West Ham v Chelsea 24 Apr 5.30pm

Thought I would start this thread as I am probably in the minority of people who think we will get something from this game and also that CL is very much do-able

Hopefully the return of Cress, a back 4, to include Oggy, will return us to our early season frugality

1-0 Hammers

Comments

• Fat frank derby
  • The Carlton Cole Derby
  • Can’t believe after all Jordan’s whining about the defending he hasn’t started the match thread to tighten us up. I guess that profile pic was just a joke to him
  • The Joe Cole Derby
  • The Jimmy ( time for a quick pint before kick off ) Greaves derby
  • The Glen Johnson Derby.
  • The Scott Parker Derby 🌪
  • The Peter Brabrook derby.
  • The Scott Minto derby. Loss.
  • I don’t know whether to go into this with the Europa League pic or the Champions League. Need to think about it carefully.
  • I don’t know whether to go into this with the Europa League pic or the Champions League. Need to think about it carefully.

You could always go for this one?.....
  • The David speedie and John terry derby
  • The Wayne Bridge derby.

• The "Gatling Gun" George Hilsdon Derby

• If this fixture still happens I hope we bury them for all that is good in football.
  • Opportunity here after Chelsea's performance tonight

Likely they'll be feeling the pace as they've played 6 games since the international break (in comparison we have played 3) and looked pretty uninspired tonight

They have a big game against Real on Wednesday (which I'm assuming will go ahead) but also have to play against Man City, Leicester, Arsenal and the FA cup final before the end of the season
  • Team talk for this one writes itself. Just stick the Super League announcement up in the dressing-room so our players remember they tried to steal the Champions League from us in a shabby backroom deal.
  • No one will care about the Super League by the time Saturday rolls around

Get over it
  • I will care about it for a long time, but each to their own.
  • edited April 2021
    Fairy Nuff

I think the Super League has been the most hilarious thing for decades
  • edited April 2021
    Chelsea looked very average last night against Brighton
  • Tuchel reckons it was because the players were distracted by the ESL situation. We could really have done with that ahead of our game.
  • Well they will just have to be distracted by our skill and work rate then
  • Tuchel was the only PL manager who did not say anything against the ESL concept. Now he's hiding behind it.
    Poor, very poor.
  • Everything about that club is despicable
  • Fairy Nuff

I think the Super League has been the most hilarious thing for decades

Football clubs are giant corporations and have scented money. They won't easily give up and will revive the concept, albeit in a revised form. It is only a matter of time. The front-line staff may love fans and crowds, but the owners/controllers love money. We have seen football business model change so much. When I first started going to football matches in the 1960s, teams had homegrown players, often local lads, that you could identify with. That got replaced by players from other regions/cities and countries, but Clubs still had affinity with localities and their base. Now the ESL supporters want to cut that link.
  • edited April 2021
    So this appears to be our "must win" game.

Liverpool play Newcastle 12:30 Saturday, ideally a draw or a loss would keep us 5th but I doubt if they'll be as generous as we were so we'll probably be 6th by the time we kick off.

If Liverpool win and we draw with Chelsea then we'll still be 6th on GD

One ray of hope is that Chelsea were awful on Tuesday, they had 7 shots compared to Brighton's 11 and 2 of those were from Giroud who was only on the pitch for the last 15 minutes.

Brighton pressed Chelsea high up the pitch and they made mistakes, we need to do the same and Moyes was in the stands.
  • I think if we lose to Chelsea were probably out of the top 4 race and we are in a race for 6th.
  • I'm worried we'll finish seventh (insane to be "worried" about that at this stage of the season)