West Ham v Chelsea 24 Apr 5.30pm

Comments

• We played well but IMO we could be on the pitch until midnight and still not score. How many saves did their keeper make?
  • Lukerz said:

Pretty proud of the side there. We looked no different to them in quality & the farcical red card cost us any chance of a draw.

Don't think Balbuena staying on would have made a difference. We were toothless upfront. One shot on target all game? Just not good enough.

I get that whatever happens it's been a great season, but to be fourth and have Champions League football in our hands, only to stumble as we are right now, is hard to take.
    We’re not stumbling. The first half at Newcastle was nothing to do with squad depth. We lost because we had a horrendous first half as a team. That was our fault.

Today there was nothing in that game. 0-0 or 1-1 would have been fair. As it is, we ended up on the wrong side of the game & the ref call didn’t help.
  • Lee Dixon just said that this was the worst ever VAR decision he has seen.
  • Squad depth isn't catching up with us. Huge teams with £100m-£200m budgets are catching up with us.

But we could have given ourselves more of a chance of staying ahead of them if we weren't reliant on one injury-prone striker up front.

Yes, we're doing well to be where we are, but we could be doing better still if we had a stronger and more balanced squad.
  • I think the VAR ref controls the pictures that the onfield ref sees and that was just repeats of the slo-mo , if you watch it at normal speed it's obviously just him kicking the ball and unable to avoid following through. The slo-mo nearly always makes it look worse than it is. Also Christenson could easily have been booked for a late tackle on Soucek early doors meaning he would not have been able to take one for the team to stop us breaking
  • Looks like we move onto the battle for 6th against Everton

Wait. What happened to 5th place?
  • So he sends Rocky off for a follow through and books Christian for blatant cheating, you couldn’t make it up
  • I saw someone tweet that VAR amplifies weakness in referees and I think that's it. They make their decision and then someone in the VAR room tells them have another look and they suddenly have to question their instinct while everyone is watching. It takes a lot of strength to go the monitor and say you're sticking to your decision.
  • I'm starting the Burnley thread. I've had enough of this nonsense.
  • Ok but please change your profile picture.
  • Liverpool will have that. They’ve got a smooth run in. At least none of our final 5 can do the double over us.
  • Lukerz said:

Lukerz said:

Pretty proud of the side there. We looked no different to them in quality & the farcical red card cost us any chance of a draw.

Don't think Balbuena staying on would have made a difference. We were toothless upfront. One shot on target all game? Just not good enough.

I get that whatever happens it's been a great season, but to be fourth and have Champions League football in our hands, only to stumble as we are right now, is hard to take.
    We’re not stumbling. The first half at Newcastle was nothing to do with squad depth. We lost because we had a horrendous first half as a team. That was our fault.

Today there was nothing in that game. 0-0 or 1-1 would have been fair. As it is, we ended up on the wrong side of the game & the ref call didn’t help.
    We are stumbling, IMO. Dropped points to Arsenal. Lost to an average Newcastle. Didn't look like scoring today. Yes, we got good results against Wolves and Leicester, but struggled to see those games out.

There are reasons and we know what they are, but what annoys me is that we didn't mitigate the risks that were so obvious.
  • MrsGrey said:

Thing is, once they are sent to look at the monitor, they almost always ( will need to check facts) change their first decision.

That is what gets me, I assume that the VAR ref tells the pitch ref that there is something in this that he should look at, the pitch ref knows the VAR guy has looked at it multiple times and still thinks that it should be looked at. The Ref has to essentially overrule the conclusion being made by whomever is reviewing VAR.

If the incident was off the ball and the Ref did not see it then that is one thing but in many instances, the Ref probably saw the incident in real time and would have automatically made a decision in keeping with his training and instincts, I understand that the ref when reviewing the monitor can still decide the final decision but there is certainly pressure and bias being put upon him.
  • Var decisions may be poor but starting Noble is shocking from Moyes. He adds nothing and we just go back to being the old slow West Ham. As has been shown when he comes back. We needed more investment in January Antonio is as bad as Carroll with injuries and everyone knew that.
  • Oh and BTW, that was not in any universe serious foul play and cause for a straight red.

• ... if we weren't reliant on one injury-prone striker up front.

We're not. Our leading goalscorer played today..
  • Var decisions may be poor but starting Noble is shocking from Moyes. He adds nothing and we just go back to being the old slow West Ham. As has been shown when he comes back. We needed more investment in January Antonio is as bad as Carroll with injuries and everyone knew that.

Noble was one of our best players and I’m pretty sure the stats will back that up.
  • MrsGrey said:

... if we weren't reliant on one injury-prone striker up front.
    We're not. Our leading goalscorer played today..

Antonio offers more than goals, in my opinion. I think in the last two games we missed the focal point a striker can offer. Bowen and Lingard can be effective when they have space to run in behind but when that option isn't there, we look a bit lost. Even when Antonio doesn't score, he causes other problems.

• I get that whatever happens it's been a great season, but to be fourth and have Champions League football in our hands, only to stumble as we are right now, is hard to take.

No, I don't think like this. At all.

You can take a snapshot at any point ... let me try this....

ONG, only 9 points above the relegation zone

OMG 6 points from top of the league..

And so on. There will be ups and downs... why is no-one saying we are doing brilliantly to pull away from the relegation zone? Just because that was early in the season? But we have to play different clubs at different points - no single point in the season is more significant than any other - except at the end.
  • We are stumbling, IMO. Dropped points to Arsenal. Lost to an average Newcastle. Didn't look like scoring today. Yes, we got good results against Wolves and Leicester, but struggled to see those games out.

There are reasons and we know what they are, but what annoys me is that we didn't mitigate the risks that were so obvious.

so we stumbled, got back up and running against Wolves and Leicester, then stumbled again.

By that logic Liverpool stumbled earlier today and against Leeds, City stumbled against Leeds, Chelsea stumbled against Brighton and West Brom, Leicester stumbled against us and the only team not stumbling at the moment is Man U
  • And that's your prerogative Mrs G.

I just happen to think that it's a shame that an entirely predictable set of events (i.e. injuries to key players teamed with a thin and unbalanced squad) have hampered our run in, at a time when Champions League qualification was entirely within our gift.
  • That red must be rescinded.

Sadly they are calling it a game changer but I don't think we would have scored with 11 men and an extra half hour to play. No bite up front again. Lingard so often too deep.

No issue with effort, we gave it all we had. We just can't manage with the injuries we have now. Chelsea didn't look much in my view.
  • We are stumbling, IMO. Dropped points to Arsenal. Lost to an average Newcastle. Didn't look like scoring today. Yes, we got good results against Wolves and Leicester, but struggled to see those games out.

so we stumbled, got back up and running against Wolves and Leicester, then stumbled again.

By that logic Liverpool stumbled earlier today and against Leeds, City stumbled against Leeds, Chelsea stumbled against Brighton and West Brom, Leicester stumbled against us and the only team not stumbling at the moment is Man U
    But we stumbled even within the two wins. We haven't been convincing in any of our games for a while now. That suggests to me that our form is starting to fall away, ergo, we're stumbling, because for most of the season we have been defensively sound and generally in control of our game.
  • I walked into my kitchen after the match, turned the radio on (R5L) to find out much to my surprise that Balbuena was sent off for 'a late, dangerous challenge'! Honestly, I despair.
  • The standard of refereeing is so poor. They had an excuse when it was all in real time but reviewing that and still making a clearly wrong decision beggars belief.
  • So, is it that officials are just really, really bad, or is there something more sinister going on?

I ask because in the 2015/16 when we were threatening the top four we got some absolutely awful decisions against us in the run in. Remember conceding a penalty against Leicester when the foul was outside of the box?

And this season we've had some really dodgy decisions again. The ball clearly going out of play for Man Utd's opener. Soucek's red against Fulham. Balbuena's red tonight. Is it really the case that the game is corrupt? Are we just not supposed to finish that high in the league?
  • No, there's no conspiracy. Refs are just rubbish and VAR is creating more doubt than it's removing.

All teams could list out loads of poor decisions against them. We only focus on ours because we don't pay any attention to the other teams.
  • We’ve lost 4 of our last 8 but only lost 4 of the previous 23
  • We’ve lost 4 of our last 8 but only lost 4 of the previous 23

This season we've only lost to teams in the top 6, and Newcastle. It just so happens that some of those games against the super teams were bunched together in the last 8 games. I'm personally not concerned about form right now. If we lose more than 1 of the last 5 I'll be disappointed.
  • I'm starting the Burnley thread. I've had enough of this nonsense.

Ok but where is it?