Couldn't think....part 4

Comments

• International break so nothing really happening.
  • Newcastle take over ,Could be in for Rice =)
  • International break and its hard to get excited about England v Andorra on Saturday
  • Antonio has pulled out of the Jamaica squad.
  • I read earlier on that one pundit believes Antonio’s international career won’t go on much longer as 🇯🇲 aren’t likely to qualify for Qatar 2022.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58843445

Anybody got any views on this? Fulham don't really benefit from Godden's subsequent ban for "simulation", the match is level, he scores the penalty, and Coventry go onto win 4-1!
  • Adds strength to the arguments of those who want VAR in the Championship.
  • I appreciate that VAR costs money but surely the Championship warrants it's use.

Although not perfect VAR for me is the best innovation added to the game for many years, early teething problems now being tweaked I think most will be in favour soon. I like knowing that if a goal is scored it will be looked at and awarded on the rules rather than the chance of a man who could be anywhere on the pitch seeing something. I also like that it cleans up the game and prevents the so called hardmen of yesteryear being able thieve a career by often not much more than imposing themselves physically.
  • On ITV4 now, 1980 F.A cup 6th round at home to Villa
  • I See the VAR screen has burnt down at the Andorra stadium. 🤷‍♂️
  • Cant wait to see what punishment UEFA dish out to Scotland for dissing the Israeli anthem.
  • And on a lighter note....Yarmelenko scores for Ukraine.
  • Yes he has & with his right foot!
  • Bloke warming up for Andorra looks like a Harry Kane clone

Southgate decided the game is too one sided and levelling up?
  • IronHerb said:

Cant wait to see what punishment UEFA dish out to Scotland for dissing the Israeli anthem.

They've not punished England fans for booing opposition anthems at almost every international match so why should Scotland get sanctioned?
  • So glad I set the alarm to get up and watch the fight this morning.
    One of the best heavyweight fights I’ve seen for years. Fury would’ve won it by a street if it had gone to points, but man alive that Wilder showed some guts , he looked finished from the sixth onwards but just refused to go down until Fury finally nailed him in the eleventh.
  • IronHerb said:

Cant wait to see what punishment UEFA dish out to Scotland for dissing the Israeli anthem.

They've not punished England fans for booing opposition anthems at almost every international match so why should Scotland get sanctioned?
    I understood that part of the UEFA Euro investigation included the booing of anthems.
  • While the games against the likes of Andorra, and San Marino etc seem a bit pointless and hard to get excited by, they deserve their place in the qualifying stages as they are genuine European countries, and thus it is their right to field a team.

What I do not understand is those who are not Euro countries taking part and increasing fixtures.

Kazakhstan, and Israel are definitely not European counties. Take part in the Asian qualifying.

Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan, also are not European so should partake in the Asian qualifiers too. However, while not classed as European, they are members of the European council (which all euro nations excepting Belarus are members strangely!), so they have a slight argument in their favour.

And Gibraltar and Faroe Islands are not even countries!
  • Gibraltar and Faroe Islands are not even countries!

Technically, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland aren’t countries though, right? It’s the United Kingdom until it comes to sport
  • edited October 2021
    alderz said:

Gibraltar and Faroe Islands are not even countries!

Technically, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland aren’t countries though, right? It’s the United Kingdom until it comes to sport
    Ah, hadn't thought of that!! Ha!

With that I will lean to tradition that dates back to the forming of the sport that has always had us as separate nations for international football.

Also, I think they are each designated as countries in their own right by UK law, that come together as the sovereign state UK.

But it is a fair counter shout alderz!
  • edited October 2021
    Kazakhstan, Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan etc. were all part of the Soviet Union which was a member of UEFA, they inherited UEFA membership when the Soviet Union split

Israel was a member of the Asian Football Confederation but many countries refused to play them and in 1974 they were excluded from AFC competitions. In the 80s they played in UEFA then for some bizarre reason they joined the Oceania Football Confederation with Australia and New Zealand but since 1991 they've been playing in UEFA

A bit hard to play away matches if the team aren't allowed into a country on Israeli passports (or in some cases any passport with an Israeli stamp in it).
  • I think if teams refuse to play them they shouldn’t be able to play, personally. Apartheid South Africa wasn’t allowed to play, but Apartheid Israel just gets to move to Europe
  • Israel has been playing in international competitions for decades, they won the Asian Cup in 1964, they nearly made it to the 1958 World Cup but lost the playoff to Wales and they entered a team for the 1934 World Cup as the British Mandate of Palestine (lost 11-2 over two games against Egypt)

Before they were suspended by FIFA in 1961 South Africa had only played friendlies and hadn't entered a team for the World Cup qualification

South Africa was one of four founder members of the Confederation of African Football in 1956 (along with Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan). They were going to play in the first African Cup of Nations in 1957 but they wanted to send either an all-white or an all-black side which the other countries found unacceptable. They were expelled from CAF in 1958,

Between losing 3-1 away to Portugal on 16 November 1958 and winning 1-0 at home to Cameroon on 7 July 1992 South Africa played just one international football match, beating Rhodesia 7-0 at home on 10 April 1977

Well, that's a hour wasted Googling, better get on with my chores...
  • alderz said:

I think if teams refuse to play them they shouldn’t be able to play, personally. Apartheid South Africa wasn’t allowed to play, but Apartheid Israel just gets to move to Europe

Tricky - teams should be expected to fulfil all their international obligations, rather than get to pick and choose which matches they play. It needs agreement at federation level, really.

(Not that I'm any fan of the Israeli govt, obvs)
  • I popped in to the shop (local supermarket) for a few odds and ends this morning, and discovered that they have got the Christmas stock out on the shelves.

I kid you not.

• A card shop in my town had Christmas cards on display in September. I find it so annoying
  • My wife brought home a box of mince pies at the weekend they are out of date in Nov so will have to be eaten
  • Mrs G, Over here it is to cover the space left where the regular stock hasn't either been produced or delivered. Anyway it gives people the chance to panic buy before we run out at Christmas! =)
  • I haven't seen any shortages.
This discussion has been closed.