Fulham on Saturday

167891012»

Comments

• Cuz1 said:

IronHerb said:

In the Prem £38-42k annual retainer plus £1150 per game. So a max of around £70k plus additional cup, euro and International fees for the very top.

I didn’t realise they were payed so well assume they get travel expenses too
    I think pre covid they were put up overnight and driven to and from the games for Prem games. So yes, Ex's were/are paid or covered.
  • IronHerb said:

In the Prem £38-42k annual retainer plus £1150 per game. So a max of around £70k plus additional cup, euro and International fees for the very top.

I read an article from last year which said Dean was on £200k pa plus match fees
  • Just checked and my figures were at start of 19-20 season. Maybe fees have risen plus additional fees to cover VAR duties. £200k sound a lot for basic.
  • www.sportbible.com/football/news-202021-premier-league-referees-salaries-revealed-20200913.amp.html

This was the article. No idea how reliable!!
  • MrsGrey said:

I imagine they don't go into reffing after retirement because it is hard work for little reward.

Yeah, I've got no doubt that's why none have, but I just think for the benefit of the game it would be good if they did.
  • I think there should be sufficient incentive to encourage people to see it as a career and devote themselves to it. Considering the amount of money in football I would expect the best refs to receive around 200k plus matchday fees and expenses. I am not sure of the system in place but if there was a tier system which allowed well performing referees to go up a tier and of course drop the under performers down a tier. perhaps 200k Premiership and Championships at tier 1 dropping to £100k for division 1 & 2.

I played when younger and coached a while back when my kids were young and as a coach on the occasions we got a good referee you really could tell the difference close up. It was not just about getting decisions correct, but a good referee shapes how the game is played by ensuring the players know who is in charge and communicating firmly but well with them, A good Ref would even control the supporters (mums and Dads) if they got out of hand. They just knew what they were doing. There are a few that would definitely have had the potential to become top referees.

On the other side of course many games when the kids were younger, so maybe 8 or 9 were 16 year old lads earning a little pocket money by reffing a couple of games on a Saturday. The funniest thing I ever saw was this young lad who didn't even bother to turn up in his blacks, just tracksuit and a hoodie, that was fine of course, but he took a phone call ........ whilst the ball was in play.
  • edited February 2021
    Re: Mrs Grey on Experts

Unless of course you're Michael Gove ;)
  • C&B I think £200K might be a bit on the high side if they are going to be paid for actually reffing a game on top.
    Maybe £200K to cover the 38 PL games they will cover in some capacity either as ref or 4th official with additional amounts for cup ties or something along those lines.
  • I think having reflected on this game, I am happy with the point. We didn’t click going forward, did not get control of the game, were hassled by Fulham who played really well overall, yet still defended well, kept going & took a point. I don’t remember Fab making a save & all their efforts were from pretty much outside the area. Shame we could not fashion one period of play where we got on top & pinched a goal, but sometimes you just don’t gel as an attacking unit. As long as the Souček red gets rescinded, I am content with a point.
  • Duncan Wright of The S*n has said Dean's been told by his bosses that he was wrong to send Soucek off and that the card will be rescinded.

If this is indeed the case, it'll be interesting to see if Dean and Mason will face any consequences. Two decisions overturned over successive rounds won't be a very good look.
  • Yep, lot’s of reports tonight the red will be rescinded.
  • I doubt they will be working together again for a while, a pairing that look to make the less than obvious call almost deliberately.

Mason had to work to come up with this closed fist idea to allow himself make the least obvious conclusion. Ignore the body shapes, the place of contact, where the eyes were and the moments in the lead up just to conclude that his hand closed meant intent.
  • Duncan Wright of The S*n has said Dean's been told by his bosses that he was wrong to send Soucek off and that the card will be rescinded.

If this is indeed the case, it'll be interesting to see if Dean and Mason will face any consequences. Two decisions overturned over successive rounds won't be a very good look.

But his bosses don't make the decision. The disciplinary panel does.and it has to be unanimous. ( I think that's the case - I haven't rechecked that fact).
  • MrsGrey said:

But his bosses don't make the decision. The disciplinary panel does.and it has to be unanimous. ( I think that's the case - I haven't rechecked that fact).

I think that is the case. Rightly or wrongly though, when there's such an obvious mistake, you would be forgiven for feeling that there might be a general consensus (at the PGMOL) that it should be overturned, and that the panel, independent or not, should follow that lead. The PGMOL tend to be overly protective of their referees, so if even they agree it was a bad decision, then the panel may be likely to agree.
  • The card has been rightly rescinded, Dean should be suspended as it was another massive error. I dislike the man a lot that is all I will add🤪
  • I suspect his request for a break after the match at Leicester is him being quietly shepherded out of sight for a bit. He may have been asked if he needed a break if you get my meaning.
  • edited February 2021

I suspect his request for a break after the match at Leicester is him being quietly shepherded out of sight for a bit. He may have been asked if he needed a break if you get my meaning.

I personally don’t believe that for one minute.
    Dean has been around long enough to ride the wave IMO, but as always we all allowed our own thoughts 👍🏻

Personally think that death threats to his family are far more a probable reason.
  • edited February 2021

Personally think that death threats to his family are far more a probable reason.

Whatever we think of his refereeing that is totally out of order (the death threats not Jay's post!). I hope the police are able to track down the guilty parties and appropriate action is taken.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55975458

How did Lingard make team of the week? He hardly did anything in the Fulham game. Yes, did great in the Villa game but fairly anonymous (like a lot of our players) in the Fulham game.
  • He ran a lot.... =)
  • MIAHammer said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55975458

How did Lingard make team of the week? He hardly did anything in the Fulham game. Yes, did great in the Villa game but fairly anonymous (like a lot of our players) in the Fulham game.

How did Martinez?!
  • Maybe these ratings were over the last two matches so Lingard probably justifies his place.
  • It’s team of the week not night.
  • Well the last team of the week was published last Tuesday morning. So all teams have played twice since then and hence performances would qualify for team of the week.
  • Garth Crooks annoys me more than Lawro/ng. And because its BBC, I'll have to put up with them for life >:)