West Ham v Chelsea 24 Apr 5.30pm

Comments

• Soucek saying that they said in the changing room “we should have started the game the way we did the second half”. Why didn’t they at least try to do that, we seemed to be nervous and scared to commit forward. I also think he is not as effective when he’s not got Rice with him and he’s restricted with Noble. Possibly he feels Rice can get up and down as he does but Noble hasn’t got the legs now.
  • It’s football. You can have all the best intentions, but you have another team of 11 players to beat.
  • alderz said:

I'm starting the Burnley thread. I've had enough of this nonsense.

Ok but where is it?
    And this is why I started this ill fated one. A lot of talk but no action. Time waits for no-one
  • alderz said:

I'm starting the Burnley thread. I've had enough of this nonsense.

Ok but where is it?
    It's in Lancashire, just north of Manchester 😁
  • That red must be rescinded.

Sadly they are calling it a game changer but I don't think we would have scored with 11 men and an extra half hour to play. No bite up front again. Lingard so often too deep.

No issue with effort, we gave it all we had. We just can't manage with the injuries we have now. Chelsea didn't look much in my view.

IMHO after Lanzini and Benrahma came on and just before the sending off, we looked the better team. We seemed to have more drive and passing was better.
  • Chelsea may not have been ultra dynamic but they're still one of the best teams in Europe ( on their day ) and we're disappointed we didn't get anything from the game, that's a massive improvement. We lacked a cutting edge but we still have 4 out the 5 very winnable games. They have 3 tough ones. All is not lost.
  • yoyo said:

Chelsea may not have been ultra dynamic but they're still one of the best teams in Europe ( on their day ) and we're disappointed we didn't get anything from the game, that's a massive improvement. We lacked a cutting edge but we still have 4 out the 5 very winnable games. They have 3 tough ones. All is not lost.

Champions League semi finalists, FA Cup finalists. Every player in their lineup is an international, most of them earn more than our highest paid players.

They’re a serious outfit.
  • I wasn't impressed. I think the best we have played against recently was Arsenal second half. Every time they came forward they looked like creating a goal scoring opportunity. Chelsea created very little against a poor patched up defence. They will need seriously step up in the week if hoping to cause Madrid problems.
  • alderz said:

We’ve lost 4 of our last 8 but only lost 4 of the previous 23

This season we've only lost to teams in the top 6, and Newcastle. It just so happens that some of those games against the super teams were bunched together in the last 8 games. I'm personally not concerned about form right now. If we lose more than 1 of the last 5 I'll be disappointed.
    Didn't we lose to Arsenal?
  • Chelsea looked hard to break down yesterday. I would like to have had Rice, Antonio and Cresswell on the pitch to see how much better we would have done.
  • MIAHammer said:

alderz said:

We’ve lost 4 of our last 8 but only lost 4 of the previous 23

This season we've only lost to teams in the top 6, and Newcastle. It just so happens that some of those games against the super teams were bunched together in the last 8 games. I'm personally not concerned about form right now. If we lose more than 1 of the last 5 I'll be disappointed.
    Didn't we lose to Arsenal?
    Sorry, when I said top six I meant the super big boy clubs, not the actual top six
  • edited April 2021
    The best thing to take from this game, was that there really was nothing in it. I thought both sides cancelled each other out, or were poor, depending on your stance. Chelsea were a little more threatening, most likely due to them having more players available, but there was nothing in the game except one half-decent move that Chelsea put together. Nobody would have moaned had it ended 0-0. I think they were just a little more polished.

Given we had five key players missing, I didn’t feel too disappointed. Had Chelsea lost, I highly doubt that would have been us saying top four was guaranteed, nor would they have given up. We should have the same attitude.

In hindsight, I just feel that back 3 is not currently helping us, so I think Diop & Ogbonna would have been better, with an extra ball-player in the side. Chelsea were just a little too streetwise to fall for the trap of our counter-attacks, & all those defenders didn’t really deal with the goal very well.
  • edited April 2021
    Oh dear. Just watched the match on repeat and we did exactly what Brighton didn't.

First half we showed them way too much respect (same as we did against Man U, etc), we sat deep, allowed them way too much time on the ball and didn't press them enough. At one point the three forwards were hanging back and Noble was chasing the centre backs.

It wasn't a penalty. Terrible defending for the goal, Oggy was marking Werner then went after Pulisic and no one picked up Werner

Chelsea are a different side defensively under Tuchel, they've now kept 10 clean sheets in 14 games and while they've conceded eight goals five of those were against WBA.

The red card was a joke

On the positive side Fredericks had a good game as LWB which gives us options in the future.

Onwards and upwards
  • I agree about Fredericks. I thought he was probably our stand out player, for me. His pace and willingness to work hard both up and down the flank was a real asset. The closest thing to Masuaku we have.
  • Summer training camp.....Please give Coufal some crossing and shooting practice, then we'll have the perfect full back
  • My one gripe about Moyes this season is we’ve shown Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool too much respect this season, especially in the latter half of the season when they haven’t been doing so well and we should’ve had more confidence to take them on because of our own league position. Weirdly, I actually thought we attacked City pretty well in the second fixture.
  • edited April 2021
    Timo Werner = Schnitzel Shane Long

Warning: a bit sweary
  • 😂 😂 that was quality
  • I look forward to these more than the games lol
  • No news of an appeal to the red card yet, but it's got to be coming, surely.
  • Evening standard said we are going to appeal
  • Sky saying we already have
  • Balbuena's red card has been overturned.

Twice now, even with on-field officials and VAR, we've been mugged off.

The standard of officiating in this league really needs to improve.
  • That is poor.
  • So is Chris Kavanagh going to be officiating a premier league game this week ? players and managers get fined for comments made about refs and this guy literally has failed at the job he is employed to do.
  • I think var officials are more to blame once you bring it to pitch side monitor the pressure to overturn increases not many stick to there guns do they ?
  • Wasn't Kavanagh only shown the slow motion impact after the ball had gone? I'm sure I heard that on Monday morning from Dermot Gallagher on SKY. If correct then he was hung out to dry by the VAR ref Peter Banks.
  • So is Chris Kavanagh going to be officiating a premier league game this week ? players and managers get fined for comments made about refs

Only when the comments are about bias or something like that. They don't get fined for saying the ref was poor.
  • There were warnings about ten years ago of a growing referee shortage, fewer people were prepared to take the abuse dished out at lower level matches and as a result the quality of those progressing to the professional game has gone down.

We're getting the best of what's available, if we want better refereeing then we need to treat our referees better at every level
  • Bit of a chicken and egg situation then.