these games yet).

Red Bull Salzburg
    Brondby
    Legia Warsaw v Dinamo Zagreb
    Young Boys v CLF Clug
    Slavia Prague v Ferencvaros
    Malmo v Rangers
    Olympiacos v Ludogorets Razgrad
    Red Star Belgrade v Sheriff Tiraspol
    Shaktar Donetsk v Genk
    Sparta Prague v Monaco
    Spartak Moscow v Benfica
    PSV Eindhoven v Midtjylland

The EL 3rd Qualifying Round starts tonight along with the CL 3rd Qualifying Round. The CL losers drop to the EL Play Off round.

Clear as mud. 🤯
  • Still no Spurs that’s all that counts
  • Still no Spurs that’s all that counts

To be fair, they're probably kept out by Red Star Belgrade being on it three times!

I find Wikipedia is best at explaining these convolutions if I really feel the need to know.
  • Well done, IronHerb

The teams that qualify for the Group Stage into four pots of 8 based on their co-efficient. We're currently 10th out of the 12 teams confirmed in the Group Stages so the best we can hope for is Pot 2 but there are plenty of teams with a better co-efficient than us still in the mix so more likely we'll be in Pot 3
  • edited August 2021
    The Play Off round is starting to shape up and there are plenty of teams ranked above us in the coefficients (we're ranked 76)

Rangers (ranked 52) were knocked out of the Champions League last night by Malmo (88) and will play either Kariat (189) or Alaskart (179) . If Malmo get knocked out by Ludogorets Razgrad (58) they could end up in the same group as Rangers which would be amusing.

Celtic (46) beat Jablonec 4-2 in the first leg, if they win they have to play AZ (66).

Also in the Play Offs are Olympicacos (37) v Slovan Bratislava (152), Slavia Prague (35) v Legia Warsaw (98) and Red Star Belgrade (50) v CFR Cluj (97).

If all five teams ranked above us got through to the Group Stage we'd be 15th so still in Pot 2 but there will also be the losers of Champions League play off round and two of those see Monaco (40) v Shakhtar Donetsk (18) and Benfica (24) v PSV Eindhoven (56)

Pot 3 looking even more likely

• The last 32 taking shape. 16 confirmed with 16 ties to play.

Olympique Lyon
    Napoli
    Beyer Leverkusen
    Lazio
    Sporting Braga
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Lokomotive Moscow
    Leicester City
    Genk
    Olympique Marseille
    West Ham United
    Real Sociedad
    Real Betis
    Spartak Moscow
    Sparta Prague
    Midtjylland

Sheriff Tiraspol v Dinamo Zagreb (Loser)
    Young Boys v Ferencvaros (Loser)
    Monaco v Shakhtar Donetsk (Loser)
    Red Bull Salzburg v Brondby (Loser)
    Benfica v PSV Eindhoven (Loser)
    Malmo FF v Ludogorets Razgrad (Loser)

Red Star Belgrade v CFR Cluj (Winner)
    Rangers v Alashkert (Winner)
    Celtic v AZ Alkmaar (Winner)
    Fenerbahce v HJK (Winner)
    Legia Warsaw v Slavia Prague (Winner)
    Olympiacos v Slovan Bratislava (Winner)
    Rapid Vienna v Zorya Luhansk (Winner)
    Randers v Galatasary (Winner)
    Omonia Nicosia v Antwerp (Winner)
    Mura v Sturm Graz (Winner)

(Loser) - CL ties where the loser drops into the EL Group Stage.
    (Winner) - EL ties where the winner enters the EL Group Stage.

Ties to be played over the next two weeks.
  • Ex-player alert. Sofiane Feghouli scored for Galatasary v St Johnstone tonight
  • Dinamo Zagreb and Monaco took a big step towards joining us in the Europa League by losing 3-0 away and 1-0 at home last night. Red Bill Salzburg beat Brondby 1-0 at home

Just for giggles Tottenham's big European adventure begins on Thursday when they play Pacos de Ferreira in the Estádio Capital do Movel (capacity 9077). The city is tiny, you could fit the entire population into the stadium with room to spare, its about 20 miles from Porto and it takes about an hour to get there by bus.

So glad we finished 6th
  • Dinamo Zagreb and Monaco took a big step towards joining us in the Europa League by losing 3-0 away and 1-0 at home last night. Red Bill Salzburg beat Brondby 1-0 at home

Just for giggles Tottenham's big European adventure begins on Thursday when they play Pacos de Ferreira in the Estádio Capital do Movel (capacity 9077). The city is tiny, you could fit the entire population into the stadium with room to spare, its about 20 miles from Porto and it takes about an hour to get there by bus.

So glad we finished 6th

• See Tottenham are taking their European adventure seriously?
  • Shame was looking forward to seeing them go to places i had never heard of =)
  • steve, They probably still will when they bother to put out a proper team. I do hope we don't think we can just play the reserves in the Europa League otherwise what is the point of trying to qualify & then not give it a real go?
  • That doesn't sound like Moyes. I dont see the point of being ambitious aiming for Europe etc and not bothering to make an effort when in it
  • I was pretty frustrated with our efforts under Bilic but would be much more so if we didn't take this seriously now we're in the group stages.
  • I was pretty frustrated with our efforts under Bilic but would be much more so if we didn't take this seriously now we're in the group stages.

I’m frustrated that a minimum of six matches in Europe is not enough to attract anyone decent. I think that is odd.
  • After last night's Champions League playoffs the pots are

Lyon (FRA)
    Napoli (ITA)
    Bayer Leverkusen (GER)
    Lazio (ITA)
    Braga (POR)
    Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
    Leicester City (ENG)
    Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)

Genk (BEL)
    PSV Eindhoven (NED)
    Marseille (FRA)
    Ludogorets (BUL)
    West Ham (ENG)
    Real Sociedad (ESP)
    Real Betis (ESP)
    Spartak Moskva (RUS)

Sparta Praha (CZE)
    Midtjylland (DEN)
    Ferencváros (HUN)

Tonight
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Monaco (1-0)
    Brondby v Red Bull Salzburg (1-2)
    Dinamo Zagreb v Sheriff Tiraspol (0-3)

Roll on Friday!
  • You've missed Pot 2. We will be in Pot 3.
This discussion has been closed.